SS Brake line

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

orojk
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

SS Brake line

Post by orojk »

My bike has rubber brake and clutch hoses. I noticed on some R1150Rs stainless steel braided lines. Are they aftermarket or standard for the later models (mine is '03) ?

Thanks,
KLR-650
R1150R
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: SS Brake line

Post by Boxer »

What you are seeing could be aftermarket lines, but chances are they are the later SS lines installed as a stock item. I can't remember when they did that though. It was about '05 or '06. Not sure.
frbank6
Basic User

Post by frbank6 »

I believe the SS lines began with the twin spark models than came out midyear in 2003. My early 2003 is single spark and has rubber lines.
2003 R1150R ABS Dakar Yellow/Ferro
Veritas vos Liberabit
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

My 04 has the SS lines, I believe it was born 02-04.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
chitownrbike
Basic User

Post by chitownrbike »

I put an aftermarket s/s line on the front of my 02 and do not regret it for one stopping second....
D.B.
Basic User

Post by D.B. »

My r1150r was built in July of 03, and sold as an '04 model...It has the stainless brake lines..& may possibly be an early version of it's kind sold in the US...

D.B.
ALFREDO
Basic User

Post by ALFREDO »

Has anyone changed at home the brake lines for stainless steal ones?

VenVsss
Alfredo Mulet
R1150R - 2004
R1100R - 1998
Kawa Zepyr 1100 - 1994
Trout
Basic User

Post by Trout »

ALFREDO wrote:Has anyone changed at home the brake lines for stainless steal ones?

VenVsss
Yes. Many times.

Like most everything else, it's just nuts and bolts (banjo bolts :D ). The hard messy part is bleeding the system. Do some internet research on motorcycle brake bleeding before you start. If your bike has ABS, do some extra research. If your bike has ABS with servo's, then pray for mercy.
ALFREDO
Basic User

Post by ALFREDO »

Trout wrote:
ALFREDO wrote:Has anyone changed at home the brake lines for stainless steal ones?

VenVsss
Yes. Many times.

Like most everything else, it's just nuts and bolts (banjo bolts :D ). The hard messy part is bleeding the system. Do some internet research on motorcycle brake bleeding before you start. If your bike has ABS, do some extra research. If your bike has ABS with servo's, then pray for mercy.
Well, that's my case #-o #-o :) :) Things to keep in mind / recommendations?
Alfredo Mulet
R1150R - 2004
R1100R - 1998
Kawa Zepyr 1100 - 1994
Trout
Basic User

Post by Trout »

ALFREDO wrote:Things to keep in mind / recommendations?
Well, if it were mine, I'd leave it alone and be happy. The "Integeral ABS" or "EVO" system on the BMW's has come and gone. None of the newer bikes have servo's. Not to make you feel bad, but the integrated servo system is not missed by very many people. The procedures for flushing a servo system are well documented, but I haven't seen anything written up on filling an empty system after swapping all the lines.

I do know that you cannot push or pull fluid through the system without the aid of the servos. The power has to be on and the lever pulled to get fluid to move.

Not that the warranty is an issue anymore on the older bikes, but here's what Pirates Lair says about the stainless lines for the servo bikes. I suspect that in addition to warranty, they've had to deal with a few folks that had serious problems getting the system bled:

"Warning to 2002+ K1200RS/GT Owners: Pirates Lair does not advise installing ANY steel braided lines on the Evo equipped bikes. Not because they won't help, but because we have heard that ANY modification to the Evo linked brake systems will void the factory warranty. Be forewarned!"
ALFREDO
Basic User

Post by ALFREDO »

Thanks Trout, I'm convinced, I'll leave it as it is.

Cheers,
VenVssss