Removing air box?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

kallakaki
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Removing air box?

Post by kallakaki »

I am very eager to see if the bike is even more smooth than it was before.

It is very frustrating to watch the thermometer showing -10C and look at all the snow. I do live in the wrong country when it comes to riding bikes. Fortunately I enjoy telemark skiing as well so that I may cope until the snow disappears from the roads.

Seeing the person performing the dyno run I certainly can imagine a less "caring" person not beeing as thorough as this person getting the job done more quickly and not as thorough. This guy did the test four times. Once before making any changes, and once for each cylinder and once with a the summary of both cylinders. It took him more than two full hours to complete the runs. And I got the feeling that he knew what he was doing.
nixdsg
Basic User

Post by nixdsg »

Kallakaki,

You don't live int the wrong contry, you just need another hobby! Get a snow scooter for the winter! I've lived in Sweden (North of Uppsala in Soderhamn) and LOVED the snow.

Do you have picture of the installation you completed? I'm curious to see how this looks.

I would have also liked to see the "stock" power curve before any parts were changed on the same dyno you used. That is the only true way to understand the before and after results as each dyno is calibrated differently.

Nic
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

nixdsg wrote:Kallakaki,

You don't live int the wrong contry, you just need another hobby! Get a snow scooter for the winter! I've lived in Sweden (North of Uppsala in Soderhamn) and LOVED the snow.

Do you have picture of the installation you completed? I'm curious to see how this looks.

I would have also liked to see the "stock" power curve before any parts were changed on the same dyno you used. That is the only true way to understand the before and after results as each dyno is calibrated differently.

Nic
Thanks for the tip about another hobby, but having two boys (age 5 & 7) don't leave much room for an extra hobby. :?

Nice to hear you enjoyed Söderhamn, Nic. (I actually met about ten persons from Söderhamn at a party yesterday...) They still have real winters. Due to the global warming we don't get enough snow here in Uppsala to have a snowmobile.

I'll take some pics in about two weeks. Right now the bike is in the shop to get the ring antenna and perhaps some othre recalls fixed.

The shop told med that my bike was their first R1200R. So it is not possible to get a chart right now. But if anyone living in Sweden is interested I can recommend MotoSpeed.
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

Now I've been riding the bike for a couple of months and I must say that it is very smooth and this configuration suits me very well.

Now that I know that it works fine, I want to remove the air box. But it looks like I have to remove the ASC/ABS(?) control thingy that sits in front of and above the air box in order to remove it. I don't want to cut it into pieces.

Do any of you know how to remove the ASC/ABS(?) control thingy? Where can I find a manual that describes this?

Thanks!
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

kallakaki wrote:I am very eager to see if the bike is even more smooth than it was before.

It is very frustrating to watch the thermometer showing -10C and look at all the snow. I do live in the wrong country when it comes to riding bikes. Fortunately I enjoy telemark skiing as well so that I may cope until the snow disappears from the roads.

Seeing the person performing the dyno run I certainly can imagine a less "caring" person not beeing as thorough as this person getting the job done more quickly and not as thorough. This guy did the test four times. Once before making any changes, and once for each cylinder and once with a the summary of both cylinders. It took him more than two full hours to complete the runs. And I got the feeling that he knew what he was doing.
Howdy!
Glad the bike is running so well...
But, could you please let us know just what changes were made, and what the results were on the dyno? 8)
Thanks!
Brad
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

TT RDHS wrote:Howdy!
But, could you please let us know just what changes were made, and what the results were on the dyno? 8)
Thanks!
Brad
Hi Brad

As I wrote previously in this thread I have:
  • removed the manifolds between the air intake and the air box
  • added K&N clamp-on pod filters and filter wraps
  • put on Akrapivic slip on
  • installed a power commander
  • a dyno run
You can see the dyno chart in my posting dated jan 10 2009 on the previous page.
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

kallakaki wrote:
TT RDHS wrote:Howdy!
Thanks!
Brad
Hi Brad

As I wrote previously in this thread I have:
  • removed the manifolds between the air intake and the air box
  • added K&N clamp-on pod filters and filter wraps
  • put on Akrapivic slip on
  • installed a power commander
  • a dyno run
You can see the dyno chart in my posting dated jan 10 2009 on the previous page.
Thanks!
And sorry... I'm not sure how I missed all that. :oops: #-o
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

Hi all

It's been a while since I visited this forum... sorry for that... :oops:

I was asked a question about my experiences of the removed/disconnected air box. Well, first of all, I didn't find a way to remove it without cutting it in pieces. It seems that I have to take most of the bike apart in order to remove the box itself. I want to be able to restore the bike later, thus don't want to disintegrate the box.

