ReSetting Service Interval/Diagnostics

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

ReSetting Service Interval/Diagnostics

Post by Boxer »

I am in the process of doing my routine 10K service on the new bike, but the service manual CD says I have to reset the service interval with the computer and run a diagnostic to bring the service timeing in the computer up to date.

Rob, I'm sure you know what I'm referring to here. Do you have that little computer diagnostics tool?...and can you reset the computer service interval on the F800/F650 GS twins with it? I think Thad bought one of those things as well, and we maybe could even do it at the Bash as a little tech session.

I did my oil change yesterday and today. One afternoon this week I'll do all the brake fluids, and run down the list of checks. Non ABS..hehehe. Valves aren't required to be checked until the 20K interval.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: ReSetting Service Interval/Diagnostics

Post by CycleRob »

Boxer,
I do plan to buy that GS-911 diagnostic tool soon. Since a very tiny IO Gear USB BT adapter makes my 17" HP laptop BlueTooth capable, I'll get the $350 BlueTooth version. When I say very tiny, I mean VERY TINY. Amazingly, that BT adapter was free after rebate at Fry's Electronics last year.

The GS-911 Enthusiast model is limited to 10 BMW M/C VIN numbers, but you can upgrade the firmware to the Professional version's unlimited VIN's with a download and $200 added to your credit card. The GS-911 webpage is HERE. Scroll down the page to the dozen ThumbNails, then hover over them to enlarge them for inspection. That GS-911 sure does a lot!! It can also identify any malfunctioning component so it can be replaced, with NO guesswork!

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: ReSetting Service Interval/Diagnostics

Post by sweatmark »

Thanks for reminder about the GS-911 device. Considering its applicability to both my Rockster and Mrs. Sweatmark's F800S, it's a must-have tool.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)