finally got a center stand...

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

darth_rockster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by darth_rockster »

riceburner wrote:Poor obs the lot of you!!!
Has no-one noticed that the larger (and thus heavier) of the two lights is on the left????
Regarding looks this is one of my favorite things about the bike!

I had not considered that in this situation though!
2004 BMW R1150R Rockster - Edition 80 - #110
RUSOR80!
darth_rockster
Basic User

Post by darth_rockster »

duke wrote:Just a thought ...
One reason why Rocksters mostly sit on the rear tyre and are not affected by the full/empty tank syndrome:

Probably due to the fact that they carry wider rear rim and wider rear tyre ... that theoretically should be heavier enough to tip the bike backwards.
Another good idea. BTW When i changed all my oils this weekend for fun i checked the level 'bottom of the filler plug' with the bike on the front when and on the rear wheel... didn't notice much of a difference.
RUSOR80!
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

You are a genius riceburner! From the moment I fitted the a centrestand to my rockster (yes, those springs were a huge pain) it always bugged me how the bars swung to the left. You just helped me regain some balance.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
darth_rockster
Basic User

Post by darth_rockster »

Took the can off the other day. (It was my first time taking the rear wheel off and I didn't want ot scratch anything).

damn that thing is heavier than it looks.
Guess which wheel it sits on now!
RUSOR80!
Ves
Basic User

Re: finally got a center stand...

Post by Ves »

darth_rockster wrote:...

when unlocked and on the center stand the front end always seems to go to full left lock. Even If I turn it all the way right it likes to go left by itself. I have a stock front end, no risers or anything like that.
DR
I was working on my bike the other day and I think I know what causes this. It's the stainless steel brake line. When you turn the wheel to the right you are bending the line. It straightens its self out by pushing the forks back to the left... that's my theory and I'm sticking with it...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
riceburner
Basic User

Re:

Post by riceburner »

adg44 wrote:All the bikes didn't come with a center stand? :?:

I don't like that the leg sits between the foot peg and the shifter lever...

I was almost considering taking mine off.
It was an optional extra in the UK.

Aye - if you're not careful you can hook it into first when you're putting the stand down whilst sat on the bike.

But if you're careful it's not an issue. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Unklian
Basic User

Post by Unklian »

Hi there.

When I bought my Rockster, I took it to Rainbows BMW dealership in Rotherham, England, UK
This is one of the best dealerships in the UK as voted for by the bike riding public and also, bike magazines.
The owner, Shaun, came out for a look at it. I asked his opinion.
He put it in the centre-stand, straightened the bars and let go.
The steering turned to the left.

"That's fine, They all do that" he said.

Good enough for Shuan of Rainbows, good enough for me!

Ian.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Fitted the centerstand to my Edition 80; a spring puller was mission critical. Otherwise the installation was a snap.

I agree with Ves: the "turn left" thing is caused by the short brake line segment that connects front brake master cylinder to the RHS front subframe.

If the front brake lines were reconfigured to eliminate the handlebar-frame interaction, then the front wheel would stay in neutral position with the bike on centerstand. I'm still trying to think through the brake line options for my ABS-ectomy, and confess to spending more than a few minutes staring at the front of bike, repeatedly pulling handlebar right and watching it return to the left. Mesmerizing.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Fitted the centerstand to my Edition 80; a spring puller was mission critical. Otherwise the installation was a snap.

I agree with Ves: the "turn left" thing is caused by the short brake line segment that connects front brake master cylinder to the RHS front subframe.

If the front brake lines were reconfigured to eliminate the handlebar-frame interaction, then the front wheel would stay in neutral position with the bike on centerstand. I'm still trying to think through the brake line options for my ABS-ectomy, and confess to spending more than a few minutes staring at the front of bike, repeatedly pulling handlebar right and watching it return to the left. Mesmerizing.
I will let you know on Monday. ;)

(I'm replacing my 4 hose system with straight 2-hose system this weekend (assuming I get all the parts in time)).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

I will let you know on Monday. I'm replacing my 4 hose system with straight 2-hose system this weekend...
Burner,

Figured you might chime in here! Let me know how you end up routing the lines down around or through the Telelever A-arm. I'm going to use the original front brake line configuration to start, just to see if it can be done with ABS-ectomy. Aftermarket brake line options will follow.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
I will let you know on Monday. I'm replacing my 4 hose system with straight 2-hose system this weekend...
Burner,

Figured you might chime in here! Let me know how you end up routing the lines down around or through the Telelever A-arm. I'm going to use the original front brake line configuration to start, just to see if it can be done with ABS-ectomy. Aftermarket brake line options will follow.
WIlldo - will try to photograph the whole job if I can do so without slowing it down too much. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kneedown
Basic User

Post by kneedown »

OK here you go,,,one more time,The forks always "flop" to the left because that's where you are going to lock the fork.The bike will teeter on the center stand because when you remove the rear wheel it will sit on the front wheel and remain stable;and when you remove the front wheel it will sit firmly on the rear wheel.
Thats it no big mystery,at least that what I was told back in '75 when I got my r75/5..loved that bike....Of course in 45+ yesrs of riding BMW is the only bike that has left me stranded on the side of the road.
cone
Basic User

Post by cone »

Like "kneedown" I have also been riding BMW's for many years, I started off with a R60/2, two eaely G's ,r100RS and I still have a 90S and R50. All these bikes were a pain to put on the centre stand and I could never understand why it was relatively easy to park a Jap bike and not a beemer. They have found the answer with the Rockster though.
don't think about the meaning of life, think about the next ride