Fill plug stipped on final drive

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

hotzuk
Donating Member #: 0

Fill plug stipped on final drive

Post by hotzuk »

Hey gang,

Getting ready to do my fall maintenance on my bike. Placed the T-40 in the final drain fill plug and it just spun. The fill plug is definitely stripped. Can anyone suggest the best way to get it off. I was going to use the old dremel and cut two slots within the top of the plug and use use a P4 screwdriver to try to get it off. I realize that there may be other ways but the last thing I want to avoid is any sort of shaving going within the final drive. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Fill plug stipped on final drive

Post by towerworker »

I see no reason you couldn't use your dremel and make the cuts you speak of. Just be certain to brush away any and all metal dust and debris prior to loosening the fill plug. As long as the plug is in place there is no way I can see that any debris would get into the FD.

I assume you plan to replace the filler plug with new. You could also try a very careful application of vise grips on the outer edge of the plug.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Rodney, The T-40 bit prolly spun because it's a 6 mm Allen head. Try lining up the hex flats then hammering in a 3/8ths drive 6mm Allen socket to recreate the internal Allenhead. It looks like there's enough exposed head to get a pair of "Vise Grip" brand locking pliers clamped on it REALLY TIGHT so you can break it loose.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
macx
Basic User

Post by macx »

If the hex socket in the plug head is too trashed to get a good grip by tapping in the
right size allen wrench (hex wrench), you could use what's called a screw extractor -
like a common easy out, only the gripper portion is short, like 1/2" or less, with big
reverse threads. It turns "in" by turning it counter clockwise, like you would when
removing the plug. They come in different sizes in a set, and you need to select the
biggest size that you can tap into the socket. virtually foolproof. You may be able to
rent a set. They aren't cheap to buy.
kantuckid
Basic User

Post by kantuckid »

Consider using different types/brands of extractors-One is the tapered twist-kinda like an old style wood screw in reverse.For aluminum I like the one that uses a drilled hole and you drive in a splined steel rod that has a hex on the other end. Look around before you try one solution and decide the best progression of events. It won't be that bad a deal to get drillings in there and just flush it out.Cyclerob has the best, least invasive approach. You can also use left hand twist bits but they don't seem ideal to me for this case of a larger thread.I use hardened , pointed steel "needles" that are about 8-9" long/3/16" dia., to drive out that type problem. The source is a "venting needle" used in recapping earthmover tires to make air holes in the tread layers. Simple , but they are like magic for removing problem bolts and screws.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Call me a harsh git if you want, but if hotzuk can't tell the difference between an allen headed bolt and a Torx headed bolt, maybe we shouldn't be encouraging him to risk further damage to his machine??

Hotzuk - if you're AT ALL unsure about this - get thee to a local garage/trustworthy workshop mechanic and let them sort it out for 20 bucks.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Order a new one and get the old one out even if it puts up a fight with the correct allen wrench. One way or another it will come. I have cut wedges in the same type so as I could use a large screwdriver(flat) I am sure you can do it. ;)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
ronnierockster
Basic User

Post by ronnierockster »

If all else fails. Get a centre punch make a dimple in top outside edge. Put the punch at an angle so the force imparted drives the plug in a counterclockwise direction. Using a big heavy hammer on the punch, that will drive in and round, the plug will loosen. Undo plug, buy a new one to replace. Bingo done.. :biggrin: :biggrin:
See Ya...RR
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

You probably installed it last time with oil on the threads and it is severely over torqued. This happened to me, and when Rob and I went to refill it a few weeks ago, it was tough to remove!

I thought Rob was going to slap the stupidity out of me right there in his garage. If you have a Hex key socket to drive in with a hammer, that is the best bet. Then by putting the drive on it, it has to turn. I suppose you could hammer hard enough to crack the FD housing...but don't do that.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

ronnierockster wrote:If all else fails. Get a centre punch make a dimple in top outside edge. Put the punch at an angle so the force imparted drives the plug in a counterclockwise direction. Using a big heavy hammer on the punch, that will drive in and round, the plug will loosen. Undo plug, buy a new one to replace. Bingo done.. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Another very good one!
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Byrdguy
Basic User

Post by Byrdguy »

A good pair of small ViseGrips will do the trick.
The Velvet Monkey
Basic User

Post by The Velvet Monkey »

If all else fails. Get a cheap Allen tool and JB Weld into the stripped hole. Let it dry and use a pair of pliers to twist out.

Good luck.
2004 50R a.k.a. "Hiedi"

No!!! Bad monkey!!
hotzuk

Post by hotzuk »

Hey gang,

I just wanted to let you know I was able to get it out. Took a little blast from the heat gun and a pair of needle nose vise grips. New plug on order from Chicago BMW. Thanks again everyone for the advice.