External Hard Drives

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

External Hard Drives

Post by GypsyRR »

Currently own a Lacie 250 GB (USB/Firewire). I'm about out of space and need to purchase more GB.

Anyone have any experience with this one? The price looks good and the user ratings look good, but????
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... e=51326471
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Post by mcooperstein »

WD drives are ok, I use them a lot, as well as Maxtor and Seagate. However, that particular one is a bit pricey imho. Check out these:

TigerDirect external hard drives

Mark
GTR350cc
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by GTR350cc »

do not buy western digital for a Mac. Period. Their software is incompatible with Mac operating software. Updates to Apple software wreak havoc.

Best Mac workable external drives are La Cie .

http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance ... /?id=10007

http://www.macconnection.com/Search?Cat ... &DefSort=N
Last edited by GTR350cc on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't mind paying for mistakes. Can I get a discount?
mcooperstein

Post by mcooperstein »

Thats...interesting. I'm not a Mac user, but am astonished that the device driver for external USB, IEEE1394 or SATA drives aren't imbedded in the OS like Windows, or even Linux.
Last edited by mcooperstein on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

I have a LaCie for my iMac & they work flawlessly together.
maduko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 735

Too Expensive

Post by maduko »

I roll my own. For less than $100 you can have one up and running. Takes about 10 minutes to stick a drive into the Comp USA enclosure.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... ode=312100

If you have a nice enclosure just put another drive in it.

When it's about time to get another/larger drive I start watching their sales. Usually they put something on sale/rebate at least once a month. The last one I bought was a WD 200 gig for $40 after rebates, etc.

PS- also have a couple of Byte CC enclosures that have fans and accept CD/DVD drives.
mcooperstein

Post by mcooperstein »

Maduko. Thats a good suggestion too. The advantage of buying a seperate case then hard drive is (as you pointed out) that you can update the drive when you need to. I personally have a drive case that can accept either an IDE or SATA drive, and the output can be either USB, Firewire OR SATA, so it's a *very* convenient drive case. Gypsy, if you go this route, make sure you get a good quality case, one that has a fan and is made of metal. The one's made of plastic are flimsy and don't do adequate drive cooling.

Mark

ps - Gypsy, you must have put the hoodoo on me with this thread. I went downstairs to my Vista based computer, (I hate Vista, but that's another topic of discussion) to find my hard drive literally smoking! It's fried!!! Good thing I did a backup yesterday!!!
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

What's hoodoo? :lol:

Shopping online tonight. I've been satisfied with the LaCie already. What GTR350cc causes me concern that another might not work as well with my Macs as the LaCie. Every Mac owner I know personally, uses the LaCie - so I guess there is something to it. I'll keep researching though, and get one delivered asap. Both lG4 and G5 are choking on photos and the LaCie has little room left. Life use to be much easier/cheaper when I had no hobbies. :cry:
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

do not buy western digital for a Mac. Period. Their software is incompatible with Mac operating software. Updates to Apple software wreak havoc.
I profess to be pretty much a non-geek but I have a question about this. I have a WD external harddrive we owned pre-Mac, for storage of pictures mostly. I have had no issues whatsoever with it working with the iMac.

It would seem to me, saying they were incompatible is not exactly correct. I have no doubt others may be better, but I see no reason to scrap the one I already have.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
toner87

Post by toner87 »

I installed a 500GB WD MyBook on a friend's new iMac and it works flawlessly.
T.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

toner87 wrote:I installed a 500GB WD MyBook on a friend's new iMac and it works flawlessly.
T.
wncbmw wrote:It would seem to me, saying they were incompatible is not exactly correct. I have no doubt others may be better, but I see no reason to scrap the one I already have.
GypsyRR wrote:Life use to be much easier/cheaper when I had no hobbies. :cry:

edit: Life use to be much easier/cheaper when I had no hobbies and there were not so many choices.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
GTR350cc
Basic User

Post by GTR350cc »

To be more clear...

Firewire implementation on the WD My Book series is not compatible with Mac OS X and the system firmware.

Western Digital My Book FAQ's

"Problem:
The WD My Book hard drive will not function when connected by FireWire (1394a and 1394b) to PPC based Apple computer.

Cause:
This is caused because the Apple ROM code and Open Boot architecture check for the first SCSI LUN. The WD My Book architectural design uses the first SCSI LUN as the "communication" port to talk with the firmware of the drive.

Resolution:
There is currently no resolution to this issue."
I don't mind paying for mistakes. Can I get a discount?
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Vann,

Everybody ignored your question/comment (except me- your loyal friend).

If you are using the USB port on an Intel/Mac implementation of the Mac OS and the Western Digital is formated w/ GUID it is not a concern. (Until you ask WD for any help with any problem. They will then tell you to BUY a newer drive.)

The problem referred to above is for FW ports on PPC Macs running 10.4 or earlier and using version a or b of the 1394 standard. WD does not comply with the industry's hardware/firmware/software interface standards and will not attempt to. WD will not replace or refund for this problem. Basically, WD devices are USB devices that might work with some FW applications. (All this for Apple Mac PPC digestion. WIntel and Intel/Mac folks need not concern themselves.)
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I didn't ignore him. I just didn't know what to say. I'm still confused about who this guy MAC is and why he likes apples so much.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!

Post by GypsyRR »

GTR350cc wrote:To be more clear...

Firewire implementation on the WD My Book series is not compatible with Mac OS X and the system firmware.
I started seeing that same info as I shopped/researched further last night after the different answers I was getting. To be fair, I had not mentioned that firewire was a pre-requisite in my selection.

I don't want to use USB, so when I started looking at firewire choices, and other specs, and comparing prices, I was led back to the LaCie.

I ended up ordering a LaCie 500GB d2 Quadra eSATA, FireWire 400 800, USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - for $190. It seemed like the best deal from the short list of places I checked.

Thanks.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Mike - I appreciate your loyalty, believe me.

And I see the issue now. Of course, I have a USB connection on a newer Mac, simply because that is what I had the cables for! :P

That is different than not incompatible but now that GTR350cc has clarified what he was saying, it appears his recommendation would be good, if you are ordering a new one.

Which is apparently the same conclusion Gypsy reached!

I just did not want to buy a new HD or copy all of my stuff over! :lol:

And Boxer, I am still a little confused by this MAC guy once in a while myself. Except of course, our own MAC, Mr. Chew!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

Funny thing for a geezer like me. Not too many years ago someone asking me for a recommendation for an external hard drive would be told:

"Swift Run Gap on a snowy foggy morning."
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

You sounded pretty geeky for an old geezer!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

I am geezy.