Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

mpescatori
Basic User

Re: Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

Post by mpescatori »

Hello, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy.

I am already member in many BMW Forums, yet when I found this one I told myself "I positively MUST join this one too!"

So here I am !

My previous rides were a BMW R65 MkI, a Moto Guzzi V50 Monza and a Ducati Scrambler 450 MkII, in reverse order.

I currently ride "the Trans-Europ Express", R1200 ST with a few wise and stylish modifications.
(Rizoma handlebars, higher windshield and handsguard, plus lowered footpegs)
I have also just recently modded the lights with a layout I will describe in a dedicated thread.
Akrapovic ? I'd rather invest in a dial-a-inject so I can use whatever gasoline/petrol quality I come across...

In this pic I was going to a Bike meet in Austria, Kock Mountains, where I learned to scrape the pegs... in style !

;)
Maurizio
The Man who would be King

R1200ST Captain Barbossa
Suzuki Savage Barabbas
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

Hi,

I had an assortment of bikes in my youth, starting with a 1940's era 45ci HD chopper hard tail, ugh, some honda 305, 350-4, Yamaha 360 enduro, triumph t100, lambretta 125 scooter and some basket cases I never got running. I got rear ended one rainy summer day and that really put the damper on my motorcycle enthusiasm. This was pre-cellphone era, pre ABS, maybe he was fiddling with his 8 track, but he slid into me while I was stopped in traffic at a stop sign. He punched the poor little 305 into the chevy bumper ahead of me, and i just sat down on his hood, turned and looked at him and said "really?" I fixed the tranny and tail light and bumper and put it away, for good. That was 1972.

Fast forward a few decades. After becoming a widower, I had the urge to get back in the saddle. Got a Yamaha Virago 250. Nice little bike but I quickly learned that I need enough power to accelerate out of potential situations, and i can't stand a bike I cant get off my butt by standing on the pegs. So I got a 2003 KLR650. More of a pig than the 360 enduro on the trails (found out I'm way less interested in blazing trails in the bush than I used to be) and not being able to ride the tank dry without getting off to let the sensation come back to vibrated limbs was another no-go. I then got a 2007 Suzuki WeeStrom DL650. I love it! It's got pelican side cases and a givi trunk, and room to haul my camping gear with comfort at highway speed. I ride it around town (though it is top heavy and ungainly because of it). I still wanted to find the comfortable cruiser that will maybe last as long as my riding years are.

Saw a K1200LT for sale very reasonable and seemed like a good deal. It's a couple hours away so before I drove down to view it, I searched online for rider impressions. The forums love it, but I wanted to now about any gotchas to be wary of. I saw a rant on YouTube and it sobered me up. 900 pounds. An hour for a trained factory mechanic to remove the skins and tank just to check the air filter. 900 pounds. I ride solo and if it ever tipped......! 900 pounds! I've only been riding again for 2 years and am still re/learning riding skills and hopefully developing smart good riding habits. I keep promising to look for a safe riding school, but I'd rather be riding or at the target range, but that's for another forum.

I looked to see what other models BMW has. I worked for nearly 20 years on German prepress and digital press equipment, so have an appreciation for German engineering, despite some blockhead stubbornness often found when you but recognize it. What I was really missing was the bikes of the 60's and 70's with simple covers and gauges where you're riding in the elements. (I appreciate the tall Givi screen of the wee). I 'discovered' the r1200r. It came close to meeting what the boy inside this old guy was missing. I checked some Craigslist ads and picked a r1200rt and a r1150r to test drive a week ago Sunday. The rt was really nice and I almost went for it, but knew I had to look at the other one before dropping 10k on a used (and dropped) bike.

I get to the r1150r and find a show room new looking 2003 bike, meticulously maintained by a self-proclaimed anal care-giver of his toys. (You should see his VW camper, it too is show room clean, and used alot!) Due to quirks of health issues the R had only 1250 real miles on it. Annual oil changes, always garaged and covered, a real beauty. You could tell the guy was giving up a dream but going to gain other things he wanted and would use. I appreciated all of it, and came back with a ride the next day and drove it home. It is by far the nicest bike I've ever ridden or owned. I like it so well I clean the bugs off before I go inside. (Makes the DL jealous a bit).

I can hardly wait to get saddlebags and take it to the Black Hills, but I want to study and do it right. I've already decided to lower the pipe to get a full size left bag, and I'll be looking for a tall screen option, because the smoked factory one puts the bugs right in my face! I don't mind the wind there, but I hate looking through the squish on the face shield!!! I can go camping with the DL so can take the time to do the BMW right. It's waited 10 years for me, I can wait a bit for it.

It isn't as simple to find parts for a 10 year old brand new bike, but I know I'll find what I need, especially with good forums like this one, so I popped for a lifership! I'm interested in meeting BMW owners in the Twin Cities area to meet ride with and learn from. Maybe I can show you a thing or two about hammock camping if you haven't switched by now.

Thanks for reading this far if you have.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

Delete please.
Last edited by ldeijkva on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldeijkva
Basic User

Post by ldeijkva »

Just a quick note from a new R1150R owner from the Netherlands.
My name is Laurens van Deijk, 31 years old & have been riding for the past 12 years. Mostly on Beemers, and even more often on boxers.
Officially still owning a K1200RS, upcoming saturday I'm picking up a black '01 R with roughly 21K miles clocked in.

Dealer pics:

Bike is pretty standard. Luguage racks, speedster windshield, heated grips, no ABS etc.
Looks very neat, someone sure looked after it.

Before getting the RS my girlfriend & I owned a Hornet & a Tuono. Decided to sell both & get one bike sitting in the garden.
After a few rides we came to the conclussion that although it looked like a perfect bike for duo rides & commuting. It was actually too fast & heavy for both.
Returning to an R is always like coming home.... :)

Hope I can be of use on this forum. I'm not a very experienced tech-head but do like to get my hands dirty.
Servicing is not an issue, had a few hoot the last couple of years. Useally I just do my homework & start wrenching away.
Worst case I have to take the car to work.

See you around!

Laurens
beamercat
Basic User

Post by beamercat »

Doug wrote:The members and I would like to wish all newcomers a warm welcome to our little r1150r mecca. We had a post on the old board with many replies about who people are and it fun to read. It really helps everyone meet eachother and share interests too.

[update - dead link!]
Here is a link to the old thread:
http://p080.ezboard.com/fbmwr1150rmessa ... =1&stop=20

Who will be the first to post! :P

Good evening all.... as I sit here watching Tiger Woods tear up the 2013 WGC Bridgestone Inv, just like the old days; I am getting pumped to take possession of my first BMW motorcycle; a 2003 R1150R. I cut my teeth in the late 60's on Honda CB's and a couple Yamaha dirts. Road them with the new girlfriend that turned into a wife of almost 38 years now and stopped for some years while endless travel cut into any quality ride time. Then in 2007 friends helped jump start the riding bug again and we bought a beautiful '08 Harley Ultra Classic. After a few years my wife wasn't as interested in riding much. The traffic and the rage around the DC Metro area, well...... it was not like it was when we were young. So, knowing when she's serious about a topic, I gave her a kiss and thanked her for many fabulous miles and good times again. But not getting any younger and tired on lugging a huge bike around I decided to trade the Ultra in on a new retro style 2013 Honda CB1100 that just hit the street. But, as much as I fell in love with this new Honda, a couple items started to sour my experience. First, I guess my posterior got used to that big HD bucket to sit on, and the Honda sadly (and surprisingly) has a pretty harsh seat (for an old guy). I also have a 1979 Suzuki GS850G sport shaft drive and that seat is very comfortable especially on a 34 yr old ride. And second, I noticed there are virtually no aftermarket accessories to score. So when my oldest son decided to trade out of his HD Street Glide and enter the BMW riding world on a 2011 F800R I started eyeballing this gorgeous 2003 R1150R sitting in the dealer store. The more I saw it the more I was regretting not getting another "cruiser". So I started wheeling and dealing and as of this afternoon we had ourselves an acceptable deal. Tuesday noon I will be the extremely happy owner of a mint condition 2003 R1150R in black, nicely optioned with less than 7K miles!!! Once again dad and junior will be riding the pavement and enjoying the BMW riding experience.

We're both pretty much gear heads and capable of working on our rides as we got the '79 Suzuki restored and running again and look forward in customizing our Beamers to our liking. I will be picking a few brains now and then while we learn the nuance's of BMW ownership.