I was asked to add a picture.

I've only had good experiences so far and the bike is running like a dream. :D

/Nils
Last edited by kallakaki on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrinceBooger
Basic User

Post by PrinceBooger »

Have to tell you Kallakaki, I understand the apprehension from others because I also know that many a backward modification has been performed by those that don't "sweat the details". You're doing that and following up with testing. Good job! I may be looking at "pod's" behind my throttle bodies as well if I see meaningful power, torque, and rideability gains. I already enjoyed having the music (and presence) among the cages of a performance exhaust cannister (not currently but I am zeroed in on that next) on my previous 02' RT. BTW, not at 6-8000 rpm running past them! I'll exercise her where the time and place is right.

The only functionality concerns are rain intrusion (normally held in check with the filter oiling) and excessive intake "honk". Maybe those filters could be attached at the end of the intake tubes where the airbox would have been? A rigid sleeve would be required to fit inside the "tube" to clamp down against if this option is taken. In appearence, this is not probably optimal, but it might be more liveable.?

I have K&N's on an 83' Suzuki GS1100E I have as well and I can live with that (and had no "live-with" issues). I know the filters are under the gas tank on this bike, not outside and exposed.
What do you think Kallakaki? Marc
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

Well, Stellan is Swedish and so am I, but there the similarities unfortunately end... ;-)
kallakaki
Basic User

Post by kallakaki »

Just a short feedback on my air box modification.
It has been five years since my modifications and I'm still totally satisfied with the result! :smt045

In the beginning of April I'll try to get the bike through the MOT with the modifications in place. The previous years I have always switched back to the original setup using the air box as intended. They might thing that the bike is too loud with the intake "noise" at higher revs. [-X But I'll give it a try. 8-[
If they'll let it pass I'll probably cut the box in pieces and remove it entirely. (I still haven't found an easy way of removing the air box without dividing the bike in two parts...)

/Nils
davduc
Basic User

Post by davduc »

subscribe to this thread
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

kallakaki wrote:Just a short feedback on my air box modification.
It has been five years since my modifications and I'm still totally satisfied with the result! :smt045

In the beginning of April I'll try to get the bike through the MOT with the modifications in place. The previous years I have always switched back to the original setup using the air box as intended. They might thing that the bike is too loud with the intake "noise" at higher revs. [-X But I'll give it a try. 8-[
If they'll let it pass I'll probably cut the box in pieces and remove it entirely. (I still haven't found an easy way of removing the air box without dividing the bike in two parts...)

/Nils
To remove the air box you will need to remove the rear subframe, haynes manual gives pretty simple instructions, it is about a 6 hour procedure in and out. Beats cutting the air box in segments.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

davduc wrote:subscribe to this thread
Text within a post won't accomplish this.

Subscribe by ticking the "notify me" box (under "Options," which is below the text entry field) when you're making a post.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jeverett486
Basic User

Post by jeverett486 »

My airbox's been missing since I bought it used. I have a PowerCommander III and straight (open) exhaust system installed. Can't comment on performance since I never drove is stock. The first owner installed K&N filters to longer tubes, so they are tucked in out of the rain more.

Picture: https://goo.gl/photos/MMvYG3PTK19xKKsJ8
Jay Everett, Långås, Sweden
2008 R1200R – RIDING FOR THE BUZZ!
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Sorry Cycle Rob and Don - I beg to differ re the adviseability of ditching the OEM airbox. In my experience, and that of member celeb0001 / vwdoctor, better known among ADVRider forum riders of dry-clutch Beemer owners as 'Esmir the Spacer Guy', installed red K&N's zip-tied onto the end of each inner tube of the double-skinned OEM air intakes of his Rockster, just to avoid the serious pain of detaching the OEM airbox during his frequent splitting of his bike in order to investigate / cure spline problems.
With no noticeable ill-effects on the bike's performance, economy or durability.

If I knew how to insert a foto from my Photobucket gallery into this post, I'd show you how neat his modification looks.
Al in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

And a note to subscriber "newportcycle" - to remove the airbox, there's no need to "remove the rear subframe".
The procedure involves hingeing the rear frame on its swivel bolts to allow lifting of the bike's tail section high in the air. There are several U-Toob videos showing in detail how this process proceeds - about a 2 hour job, after which the airbox can be detached form the bike. I like others, would n o t recommend damaging the box. The next owner might need it !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike