Honestly, how good is the RR for long distance touring 2-up?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MidnightHour
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Honestly, how good is the RR for long distance touring 2-up?

Post by MidnightHour »

I'm looking for a bike that gives me enjoyment around town and during day trips. I know this is an area where the RR can shine. What I'm curious about is the R1150R's ability to be a real sport-tourer with a pillion on the back. I'm talking 2500+ round trips. If I fit full-sized BMW panniers on both sides and a 50l Hepco on the top, a larger windscreen and a larger windscreen, how comfy is the bike really for long distances? Would something like an Aprilia Futura or Triumph Sprint be better suited for this purpose? Any help would be appreciated. 8)
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I've done many all day rides with a pillion..I give our bike two thumbs up for that type of riding..That's why I love this bike.. :smt023 :smt023

I also think that our bike is better than the Futura and Sprint for this purpose...You may have to do some test rides to prove that for yourself.

DJ
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

The R is an ideal bike for long-distance, 2-up trips. Many here have taken extended 2-up trips with great success. My site should give you an idea of this bike's capabilites. http://www.motorcycle-overland.com

Cheers
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

So subjective.

I would say the bike can definitely handle extended two-up touring. It has the same capacity as the RT (GVWR) and since the base bike weighs less, permits more payload!

Comfort on the seats and ergonomic considerations of arm reach to the bars and seat to peg distance might cause you pause. Even shorter inseamed riders feel the pegs are too close, thus challenging the knees' on longer trips.

The Boxer engine's vibration characteristics versus the others you mention might lead you to favor those over this. Boxer vibration is a given - just a matter of how it impacts you.

One thing I would caution: a larger windscreen AND a larger windscreen might lead to more turbulence than you expect. Just right sizing of the screen is a challenge for each individual to balance clear air, weather protection and felt turbulence.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Arbee
Basic User

Post by Arbee »

The RR bikes can be whatever you want to make them,
and will do almost everything you throw at it, but it is a
Naked Roadster and are not as weather proof as an R1200RT
but they are very easy to maintain as most things are visible.

It sounds like you are after a BMW K1200GT
klrstix
Basic User

Post by klrstix »

Midnight...

I live in the NW corner of Louisiana!! I just rode down to Breaux Bridge on my 2004 R1150R this past weekend. FYI my 17 year old daughter loves to ride with me but the passenger seat is not comfortable to her at all. I will probably purchase another seat (one of the Mayer seats) and some type of throttle lock before I make any mega-trek on the R. I also have an Aeroflow windshield on my bike. I am extremely happy with the performance of the windshield on the long distance rides.

Overall, IMO, the 1150R is a very capable 2 up ride with the right seats and a good winshield. This is a bike that does many things well!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Get a after market seat, and maybe a beadrider for your passenger.

The R's strengths are it straddles both ends of the spectrum. Strip it down, and it's a sport hooligan bike. Load it up, and it will tour fine.
It's not a GT though, but then again, neither is the price tag.
If you can afford a GT, go test ride one.

Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

There was a recent acticle in the MOA about a Canadian couple who did a couple of miles together on an R with all their camping gear. Don't do any 2-up touring with my R so I can't speak from personal experience but the R seemed to work well for them.
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

MidnightHour.
I absolutely agree with all the posts above. R1150R right out of the box will do the trip around the word mechanically. Physically, neither you nor your passenger will be able to handle the trip, I could NOT. For 2-UP: a good after market seats (not a seat), large screen, like AeroFlow, proper luggage set up, and you are ready to go. R1150R maximum load is 992 pound. I did some 5K-6K trips 2-up with total weight way, way over 1100 pounds. 70K miles later, my bike does show some cosmetic ware and tear, after all I do not treat BMW like a Harley, but mechanically, it is as good as new. I think that BMW company realized that R1150 basic bike can be converted in to a touring bike very easily, that is why, (my opinion only, I have no intention of starting the war) R1200R is not as versatile as an old predecessor R1150R. This board is full of information and a great bunch of people. Ask the questions and read the answers very carefully. You will save your self tons of money and you will end up with a nice bike.
Aside from Presidential Elections, used BMW bike is the best kept secret in America.:D :D :D
Good Luck.
Last edited by TicTac50 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

sjbmw wrote: The R's strengths are it straddles both ends of the spectrum. Strip it down, and it's a sport hooligan bike. Load it up, and it will tour fine.
Surely that's it in a nutshell - an R can be made to do almost anything, but if your need is niche, then so should be the bike that you choose for that particular task.

I think that most here enjoy that versatility, and have several 'sets' of accessories for winter / summer and solo hooning / two-up touring depending on the given job in hand. I've neither the space, money or time at the moment, but it's the best compromise I can find til I can have an RT, Supermoto & Supersports lined up waiting in the garage ...
peterbulgar
Basic User

Post by peterbulgar »

What others have said plus my own experience:
1) I find the rider's seat comfortable enough, but at my son's insistance I bought a Sargent passenger seat - no complaints.
2) The Pirate's Lair backrest (or other backrest) is the single biggest improvement for passenger comfort.
3) I have a CEE Bailey screen that is the same height as the BMW sport screen. I also have the BMW touring screen. I prefer the sport screen, but everyone is different. You will want some kind of screen.

