Paint For Plastic Bike Parts

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Paint For Plastic Bike Parts

Post by Boxer »

I'm looking for a pretty good rattle can type paint to spray some plastic bike parts. Anyone have a recommendation on that?
Boxer
Lifer

Re: Paint For Plastic Bike Parts

Post by Boxer »

Do I take this to mean no one has ever tried this? :-k
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I can't say that I have with body parts on a bike. I know that there are spray paints designed just for plastic. I have seen them in the big box home improvement stores. I am not sure on how big the color selection is with those. I think the problem with painting plastic on a bike is that if the plastic flexes or bends, there is a good chance that the paint will flake. I did paint that little plastic guard that covers where the two fuel lines come out from under the gas tank with some Krylon years ago, and it still looks good!
Buckster '03R
owldaddy
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by owldaddy »

Painting plastics can be challenging sometimes. You need the right paint that won't lift off the surface, or you need to seal the surface with a primer sealer before you color coat. If the paint is not compatible with the plastic, it will lift right up. You'll know it when you see it. I always had good luck with Martin Senour rattle can paint, you can get it at your Napa jobber. They used to put just about every paint they offer in a can, that includes the special primers. In the old days I used a product call Eliminator. It made things easy. Not sure if it is even available anymore. I'm sure the EPA has killed it by now.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

How 'bout this Color Rite or Color Brite? paint that is advertised in the MOA magazine? It's supposed to be touchup paint but it comes in quart cans and spray cans for small jobs. Any experience with this stuff?
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Along these lines, any tips on refinishing a faded, pitted airbox so it looks as handsome as the rest of my ride?
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I think that I have a can of black paint from my old airhead. I will look tomorrow when I get home from work.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

RC Hobby shops usually have a great paint selection made for applying on plastic, I've painted a few bike parts with Pactra RC paint in the past with good results.
Get Lost!
cburgess594
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by cburgess594 »

I dunno if could help you out with this. Actually, this is just what I saw from my other community.

1 - Use a DA (random orbital sander) and a soft backup pad with some 400 grit sandpaper.

2 - Clean the dust off your part very well, use some 50/50 alcohol and water to wipe your part.

3 - Fill low spots with some kind of body filler, Bondo or Evercoat. If your dips are not that deep (less than 1/8") you should be fine.

4 - DA until it looks even.

5 - Spray three coats of primer.

6 - Apply 3M Dry Guide Coat then sand with 400 grit (really 400 to 600 works here)

7 - Look for contrasting color of primer and guide coat. Dark spots are still low. Add a little more putty, sand level and re-primer if needed.