Done deal

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Done deal

Post by sweatmark »

Will post some pics later, now typing from BlackBerry. Traded Mrs. Sweatmark's R1150R Roadster for an almost-new F800S today.

Back in love with BMW.
Last edited by sweatmark on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Re: Done deal

Post by sweatmark »

OK...

It has been a busy summer, not enough time to ride or think deep moto thoughts, but I finally got around to fixing up Mrs. Sweatmark's 2002 Roadster for trade-in on an F800S. Took awhile to remove a bunch of electro-gizmos and then install the OE muffler and some new tires, but the old Black Beauty looked pretty good after a wash and wax. We felt sentimental (with Mrs. S crying inside) as we took a couple of final pictures last night during the going-away party. After all, this particular R1150R was the getaway vehicle for our wedding! Here she is, in all her glory:

So, today was the day -- rode the Roadster down to our favorite BMW Motorrad dealer and rode back home on the new sexy red thang (Mrs. S is crying for joy now):

Here they are...the fraternal twins:

After riding and inspecting this new bike, I've regained appreciation for BMW design and engineering. This is a really great motorcycle!

The fit and finish is excellent... our "new" F800S has 3500 loaner miles on it and has held up well with the likely "it's a rental" abuse. All of the well-integrated OE features have received the time & attention to detail that result in elegant simplicity: the onboard computer, tire pressure control, typical BMW controls (with the old style turn signal buttons we love), even the comprehensive owner's manual that I read cover to cover.

The motor is pure & purr genius. There's obvious boxer motor feel due to the 180 triple counterbalanced crank and firing order: torque is good, and the little bit lost over the conventional boxer configuration is more than made up by better buttery smoothness (well, as much as a parallel twin can muster). The motor's real world utility and high mileage performance is packaged in a narrow, strong, easily accessed unit. Dear BMW, I would trade my Rockster AND my Buell right now for an F1200S or ST or R if available!

We'll put some miles on the F800S and report back. Perhaps Mrs. Sweatmark will let me take the bike to a trackday...
Last edited by sweatmark on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sillyjax
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by sillyjax »

Whoo hoo!!! More like a newlywed than the frumpy, yet beloved, black beauty....
Jacquie
R1150r in Oregon
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

sweatmark wrote:After riding and inspecting this new bike, I've regained appreciation for BMW design and engineering. This is a really great motorcycle!
The fit and finish is excellent...
Mark, I know this all too well after doing my usual "take the new bike apart" and Farkle addition sessions. It's almost a shame the valve cover won't have to come off until the 12K mile service. Also, does this mean you'll be changing your POS icon?

I had just written much more, but decided not to hyjack this thread. I cut it then added it to one of my own running posts about "little things . . . ".

BTW, with a wife that rides and knows what a good bike is . . . . you are one lucky guy!
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
bobw
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bobw »

Congrats to you both! Very cool that you can enjoy this sport together.

Cheers and safe travels!
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Sweet! I like the F800s. I like all of the F800 bikes!

Nice looking bike, and now you have some variety when riding!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Yes, I'm a lucky guy to have a great wife who rides! I often brag about her first year of riding and 2k mile road trip piloting a fully loaded R1100R... she traversed CA36 in the pitch black of night.

Mrs. Sweatmark seems to be especially jazzed about the sporty red F800S in the garage. Glad that's the case, since I'm quite pleased with the F800's value.

Rob, I'll have to change my anti-BMW avatar to reflect the new appreciation for moto-work well done. Or mayeb just leave as is, since the R1150R truly is a maligned and malengineered {sic} motorcycle POS, while the swoopy F800 series (red wash out effect) draws attention to the new & improved?

Will post some more info as we begin accessorizing (we call it "foshizzle") and improving the F800S in the very few areas it might require.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

She is a beauty...and the bike is nice too. Best wishes for happy miles...Congrats!
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...