My son and I rode to Hyder, AK from San Francisco - 4500 mle round trip. My daughter and I did a 2500 mile camping trip around CA, OR, and WA. Enough power for the load, comfortable enough, and still nimble through the twisties. The R can do it all.
Peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA
EasyE
Basic User

Post by EasyE »

Wow!! Reading all of this makes me want one even more!!

It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

Lorne - your blog, site, experience is awsesome, thank you for sharing!!
Currently own an '06 M50, but really want an '04 Rockster, destickered of course!
WrecklessRalph
Basic User

Post by WrecklessRalph »

Midnight,

I bought my 2004 roadster from a guy in NJ that sold it because he and his wife did not find it suitable for two up. Apparently they had taken a trip to Nova Scotia and they had put Sargent seats (front and rear) and she still found it unsuitalble. I am quite happy with it, but my wife does not enjoy more that a two hour ride without a sore butt.

When I go on a week long trip, the bike looks like a pack mule, but she handles the load very well.

Ralph
Johan_SA
Basic User

Post by Johan_SA »

Hi
When I wanted to buy a bike I had to carefully consider the comfort of the pillion because my wife had an op to her back a couple of years ago.

I took her to some of the local dealers and she sat on a Harley, a couple of different super bikes etc. However when she got onto the Beemer, she asked: "When are we going for a ride"?

We have not done very long distances (two up) but she does enjoy riding on the bike on the shorter distances.

I agree that the distance and angle of the footpegs for the rider seems to be uncomfortable unless you take regular breaks.
Can you see the wonder of the fairy tale?
Suzuki T500J
BMW R1150R
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

One thing to consider if you do 2 up touring is to lower the muffler and install a full size left saddlebag.

No 2 up for me, so I have no personal experience.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

Small thread hijack...tor1150r I saw your article in BMWMOA. Looked like a very fun time.
Hijack over...
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
pjpockets
Basic User

Two up.

Post by pjpockets »

In spite of everyone elses opinion, I feel the 1150 does not have enough low end torque for two up riding. When the wife and I come to a stop and then start up again on a hill I have to get the revs up to keep from stalling, and feather the clutch. This makes that lovely smell as the clutch burns, and wears out prematurely. if I really want to spend some two up time, Im gonna need a bigger bike with a better clutch.
telliott
Basic User

Re: Two up.

Post by telliott »

pjpockets wrote:In spite of everyone elses opinion, I feel the 1150 does not have enough low end torque for two up riding. When the wife and I come to a stop and then start up again on a hill I have to get the revs up to keep from stalling, and feather the clutch. This makes that lovely smell as the clutch burns, and wears out prematurely. if I really want to spend some two up time, Im gonna need a bigger bike with a better clutch.
Never had that problem any worse than on anything else I've ridden 2 up on. Steep hills require finesse no mater what I'm riding. I think it is one of the best 2ups I've had, light compared to full on tourers and great handling to boot.

Its not a lack of torque that you are feeling, BMW's are geared high and take some getting used to.
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Low-end torque OK w/ me. MLW & I unexpectedly raced a late 60's GTO (convertible, guy had a tall trophy in the seat next to him) from a stoplight.
It wasn't until I was up to 65 that I heard MLW yelling at me and felt the deathgrip. The car was far behind, and from what I saw down the road his wife was pissed too.

I have no idea why I did it, but even a typical 60's muscle car's acceleration is lame compared to most bikes, the R didn't complain at all, and later MLW told friends about it like it was fun.

It isn't a K1200GT, but I've always heard it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast one.

DLS
arbik
Basic User

Post by arbik »

I'd recommend a different bike, if your only intention is 2-up touring.
I LOVE my Rockster, and in fact, its my touring bike. I have done a 2500 mile trip on it, fully loaded, and have had no problems. Considering you have to stop every 150 miles or so for gasoline, its pretty much perfect.

Then again, I ride with no wind screen, and have been known to endure much more than the average person will put up with.

Having said this, I take my GF once in a while on trips on my bike, and it gets cramped. IF I were touring 2-up all the time, I'd go with a nice used R1150RS. In my oppinions, that is the best touring/sport touring/two-up touring bike BMW has ever made. It is sporty enough, just enough wind and weather protection, HUGE seat for rider and passenger, and TONS of space to carry things on. The Aprillia Futura is also in this category, but I like BMWs because they're simple, old school machines, and I can work on them and save the service $$$ to go on trips with.

My Rockster used to be my hooligan bike, but since I aquired a Moto Guzzi, the Rockster has become the tourer, and the Guzzi is the hooligan bike now.

-arbi