Safe riding to all. All the best,

beamercat :)
Tanned, rested and retired....
veragibbs
Basic User

Post by veragibbs »

Hey people! m new here! work in an IT company and it seems that this forum is the only entertainment in my life right now
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Hi, just rejoined this site last week, was a member in '02 when I first got my '02 1150R, then had trouble getting back on this site and never returned .

I've been riding since '79, on BMW's since '81, along with the 1150, I have 3 R65's 2 LS version and one standard, just recently acquired an '87 Guzzi V65 Lario with 21,000 miles on it in showroom condition .

I reside in a suburb of Phoenix, Aridzona , Tempe, lived here for 20 years, moved from the Chicago area in '93, never leaving here !!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I have been an aircraft mechanic for the 37 years, last 34 on commercial jets for an airline .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome back AZ!
Member #1
tankakaox
Basic User

Post by tankakaox »

Hi,

My name is Graham, a rapidly approaching 30 year old Zimbabwean, living in the states. I have owned my black and orange, '04 Rokster since March this year. She is my second bike and a step up in size from my '06 599 Hornet. I live in Washington DC and pass my time banging my head against a wall trying to get my pHd in helicopter engineering and building human powered helicopters for fun.

The bike
She has 31,000miles on her, only 4,000 of those are mine.
Pretty standard setup with OEM windsheild that I just put on to try and keep warmer this winter; racks for side cases (not on right now) and the big Givi topcase which I use every day to commute with.
She is in pretty good shape, but for deteriorating tank paint (Something I will be asking about in the forums shortly).
I have made myself a custom seat which I made a long write up about two nights ago to post here, clicked post, and have never seen the post again? Knowing the propensity of the internet to loose data I had a copy-paste saved elsewhere luckily. I did a quick look for a posting help page, but nothing yet. Did I screw this up? Is it being moderated (two days now?) Where do I get help?
Put new Michelin Pilot Roads on over the weekend, as well as cleaned the bits of rat dropping in the air filter housing. Working out my plan of attack for a cold winter of riding ahead.

Looking forward to spending too much time on here. I'm not membered up yet. Thought I would test the waters first....but I probably will.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome!!!
Member #1
bridgetjefferson
Basic User

Post by bridgetjefferson »

Hi i am a newbie here guys. Happy to join the forum.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome Bridget!
Member #1
WayneS
Basic User

Post by WayneS »

Hello everyone.
New member here. My name is Wayne and I live in Waterloo, Illinois with my wife Ginny and 2004 R1150R. I started riding in 1962 on a (gasp) Harley Davidson "Topper" scooter. My riding has been more or less continuous ever since with a stream of Honda, Suzuki, Hodaka, Triumph and Kawasaki motorcycles. I purchased the 1150 in 2011 with 2,100 miles on the odo. It's been a great bike and is a keeper. Off road riding is my passion, but age (and condition) keep me from indulging any more.
Wayne
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Welcome Wayne.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome Wayne! I'll get you (and others) signed up as members properly asap.
Member #1
dani3le
Basic User

Post by dani3le »

Just dropping by to say hi. I'm new to the forum and I ride a 2003 R1150R. I look forward to chatting with you guys.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome!
Member #1
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

dani3le wrote:Just dropping by to say hi. I'm new to the forum and I ride a 2003 R1150R. I look forward to chatting with you guys.
excellent bike, welcome! acres of knowledge here. It's helped me more than once 8)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
stu22
Basic User

Post by stu22 »

Hi all

Joined up here on the advice of Riceburner as I've recently purchased an '03 R1150R Rockster.

Come form a background of modern sportsbikes and trackdays coupled with a few years of commuting old nails to work, so have covered a fair few miles fast and slow!

Looking forward to a more sedate life with the Rockster....
SmittyBlackstone
Basic User

Post by SmittyBlackstone »

Hello.
Smitty here.
I have a 95 R1100R, an 85 K100, a bunch of old Hondas, a smattering of Harleys, couple of mopeds, an ancient Ducati or two, 2 Yamahas and a Suzuki Rotary.

After being told, "after you ride a Beemer, you'll ride nothing else", I admit that I do prefer the Beemers. Especially my Brick.
The Oilhead however, has given me problems. But I love it when it runs.

I am a self-employed heating contractor in Westchester County, NY
My other hobbies are (wasting money, according to my wife)
Old Corvettes (I am an NCRS judge)
Collecting old bikes
And restoring just about anything I find.