August 1 or April 1?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

August 1 or April 1?

Post by Eagle6 »

Woke this morning, fired up the tablet and this week's Motorcycle News (UK) has a Harley adventure bike on the cover. :badgrin:
So apart from being the fugliest bike I've seen for many a year this has to be a wind up. Tell me it's All Fools Day, please!
2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: August 1 or April 1?

Post by Buckster »

I saw it too! If you scroll down more you will see a HD Streetfighter that looks really nice!
Buckster '03R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Too little, too late, if you ask me. As former Buell owner, I have a hard time looking at these new un-chrome H-D bike designs, thinking about the 10 years since Buell was dropped, a decade squandered on 'same old' products with LEDs and digital dash thrown in.

Recently scheduled a test ride of a Fat Bob as the only interesting bike in current lineup. The test ride offer landed in my email Inbox via H-D corporate, with confirmation that I'd be contacted by local dealer. Sure enough, dealer sales manager sent email (SMS text length "hello") but didn't provide any details, schedule, etc. On test ride day I rode over on my K1300: 150LB lighter than Fat Bob, same almighty torque, 100% more HP (possible exaggeration, because H-D doesn't list horsepower specs for their bikes). Arrived at dealership on sunny Saturday 10am, with cheesy cover band in parking lot singing Sweet Home Alabama (truth) to sparse crowd of black-leathered patrons. Test ride? No Fat Bob available, but "looks like you're a sportsbike rider, so try the Street Rod" (750 crap bike), so I said thanks-no-thanks and left.

As much as I'd like to buy a USA product, there's little chance that's gonna happen again in my lifetime.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Friend of mine is in the HD parts business (aftermarket mostly engine stuff) and he said they brought a new Milwaukee 8 4 valve full bagger by a couple of weeks ago and it will list for $42 grand...

I guess HD is going to spend a bunch of money and bring out many new models.

I have an old panhead ('50) but that is for sentimental reasons totally stock .A friend of mine(double w/GF on back) took it thru Titus canyon DEATH Valley a few years ago...great dirt bike if your not in a hurry and surprisingly reliable!

The moco is in a bit of a bind and trying to figure a way ahead. Their line is high$$$ and there market is aging....ugh!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

kirby. In a HD & Honda dealer last week to pick up Honda caliper joint seals I ordered, same as BMW seals..
HD on the show room floor at $62,0000...............
I paid 3000 in 77 for a new Sportster..(AMF) Oh, my brother owned & built a 54 Vincent Black Shadow..
gotta love that 50 pan.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Wow 62K, and I thought 12K for a RC 30 was a stretch....
The old pan will usually start on one kick if you know how to start it..fun if not in a rush!
(they have become quite valuable as well.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

sweatmark wrote:Too little, too late, if you ask me. As former Buell owner, I have a hard time looking at these new un-chrome H-D bike designs, thinking about the 10 years since Buell was dropped, a decade squandered on 'same old' products with LEDs and digital dash thrown in.

As much as I'd like to buy a USA product, there's little chance that's gonna happen again in my lifetime.

What!
Not even a Modus!

I hear you can get 10 year financing...Ha!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

The Motor Company is getting desperate.
Motorcycle sales are dropping off faster in the USA than in the rest of the world. Harleys customer base is rapidly ageing out of riding and younger people, in general, just aren't interested in motor sports. Those that are interested, want high performance and high tech.
Most of the shakers and movers in the motorcycle industry have high tech bikes for sale and many now offer some retro bikes for people that want them. Harley has catered too long to people that want 1970 motorcycles and the market has passed them by. They had their chance with the Buell and the V-rod but chose to sell the stuff they were comfortable with.

I'm sure they will blame the trade tariffs on their problems but this has been a long time coming and the bill collector is at the door.

Naturally IMHO :)
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358