About to buy the Garmin Zumo

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

r12r-don
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

About to buy the Garmin Zumo

Post by r12r-don »

Well, its time for a new GPS and now that my bike will be on its way soon I want to order the GPS in advance so I'm playing with the bike and not learning the GPS.

I'm thinking about ordering it from buydig.com or pcnation.com. They have the cheapest prices.

I have two questions:
1) Has anyone used the zumo? The reviews I read are great. I've read that the TomTom is a bit quicker but the Zumo still beats it out. I've used the Nuvi's new interface and see that it is very close to the zumo so I'm please with that.

2) Anyone ever order from buydig.com or pcnation.com. I've never heard of them and am searching the web for comments, positivie or negative to confirm my decision or correct it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

not sure if anyone is interested. Called PCNATION today. They seemed helpful enough so I put the order in for the Zumo 550. I could care less about XM and traffic, but definitely want the blue tooth.

They said it should ship today so I expect to have it no later than Thursday. Just in time to play with it in the truck this weekend.
Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

my mate has a the zumo 550 - and loves it, and has also crashed test it about 100KPH.
good features
Ian

hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

I've read only good things about the Zumo, and would sell-on my TomTom Rider in an instant if I didn't have so much money tied-up in extra maps etc - it has a design fault that eventually (and repeatedly) wears out the electrical connection on the bracket.

Much praise for the Zumo on the BMW UK Owners Club board & ukGSer.com - they are definitely ahead in the motorcycle specific GPS market.
hankth
Basic User

power?

Post by hankth »

How are you going to connect the unit. Is there a BMW plug connector available?
thanks
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

Based on what I've been hearing on this message board, the R1200R has a plug tucked under the gas tank somewhere. I'm going to have the dealer pull it out for me as part of prepping the bike. Then I plan on hard wiring it myself. I also plan on running an audio cable to under the seat to my autocomm. Would love to run it along the power cable but not sure the dealer will do that and not really inclined to dismantle a brand new bike.
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

Well, its arrived and it is VERY cool.
I've tested out everything - except actually driving with it.
PCNation came through with flying colors. It arrived a day early and had everything it was supposed to have in the box. All the items were sealed properly. Although the unit itself was not in a bag. It did have the Garmin screen protection static plastic on it. I will call Garmin on Monday with the serial number just to confirm it isn't a refurb.

I am amazed that it is actually getting a GPS signal in my house. My GPS V would barely get one if you plastered it against the window.

The bluetooth connected to my Motorola Razor v1 without any issue. I can access the entire phone's contact list and make and receive calls without any problems.

Am having one problem and Garmin is closed today. When I download information to an SD card, the Zumo is not seeing the data. It sees all the data (POIs or MP3s) when downloaded directly to the unit. What further confuses me is I can access the SD card through the Zumo when it is connected via the USB cable. I've reformatted and tried putting them in an "MP3" folder on the SD card as they are on the Zumo's main memory. No luck.

Anyone else have any tips? Been googling all morning but to no avail.
Otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday and call Garmin.
fly
Basic User

Post by fly »

You may want to search the forums at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=2
I've found it a great resource for similar issues I was having with my Nuvi.
Mark

2007 R1200R (now sold)
2008 Sprint ST
2005 VRSCSE
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

The good news and the bad news.
The good news is I got a card to work. It think the card that didn't work was formatted as FAT32 and the one that works is formatted as FAT. I can't test this theory because....

Now the bad news...
The unit was working marvelously for a day. I tried it out while running errands. Turned it off to stash it when I went into a store. Came out and it wouldn't turn back on. I've tried everything I can think of, including taking out the battery to reset any sleep mode it might be in. No dice. Will be sending it back for a replacement.
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

I love Garmin prodcts, you bought correctly.. Solid stuff.
Member #1
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

PCNation is the pits :smt093
I received my SECOND unit yesterday as the first one died (as per previous post in this thread).

The second unit was DOA. I am working on getting all my money refunded and will be ordering from Amazon. They've dropped their price to $714 with free 2 day shipping.
cheelleebutt
Basic User

Post by cheelleebutt »

I transitioned from a R12GS to a R12R and kept my BMW Nav III (which is really a Garmin StreetPilot). I installed the mount for the R12R, with some minor modifications, and had the dealer hook up the power, when my 600 mile run-in is done. I don't know if the Zumo uses the same power connector as the StreetPilot but if it does, you'll be fine. I don't remember who mentioned about the connect being under the tank but they're correct. It's hidden in there.
It's Chunky Smooth...
bajones238
Basic User

Post by bajones238 »

The standard BMW GPS (Navigator II/III) connector on the R1200R is forward and slightly to the right of the fuel tank, next to the horn. With a cutter to remove one cable tie, and a set of forceps (and a bit of patience) the connector can be brought into the daylight, after which connection of the GPS is a breeze.

As I understand it, a non-BMW GPS will require some type of adapter. However, Nav II/III are stricly plug-and-play.

I used a RAM ball-mount for the NAV II. Here are a few pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 010053.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 238/55.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 238/54.jpg

You will notice on one of the photos, to the left of the fork, the white connector for the Nav II wire harness. This connects directly to the plug provided by BMW.
busithoth
Lifer

Re: Wiring

Post by busithoth »

[sorry, wrong thread]
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re:

Post by celticus »

bajones238 wrote:The standard BMW GPS (Navigator II/III) connector on the R1200R is forward and slightly to the right of the fuel tank, next to the horn. With a cutter to remove one cable tie, and a set of forceps (and a bit of patience) the connector can be brought into the daylight, after which connection of the GPS is a breeze.

As I understand it, a non-BMW GPS will require some type of adapter. However, Nav II/III are stricly plug-and-play.

I used a RAM ball-mount for the NAV II. Here are a few pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 010053.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 238/55.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/ ... 238/54.jpg

You will notice on one of the photos, to the left of the fork, the white connector for the Nav II wire harness. This connects directly to the plug provided by BMW.
I can't find your photos.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too