72k Mile Service Results

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ProductUser
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

72k Mile Service Results

Post by ProductUser »

I just completed my 72k mile service, which is really a 24k mile service with an alternator belt change. I just wanted to post my findings/observations for the board.

I ride in a wide range of temps ranging from the 20's to 110+ throughout the year. I ride solo 99% of the time. I use BMW 75/140 in the final drive and transmission since the bike turned 600 miles. Mobil 1 15-50 is used the motor.

The magnetic drain plug on the final drive showed very, very little ulta-fine-dust-like shavings.

Both the final drive and transmission lube smelled fine.

Valve clearences didn't move one bit. The TB's were off a bit, which was no big deal.

The alternator belt looked fine. There were no cracks on the belt.

I removed the QD's about 60k miles ago, so removing the talk was easy.

The air filter looked like crap. I will start replacing it every 12k miles.

That's about it.

Total parts: $160
Total time spent: 3 hours.

Tony
Last edited by ProductUser on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wncbmw
Lifer

Re: 72k Mile Service Results

Post by wncbmw »

Tony - this thread is doomed to die an early death. No drama, no complaints, no failures. How boring! :lol:

Seriously, glad to see you got such good service out of your ride. I suspect there are lots of others like you. I hope to do a 72,000 mile report one of these days!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
toolinalong
Double Lifer

Re: 72k Mile Service Results

Post by toolinalong »

yep. agreed. sounds exactly like what I would have said about my 72k service.

But add a fuel filter. At my first 24k service, when I went to pick the bike up at the dealer, I asked him why he had not replaced the fuel filter as the book calls for. He said duh, I don't know.
That is when I started thinking maybe I will just start doing my own...and so I taught myself how, with a lot of help from you all on this board. thanks again.

Bob
"none.nada.thank you."