Ride from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ganesan8770
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Ride from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

Post by ganesan8770 »

Last Saturday (March 1st), my fellow biker friends & I went for a ride to squeaky clean but regimented Singapore.
Singapore is made up of not just one island but a main island with 63 surrounding islets. The main island has a total land area of 682 square km. Not really big but it is a thriving centre of commerce & industry and has the busiest port in the world!.
Its geographical location is 136.8 km north of the equator & it is linked to Malaysia by two causeway bridges.

We had Noel on his trusty & thumping Harley Dyna Glide, Ganesan( Thats Me ) on his ever reliable boxer engined BMW R1150R, Sam on his super fast Suzuki GSXR 1100, Paul on his sleek Honda CBR 900, John on his bullet Suzuki SRAD 750 & yours truly on the ST1100.

We left Kuala Lumpur @ sharp 6 a.m. on a windy dark morning heading south down the Malay peninsular using the North-South expressway. A slight drizzle met us as we approached Nilai. I was in my full cordura suit that kept me dry & warm but the cool looking lads on their leathers got the brunt of the rain as it got heavier. Practicalities can be set aside, looking cool was more important.

We rode about 150 kms (93 miles) & stopped at Air Keroh (Malacca) for refuelling and a bit of a breather. We met a Singaporean couple in a Kawasaki Concours. This bike is a 6 speed, 4 cylinder, liquid cooled bike. They were touring the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia & were on their way back to Singapore. We spoke motorcycles for a bit and continued on our journey stopping at Pagoh R&R for breakfast. We had hot cups of Nescafe & 'mee-hoon' (local fried noodles). The weather was not letting up and it continued to drizzle. The rain then got pretty heavy (tropical downpour) but we kept on the road regardless. We then headed for the second causeway and headed for Tanjung Kupang. We refuelled just before the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex (Malaysian side). Fuel is a lot more expensive in Singapore with the exchange rate. We had at this juncture done about 340km's (about 211 miles) & it had taken a little more than 4 hours. The wet roads caused the delay.

The Malaysian Immigration was a breeze and we then crossed the twin deck bridge over the Johor Straits. The total length of this bridge is a little more than 1.9 km (1.1 miles). On arrival at the Singapore immigration complex in Tuas it became a little 'difficult'. This is expected when you cross borders anywhere in the world. Ask me, I was hassled in LA International Airport on my way to Vancouver BC. This was before 911. On hindsight, I was coming in from Bogota transiting in LA. I must have the drug mule face!!!
The Singapore Police randomly picked me and a few others in my group and took our fingerprints (biometrics). Security Profiling.
The process took a little less than an hour and we were on the road into Singapore. There were speed cameras everywhere & everything seemed to work. The roads were clean, people kept to their speed limits unlike Malaysia & we were prewarned not to ride in convoy. We on the other hand actually rode in convoy.

We proceeded via the Pan Island Expressway & headed for Serangoon Road. We had a sumptuous banana leaf lunch comprising of Beryani Rice, Chicken, Fried Fish, Mutton Curry, several different vegetables & condiments.

We all ate too much and then headed for Desker Road where we visited Chong Aik International Pte Ltd (http://www.chongaik.com.sg) to buy stuff for our motorcycling needs. I bought a NOLAN N102-C N-COM helmet for Singapore 300 dollars (about US$215) & a pair of AVON AV55 (Front) & AV56 (Rear) STORM-ST tires for Singapore 337 dollars (about US$241) for the pair. They charged me a further US$35 as fitting charges.

We then rode a bit around Singapore and headed back for Tuas. We were greeted at the Singapore Immigration by a sea of motorcycles and cars heading for Malaysia. It took us 2.5 hours to clear the jam. This was the low-point on this trip. We were told that the reason for the stringent checks & delay at the causeway was because of the escape last Wednesday of Mas Selamat bin Kastari, alleged leader of the Singapore wing of the militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiyah. The Indonesian-born Mas Selamat was accused by the government of having been involved in plans seven years ago to attack the US embassy, the American Club and Singapore government buildings in retaliation for the city-state's arrest and detention of fellow JI members.

We had a smooth entry into Malaysia and the Customs officers were not keen on motorcyclists that night and so we headed straight for the nearest Petrol Service station where we filled-up and had some isotonic drinks. We left at 10 p.m. stopping along the way for supper in Malacca before reaching Kuala Lumpur and home at 2 a.m. It was a good trip and we covered about 760 kms (471 miles). The body aches were presented to us the following day. ( Written by David Netto, ST 1100)
We only live once, lets live it well.......
ganesan8770
Lifer

Re: Ride from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

Post by ganesan8770 »

Can someone share with me how I can load up some photos?

Thanks.
CorvuS
Basic User

Post by CorvuS »

Use http://photobucket.com/

And link them to the forum.
Good luck!
ganesan8770
Lifer

Post by ganesan8770 »

ROBOX
Basic User

Post by ROBOX »

Great photos and well done for uploading pics !! Its amazing how we all jump on our bikes all over the world with our friends for a days ride out - biking really brings people together. We should encourage more people to post a couple of pics of the interesting rides, maybe we should have a specific area on this forum for this. What do you think ?

Rich
UK - Hampshire
Suzuki 600 Bandit - 00-04
Yamaha V-MAX 1200 04-08
Rockster 08 -
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Wow! That's what I call a traffic jam... :shock:

Hey, what's that pile of food you guys are eating? Some kind of rice dish?
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

A little help:
(If you "quote" this response, and look for the Image tags, you'll see how it works.)
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
ganesan8770
Lifer

Post by ganesan8770 »

The food we are having is called Chicken Briyani, its a special Indian
rice dish, the rice is longer than the normal, its marinated with many herbs
and the chicken in this case is cooked with the rice, we add some curry or Kurma to it as we eat it.......its really Yummy!!!!
As for the weight watchers, do take it easy.
I'm the one in the grey round neck tshirt. Cheers!
Ps: We are having our general elections here in Malaysia today.
ganesan8770
Lifer

Post by ganesan8770 »

Got it NoRRmad, thanks very much.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Nice pics....and yummi food.....I might be around your neck of the woods, that is in Singapore on assignment, however if it doesn't happen this year I'm done with overseas work.....interesting work and different culture but I'm getting too old.... [-o<
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
ganesan8770
Lifer

Post by ganesan8770 »

Hey Boxermania, Age is an attitude, I always say.
Never too old for anything......
Do give me a buzz when you are in the neighbourhood,
especially in Malaysia, Love to buy you some Briyani and beers.... +60122328770 ( My Mobile) [email protected]
I was just thinking, the nickname boxer mania would suit me too as the other love of my life is Razor, he he:

[img][IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh32 ... 005003.jpg[/img][/img]
ganesan8770
Lifer

Post by ganesan8770 »

Sorry! here she is..... she is now 6yrs old.

cone
Basic User

Post by cone »

Hey I know chicken briyani well. There are a lot of people in Natal that are of Indian descent and their food is scrumptuous. Only problem it is rather hot and spicy and I have to ask for mild portions when ordering. Sounds like you had a good ride.
don't think about the meaning of life, think about the next ride