R1150R VS R1100S

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sugardoo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1150R VS R1100S

Post by sugardoo »

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

r1150r vs r1100s for touring

I currently have a r1150r and have it set up for touring. Corbin, touring shield, luggage, back rest and many other goodies.
In recent times I have been a bit curious to changes things up a bit and like the looks of the 1100s (this is the ONLY other bike I'd consider). My main concern is comfort. Has anyone ridden a 1150R setup for max comfort/distance and an 1100S (6speed) set up the same way with corbin, taller screen, risers?
If so: How is the wind on your face/head? Long distance comfort as good? passenger comfort as good?
I'm 5'11" and weigh 160. I occassionally ride with a half shell helmet.
If nothing else, if you can point me in the right direction if you know of someone else or another group to ask regarding this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

sugardoo
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: R1150R VS R1100S

Post by MikeCam »

I recommend Pelican Parts Forum/R1100S. More experience with the R1100S and sufficient knowledge to answer your questions about R1150R.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
maduko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 735

Post by maduko »

Unless you are very long-legged you would probably fit on one.

I'm 6' 4" and the S is too short for me. Otherwise I would have considered it.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

sugardoo wrote:* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

r1150r vs r1100s for touring

I currently have a r1150r and have it set up for touring. Corbin, touring shield, luggage, back rest and many other goodies.
In recent times I have been a bit curious to changes things up a bit and like the looks of the 1100s (this is the ONLY other bike I'd consider). My main concern is comfort. Has anyone ridden a 1150R setup for max comfort/distance and an 1100S (6speed) set up the same way with corbin, taller screen, risers?
If so: How is the wind on your face/head? Long distance comfort as good? passenger comfort as good?
I'm 5'11" and weigh 160. I occassionally ride with a half shell helmet.
If nothing else, if you can point me in the right direction if you know of someone else or another group to ask regarding this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

sugardoo

Hello!
I made the conversion you talk about in May of this year, and I'm completely satisfied with the change. At 6-2, 250 the bike has to accomodate a bigger load than you, but it does just fine. I do think that barbacks (see RapidDog on the Pelican Parts forum) would help you feel a bit more comfortable, I'm built sort of like a gorilla (short legs, long arms, :) ) so the reach is fine for me, plus I rode Ducati's for 10 years before buying an R/R in 2004, so most Beemer's feel like full on touring bikes after that. My R had a taller Cee Bailey screen, and a Sargent seat, was used mostly for short rides, but also did a few long rides of 600+ miles/day. It was comfy!

I don't mind the wind on my helmet, and in fact have come to prefer that. I tried a variety of shields on the R, and always dealt with some buffeting/noise. On my S the wind flow at speed hits on my upper chest and the helmet is in cleaner airflow and is DEFINITELY far quieter / much less wearing. I'm thinking about trying a Cee Bailey's replacement windscreen, they make them up to 4 inches taller than stock, but frankly not totally sure that a taller screen is such a good idea. I was sort of "forced" to get used to the windshield height on my purchase delivery ride home to Seattle area from Louisville, KY. I'd planned a direct route, but with the weather in the Rockies, had to detour thru Texas, Arizona, et al, to get home. Battled 40-60 mph winds for the first 4 days of that journey and concluded that a taller windscreen might have helped, but it probably would have made the bike more of a handful in severe crosswinds I encountered in 3800 miles/7days. I will probably try the taller screen and evaluate it with some long rides next summer, if I don't like it I can always sell it on eBay or Pelican sites.

I'm installing a peg lowering kit to take some pressure off of my 60 year old hip joints, I can update you on that after I have a chance to ride with them awhile. Seat to peg clearance is a bit tighter on the S, don't know if that could be an issue for you as well. For reference I have a 31 inch inseam...

Passenger comfort? Okay on the S, but not nearly as good for long distance work as the R. Might depend (as always) on the size of the pillion rider. I changed out the stock S seat for a Rick Mayer custom (rode down to his shop for a personal fitting), but since I ride solo most of the time just had him redo the front portion. Most S bikes came with a cowling to cover the rear seat, customizing that portion would probably eliminate the cowl option. I've owned Corbin and Sargent seats on other bikes, but the Rick Mayer seat is better, especially with the custom fitting. I do like the optional Corbin product for the S, with a pillion backrest, but my wife has just about given up riding, so that wasn't a consideration in the seat upgrade.

I did a lot of research before finding my Grey/Mandarin '04 S, and would say that in general terms an '04 or '05 S is probably the best choice. Towards the end of the production run, and some improvements along the way were incorporated mostly in the '04 bikes according to what I read. You didn't really talk about the kind of riding you like, but if it's primarily long distance stuff two-up, I do think the R is probably better for that. I tend to do more short rides and particularly like what my grandson calls the curvy-curvy roads, with an occasional long distance jaunt. So I do prefer the improved handling and adaptability of the S over the R.

Just my two cents...or is that 5 cents? Please feel free to ask more questions or send me a PM if you'd like to know more.

Cheers!
Bill J
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Sort of odd isn't it, when people ask questions...then don't appear to ever return? Strange...very strange! :?

BJ
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

I've always had a soft spot for the R1100S. Interesting reading.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Since I can only afford to own one bike the S for me represents the best compromise of a sporty ride that's capable of long trips in good comfort. On the post purchase ride home going through the Nevada Desert I tested the ABS brakes from 120-125 or so, not the normal sort of speed that ABS is most valuable, but I was really impressed with their ability to scrub off speed while still being able to steer the machine while in full on "panic" type stop. I rode a Ducati 900 for 10 years and loved the brakes on that machine, but don't think in "real world" street riding that the ABS Beemer gives up anything regarding brake performance.

Now...if it would just warm up so I could go for a ride today, 28F is just too damn cold! :(

Bill J
Max Continuous
Basic User

Post by Max Continuous »

Sugardoo

I made the change from an R1150R to the R1100S last year. I found a beautiful BoxerCup Replica with only 5000 miles on it and while I am still in love with the bike and do not regret its' purchase, I do miss my R1150R greatly.

Like anything else, there are pros and cons to the switch. I find the 1100S is much better on the highway due to rider stance and airflow. ( I am 5'11" and 190 lbs ) I can ride the R1100S for much longer distances and at higher speeds without feeling fatigued. To be fair however, my R1150R only had a fly screen. The fuel tank on the 1100 is a little smaller than the 1150R but this does not hinder my touring. Due to the under seat exhaust of the 1100S, I have two full size system cases which allows me to carry a little more than the 1150R with the muffler cutout. If you are planning on two up riding with the 1100S, then you would be best to get a Corbin Canyon seat with a backrest. My wife does not like riding on the back of the 1100S. Some owners have complained of the stock seat forcing them forward onto the tank, I have not experienced this.

Some forums talk of the 1100S being a vibration monster but I did not find it was any different from the 1150R provided it is properly tuned. If you do decide to get one however, I would recommend that you go with the 2 spark model, post 2003 I think and go with a non ABS model or one without the early servo assisted ABS which cannot be turned off.

I have the earlier ABS unit and while I have not had any issue with it yet, I have read of many issues and some people will do an ABSectomy to remove it all together. So far, I have not been able to lock it up and it has performed very well on wet roads.
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

Paul R- nice pics on your web page and like the track day video, so when will you add some Boxer Replica pics, like to see it in action?
Erik
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
sugardoo
Basic User

Post by sugardoo »

Thanks for the replies. A lot of good information and much to consider but I think the R still might be my best option.