BMW MOA and RA Rallies

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: BMW MOA and RA Rallies

Post by R4R&R »

Great write-up - great trip! Fun to read and you kept us right there with you!

Thanks!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
drsales1
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by drsales1 »

You must have stopped at the same place I did on Rt16.Image[/img]
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

drsales1 wrote:You must have stopped at the same place I did on Rt16.
I did, as a matter of fact (thanks for reminding me of name of the road I was on. :oops: I ran through part of it and decided it looked so pretty, I needed to experiment with the RAM mount I put on my front brake reservoir. So turned around and did it again, this time with the camera on.
R4R&R wrote:Great write-up - great trip! Fun to read and you kept us right there with you!
Thanks for the kudos, John! Hope to see you again at next year's Bash.

On with the show: now it's Friday, July 24

OU812 and I decide to ride together for the Chicken Run. I seem to recall we scratched around a gravel road in the morning before the run, but it's hard for me to believe I had that kind of energy. Maybe he can confirm.

"What are you doing over there?"

My middle name is Fairfax. I never found out why. Could this be the reason?

I think at this point we switched bikes, he let me ride his R1200RT. What a great bike! Lots of wind protection, but it didn't feel any heavier on the rode than my unfaired Rockster. So nimble! No wonder Marty2 loves his so much.

We arrived at the Chicken Run and saw some neat stuff before settling down to the $8 chicken dinner (it was pretty good).

My bike in the background, wondering if it will see the same age as the two cool old war horses up front.

Thought this looked like a neat way to carry your pet on your bike.

I captured some video around the rally grounds here, so I'm hoping to get my Youtube act together soon. Will post a video link here some point in the future.

EDIT: Link is now available

After the lunch we returned to the resort. I probably napped (can you tell I like naps at this point?), maybe I poked around the vendor area. OU812 and I then ventured out for dinner, when the evening's planned meal (heavy German food) struck us both as unappealing. We puttered up to Davis and stopped in at Hellbender Burritos

Tasty! Worth a visit if you're in the area. Back to the rally grounds again, for some beers with Ted. I kept my 'Stich on overnight because...
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

This is what 38F looks like to a digital camera that's been left out in a topcase in that temperature.

38F in late July. In West Virginia. I must admit, I was very surprised. I guess it's better than roasting.

It's now Saturday, July 25. Last of the BMWRA Rally. The day did warm up quite a bit, well into the 80s by the time this picture was taken.

OU812 and I did a short run around Seneca Rocks. We wanted to be back in time to check our door prize tickets. We weren't going to get blanked on a 2nd rally in a row... Were we? Again the condition of the roads slowed me down quite a bit (I'm a fraidy cat). OU was nice enough to wait for me in spots, take in the scenery. Wonder how he got stuck with such a boat anchor for a riding partner. Wonder what awesome prizes await him back at the rally.

Spoiler: the likeliness of his getting any prizes rivaled that of me becoming Valentino Rossi by the next time we ride together. My luck was similar.

Another experiment with video, this time around the rally grounds. Again, should be back here with video links in the future.

EDIT: Link is now available on pic below

EDIT: This is part 2. There is a part 2 because I was not convinced the video was actually working for some reason. So I turned it off and on again.

By the time the Final Ceremony was taking place, bad weather had moved in and it was pouring out.

After the prizes were given out (none to us), the pavilion cleared out quickly.

We had a few beers under the roof, checked out the scene. OU812 had some calls he had to make, so I did a bit of exploring. A tent was set up just behind the resort, up the hill from the pavilion. It was the vintage bike judging area, so I went to ogle some old bikes. I bumped into Fred Rau, and mentioned how much I enjoyed his articles on Motorcycle Consumer News. We chatted a bit about bikes when Voni Glaves showed up with another woman (I've now forgotten the name), the apparently long-suffering companion of Steve Coburn(?). Before I knew it, I was in the middle of a memorial service for Steve, who I guessed had passed away recently. One of the more unusual ceremonies, David Hough had some rather harsh descriptions of Steve ("Let's face it, he was a putz!"). But it was tempered with lots of admiration for the energy and thoughtfulness he put into the motorcycling community. As an example, at one rally when he heard lots of complaints about the slamming doors of the outhouses in the camping areas, unsolicited, he set about putting rubber bumpers on the doors to quiet the noise.

After several folks chimed in with their memories, it was decided that they would sprinkle his ashes on the rally grounds. So we walked down the hill a bit and into the woods.

As the memorial broke up Steve's companion wondered what would happen to the magazine he founded, Oilrag. I mentioned I hadn't heard about it, but may want to lend a hand, and even mentioned my writing background. Not sure why I brought that up, I haven't done technical writing in at least 15 years, at least on a daily basis. I guess the beer, the old bikes and the memorial swept me up. I gave a gentleman (a Backroads editor) my card, and they have yet to get back to me.

Afterward, I went to the little sandwich shop they had and got a small pizza (which I wasn't sure I wanted after the enormous breakfast buffet I had in the morning). While I was waiting Lee Parks showed up with his girlfriend Christie, and they sat down with me. And we chatted a bit. Lee confirmed Steve's ability to be quite difficult, but I didn't pry into any more details. He mentioned that he was getting ready to pack up, and noticing how tiny his girlfriend is, I offered to help. Having done my volunteering effort for the RA rally, I decided to turn in.

OU812's hotel companion bailed on him, and offered the other bed to me. With the rain, and the prospect of a long slab the next day, I accepted gratefully.
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

=D> Good stuff!
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

And John does not snore!
Thanks for THE ride report. :D
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

When riding with CycleRob and MissDeamner we stopped at the top of Blodd Mtn (I think) and they had inmates working on the building and stone work. Still can't figure out what this was for:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... CN0256.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... CN0255.jpg
Riding to Clarksville Ga I got it on and put some never seen before wear on my rear tire.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... CN0259.jpg
my So made this for me. I hope can see it.
http://www.photoshow.com/maker/edit/tf7iv9Ca
touchton
Lifer

Post by touchton »

That is for frisbee golf.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

touchton wrote:
So I have been told. Only "hole around". :lol:
touchton
Lifer

Post by touchton »

OU812 wrote:
touchton wrote:
So I have been told. Only "hole around". :lol:
I've seen some courses where there's one hole, but multiple tee pads. It's not really a 'course', just a parctice hole.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Frolf, how appropriate, as that is what contributed to the end of The Summer Of George. And summer for me and the BMW is coming to an end as well.

Good news for my burgeoning fan base, I've figured out Youtube! Test your stomach while riding with me on Rt. 16! Watch in jaw-dropping awe as I appear to track the flight pattern of a large and talented horsefly! Crappy video awaits, just a few clicks and scrolls backward...

Now Sunday, I am sad that this trip is coming to an end. I probably won't see OU812 in person for at least another year. Mostly I am hoping that the slabfest home will be relatively low on the aggravation scale. Unfortunately, for any readers of this post, it was, as there is no drama to speak of for the ride home. With the threat of rain looming, I decided to pass on the suggestions of the Bob's sales rep, for twisty back roads in Maryland. I was a bit tired, didn't want to push my luck on the last day of The Big Trip, and was also a little anxious to get back home to the wife and child. So the miles passed without incident... and before I know it, I'm home.

The bike is filthy and I smell awful

So the shower for me felt good. The poor BMW would be in this state for another week. To justify my choice of roads, minutes after I got home a torrential downpour appeared, accompanied by truly scary winds

And that was the trip. With the child getting older, I don't know if I will have another opportunity like this for a long time. Perhaps ever. I missed out on a few things (a nice rally in the stock market, probably some landmark moments with my daughter), but I had a great time, met some terrific new people. And connected with folks I had only met online (Wezul, OU812, Duckdave, Boxer siting).

Thanks for putting up with my clumsy first effort of an extended ride report (note to self: next time take notes). Here is the link again for all the pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/slater.f/20 ... directlink

Look for the low-res pictures and notes, they will have links to youtube over the next few days/weeks. Now off to work on the Tiger. Ride safe everyone, and enjoy the rest of the summer!
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Great write-up Johnny! I enjoyed the whole thing. I wish I could've made the MOA rally, or even met up with you for your trek through Maryland/DC back to the RA rally. I did get to the RA rally on Saturday and was going to camp but passed after the first bad storm went through. I knew more was coming so I figured I would escape between the storms and head home for the night. If I knew you were going to be there I probably would've searched you guys out and stayed the night.

Thanks again for the detailed story with good photos!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

jfslater98 wrote:
drsales1 wrote:You must have stopped at the same place I did on Rt16.
I did, as a matter of fact (thanks for reminding me of name of the road I was on. :oops: I ran through part of it and decided it looked so pretty, I needed to experiment with the RAM mount I put on my front brake reservoir. So turned around and did it again, this time with the camera on.
R4R&R wrote:Great write-up - great trip! Fun to read and you kept us right there with you!
Thanks for the kudos, John! Hope to see you again at next year's Bash.

On with the show: now it's Friday, July 24

OU812 and I decide to ride together for the Chicken Run. I seem to recall we scratched around a gravel road in the morning before the run, but it's hard for me to believe I had that kind of energy. Maybe he can confirm.

"What are you doing over there?"
Yes we rode some gravel for sure. :roll: More like asphalt covered with pea gravel. Followed a pair of GS's that turned off before our destination. At the Fairfax Stone I contributed to the beginning of the river. :lol:
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Great photos and report.

OU812, =D> on proper tire useage :badgrin:
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I am trying Bob. :badgrin:
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Well I found all the video I believe I want to post at this point. And posted it. So on this last day of Summer (?) I am bumping this thread for the last time. Initially, I had put as much effort as I did as a sort of tribute to my Rockster, surely being cast to the wind after the "upgrade" I planned. Having the 2 bikes next to each other allowed me to see how much I really love my BMW. I will be holding on to it a lot longer than I thought. This Bavarian cool-aid is strong stuff!

Anyway, to make it easier on those who have already read the report, I put "EDIT" in all caps so you can find the video links easily.

Hope everyone had a great summer! I know I did.