andystrapz expedition panniers

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

indigoid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

andystrapz expedition panniers

Post by indigoid »

http://www.andystrapz.com/products.php?PCID=51

Anyone here fitted these to an R1200R? if so, was exhaust clearance an issue?

Made/sold in Australia, which is nice right now because our currency is... not the most valuable around, shall we say. These soft bags have a great reputation and despite currency issues are still far, far cheaper than the BMW hard bags.
'07 Dakar motard, '08 R1200R destroyed, and a gaggle of old Toyotas
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Re: andystrapz expedition panniers

Post by Dan-A »

I emailed those guys once to see if they were available in USA, and never got a response. Wolfman has a similar product available stateside, and waterproof without liners.

I think a frame to back them is a good idea.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expeditio ... eBags.html
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

I already looked at the Wolfman stuff. It does look very good... if you have US dollars, which I don't.

I'll order the Andystrapz bags anyway. If it doesn't work out on the R1200R I can always use them on my Dakar (which has MSP racks and Bavaria aluminium cases), or the SO can use them on her CB400F. Will look around for some frames. Maybe cut-down and modified Givi racks would do the trick. Not handy with a welder myself but I have friends who are...

edit: Givi PLX racks (PLX688) look like the right way to go, and would allow adding Givi hard bags later too. Hope I can get my hands on some of those at a reasonable price
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

Either way looks like a good set up.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

I've had great luck dealing with Andy in Australia, direct from here in the US. There used to be a US distributer, but when I got my stuff, it was defunct. Be careful to use his Aus. address, http://www.andystrapz.com. There were still some of the defunct websites around when I was shopping. When I used Paid for my stuff with paypal, no problems even with the currency change. I'm very pleased with the tank bag and rear luggage I got, now after 2 years use. Note, I have no experience with the panniers. But I do know I'd look for an opportunity to do business with Andystrapz agin.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

Yes. I ordered my stuff this morning.

- Givi PLX racks + hardware kit from TwistedThrottle
- AndyStrapz Expedition Panniers + pannier inner bags (one red, one blue, ie. "his and hers")
- AndyStrapz A-Bagz - ordered two; one for use on my bikes, and one for my SO's shiny new Honda CB400 Super Four as a "new bike gift"
- AndyStrapz Inner-Pakz - just one, as an experiment to see how well they work. Certainly looks interesting

The SO and I are planning a ~3000km ride in December/January, will report then on how well it all works on a decent trip.
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

I should add that if you are in the USA it is now a very good time, in terms of currency exchange, to invest in AndyStrapz gear. His Flat Strapz are utterly fantastic, if you buy them you'll never use that bungees ever again
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

+1.

I never miss an opportunity to plug how good Andy Strapz gear is. We have a great agent in the UK - the stuff comes very quickly with no problems & the quality is very high. I have the Boot Bagz, Hot Loopz, Loopz, and the stretchy straps in three different sizes - I then made a point of hunting down every conventional bungee on the premises and binned them all at the same time.
indigoid
Basic User

Post by indigoid »

Job done.

Used Givi PLX688 racks (without the ridiculous topcase garbage that nobody with half a brain cell would ever use, ie. order PLX688KIT as well) to secure them to the bike:

The total width of the panniers is about the same or less than the bars or engine, so no worries in traffic. Certainly nowhere near as wide as the ridiculous (and awful quality) BMW plastic panniers: