I HATE the R12GS

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

dwayne
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

I HATE the R12GS

Post by dwayne »

I hate the fact that my desire, and determination to own a K12R, is slowly being swayed by pretty red R12GS at my local dealership. Damn you BMW.... Damn you!!!!!
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
Bruce_Almighty
Basic User

Post by Bruce_Almighty »

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

Buy another lotto ticket...

Repeat...
Bruce

BMW MOA #130127
2006 K1200LT
2005 R1150R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

they're too light on the front end - not as planted as any of the 1150 range (imho).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

dwayne.....I feel your pain.....let me just add......

When you win the lottery buy one of each, in your favorite color...... :shock: :shock:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
riceburner
Basic User

Re: I HATE the R12GS

Post by riceburner »

dwayne wrote:I hate the fact that my desire, and determination to own a K12R, is slowly being swayed by pretty red R12GS at my local dealership. Damn you BMW.... Damn you!!!!!

alternative suggestion.....

get your wife interested in the K-R and let her "persuade" you to get one for her, then get the GS for yourself.

;)

(worked for me ;) ).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
jarobi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 644

Post by jarobi »

I started out looking for a GS and my R dropped out of the sky with a price tag I couldn't pass on. After owning it for a few months, I'm not looking for a GS any more.
jbim
Basic User

Re: I HATE the R12GS

Post by jbim »

dwayne wrote:I hate the fact that my desire, and determination to own a K12R, is slowly being swayed by pretty red R12GS at my local dealership. Damn you BMW.... Damn you!!!!!
Not to yank your chain but I own a 2006 R1200GS and I can attest that it is a great bike. I am looking at buying a 2007 R1200R because the R is great fun to ride. However, if I must or can have only one bike, it is the GS for me.

Breathe in...breathe out...
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

We have Three bikes at our house, a '72 Honda CT 90....
an 05 1200 GS and my 04 R. The R and GS have roughly the same miles on them around 35k.
The GS has more 'Issues' than the R. It's in the shop more. It has little picky things like wires grounding out, can-bus issues, clutch inconsistancy, etc etc. I have nicknamed it the 'Yellow Titanic' (not to be confused withour dog whom we have dubbed the 'Yellow Tornado").

The mighty R is so reliable, so dependable and has no 'issues'.
JB
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
markg
Basic User

-12 issues

Post by markg »

Anyone familiar with the rear drive issues mentioned in the Iron Butt report this year noting several failures? The r1150r has been such a rock I would be very hesitant to swap it for anything to be used as a do-everything bike with lite touring capability.

To actually address the topic, I have a seldom used Pirate backrest that slides right into the bag rack, and works great. Only gets used by my older daughter though. See reason below.

Speaking of tornadoes, I have a "Taylor the tornado"...highest energy kid I've seen anywhere. Serves me right for having a two year old at 51.....
telliott
Basic User

Post by telliott »

jarobi wrote:I started out looking for a GS and my R dropped out of the sky with a price tag I couldn't pass on. After owning it for a few months, I'm not looking for a GS any more.
Exactly what happened to me. Looking for a GS and I found my '03 R for at least $3K less than any GS I could find. The GS's are just over priced in comparison to the R's and I'm a GS guy. I've had an R80 G/S for almost 20yrs. and still spend lots of time on a dirt bike and a KLX dual sport.

Buy some Olins shocks, get a skid plate and different tires and you'll be able to do anything most "mortals" can do on the GS. That's my plan. Save your money for the trip to Alaska!
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R