Mike Camellitti (MikeCam) is MISSING in WV Forest

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

SecondWind
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Mike Camellitti (MikeCam) is MISSING in WV Forest

Post by SecondWind »

All;
On the local Roanoke, VA news Saturday night July 2, 2011 there was a very brief missing persons report at the end of the newscast that caught my ear. I am sorry to bring you this news but I thought that it was appropriate that I share this with you since we all care so much for Mike Camellitti (MikeCam) and he has so many Friends on this Forum. After hearing this news I spoke with Dave McClain (Beemeridian -we went riding yesterday and actually spoke about Mike) and he found after a few calls that the missing persons report was filed in Pocahontas County, WV, where Mike was last seen and where his vehicle was found. After I called the local TV station here in Roanoke who carried the news I was referred to the article published in the Charleston Gazette (WV) on Sat, Jul 2. After getting to their web site and buying the article you have it below. The net out is that this is NOT good news any way that you may wish to look at it. If anyone on this Forum has any information on Mike that may assist the police please call them- (contact info in this article).The bigger picture here is what can we do to assist in the search and recovery, if anything. I will look into that on Tuesday and Repost to this thread. If there is some way that we may be able to assist with the search we could certainly rally MANY riders to that cause.

Best Regards to all of you;
Paul Radike

The article below has all of the facts and seems to be well-researched and the Charleston Gazette is WV largest newspaper.

VIRGINIA HIKER, 56, MISSING SINCE MAY IN CRANBERRY WILDS
Publication: THE CHARLESTON GAZETTE
Published: Saturday, July 02, 2011
Page: 1A
Byline: MACKENZIE MAYS STAFF WRITER

Michael Camellitti entered the Cranberry Wilderness on May 23. He parked his vehicle nearby and left a note inside that said he was hiking the North-South Trail and would return four days later. He did not return.

The West Virginia State Police discovered the vehicle, parked off Williams River Road in Marlinton, Monday afternoon. Camellitti, of Stanardsville, Va., had been declared missing on June 12. "A note in his car specified he planned on coming out on May 27. By all indications, if he did make it into the wilderness, he's been in there for about a month now," said State Police Sgt. Glen Galloway of the Marlinton detachment.

Family members have told police that Camellitti, 56, is experienced in hiking and caving, and unaccompanied trips have not been out of the ordinary. "He was into this type of thing. He had just done a hike in Texas, where he survived without his own supply of food and water for four days," Galloway said.

About 20 searchers from the State Police, Pocahontas County Emergency Services and Shavers Fork Fire Rescue were divided into pairs to search the 50,000-acre wilderness for Camellitti on Tuesday. The next day, a cadaver-dog team from the state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management joined a 12-member crew to follow up on any trails that were left unsearched. Galloway said the search and rescue teams covered 100 miles of trails but found no signs of Camellitti. "Some of these trails are unmarked and washed out," Galloway said. "We are still investigating at this point."

Melvin Martin, Pocahontas County Emergency Services director, said the county's search and rescue team does about four rescues a year. This case isn't like those, he said, because of the time between the date on Camellitti's note and the discovery of his vehicle. "This is different from most search and rescues," Martin said. "It's more of a search and discovery - because it's about 30 days overdue." Martin described the Cranberry woods as "a treacherous area," recalling wreckage from an airplane that took more than a decade to recover. "It's a very densely wooded area. Because there are so many trees, even if we did use an aircraft to search, you wouldn't be able to spot anything," Martin said. "Options are very limited when dealing with something like this." The recent searches illustrated some potential problems, he said. "In some parts, the forest is so dense you can't see past the trail. So, if he's camping off-trail, we wouldn't know. One team reported a trail was so hard to walk on that they almost fell into the river. When we get a lot of rain, the river rises and it's dangerous," Martin said. "Right now, it's all speculation."

Martin said the Pocahontas team and the others are working hard to locate the missing man. "We've done, and are continuing to do, everything humanly possible with the resources we've got," he said. "You don't really ever end a search like this. You're pretty much suspended until you find another lead to go on."

Anyone with information about Camellitti should call the State Police, at 304-799-4101.

Reach Mackenzie Mays at [email protected] or 304-348-5100
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Mike Camellitti (MikeCam) is MISSING in WV Forest

Post by sjbmw »

Oh my goodness. Mega-Prayer Alert.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Mike and his family are (and have been) in my prayers. Many, many times a day.

wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

This is bad news. I really hope they find him. I don't know what to say, I'm speechless.

I'm posting this forum wide so everyone can see it - maybe someone spoke to him via PM and knows something the police don't.
Member #1
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I've reposted this thread over on ADVrider to get more exposure, my thoughts are with Mike and his family.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Thoughts & prayer for Mike. Hope he's found, safe & sound. He would be missed here.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Wow. Ann & I were stunned as I read this post aloud. The MikeCam I know from Beakster Bashes did not seem like the type of man that would attempt a solo hike in such a dangerous area. We join the group hoping and praying for a good outcome. [-o<
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Just trying to keep the faith and hope for the best.

Doc
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
JenCam
Honorary Lifer

Post by JenCam »

Hi. This is Jennifer. I'm one of Mike's daughters. I just wanted to say thank you for all of the prayers and positive thoughts going out for my dad. I don't know much more than what was written in the articles and that has been one of the hardest parts of this whole thing, the not knowing. I believe that the police will soon be looking for volunteers to continue any search efforts. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated by myself, my sisters, and the rest of our family. Thank you.

Jennifer
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Jennifer,
Just let us know if there is anything we can do to help. And I cannot imagine how hard it is not knowing.

Jeff
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Jennifer,

All I can do is add my prayers from far away for an outcome that allows you to find peace with your thoughts and emotions at this testing time. May your God provide comfort for you all, and especially for Mike.

Mick B.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

JenCam wrote:Hi. This is Jennifer. I'm one of Mike's daughters. I just wanted to say thank you for all of the prayers and positive thoughts going out for my dad. I don't know much more than what was written in the articles and that has been one of the hardest parts of this whole thing, the not knowing. I believe that the police will soon be looking for volunteers to continue any search efforts. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated by myself, my sisters, and the rest of our family. Thank you.

Jennifer
Jennifer,

My prayers/thoughts go out to you and your family. May God comfort you and your family through this difficult time of not knowing, etc.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I am also praying for Mike and his family.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Post by mcooperstein »

I too send my prayers on behalf of Mikes family. I was thinking about it this morning, and the last couple of years the *only*camping I've done was with Cam and some of the other miscreants from this board in West Virginia. I've not made it to a bash in years, and have missed the Hungry Mother VA ride also for the past two years. But, I always looked forward to our WV fall camping trip. I was looking forward to it again this fall.

Mark
seanx820
Basic User

Post by seanx820 »

wow, everyone keep an eye out
michael Tobias
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 714

Post by michael Tobias »

sad news. I hope that Mike will be found safe. our thoughts and prayers are for Mike and his family.
MikeT
08R1200R crystal grey
09R1200R alpine white
95 R1100RS RIP
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Jennifer
Your dad and I shared some sort of bond that went a little beyond our love of bikes. Mike visited me several times last year as I was transferred from hospital to hospital. He came to my home over Christmas as well. I know Chew is closer to him but I consider Mike one of my very best friends. I don't walk very well but I CAN walk and I would count it an honor to search or help in any way. Matter of fact I am part of a group of amateur radio operators here in the Staunton area. We can assist in communications to aide in a search. I live just an hour away from your Dad and can get to you quickly. My cell is 540-448-5767. Call me ANYTIME.

Wayne Bowyer
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
ebincia
Basic User

Post by ebincia »

Keeping Mike and his family in my thoughts...hoping for the best.
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Jennifer I have some items for sale on this site. I would like to have payment for the items sent to a fund to help your family out with any expenses you may incur. If you do not have one already, can you please set up a paypal account and send the associated email address to me so that we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Jarrod in Eagle, ID

Jsimonta (at) gmail.com
2004 Roc.
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

jas wrote:Jennifer I have some items for sale on this site. I would like to have payment for the items sent to a fund to help your family out with any expenses you may incur. If you do not have one already, can you please set up a paypal account and send the associated email address to me so that we can get the ball rolling.
I would like to contribute, also. Please keep us posted.

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)