Seattle to Austin and back: my ROT rally ride

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

frkn_toaster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Seattle to Austin and back: my ROT rally ride

Post by frkn_toaster »

Took the last two weeks and rode my bullet-proof r1150r from Seattle to Austin to visit Texan friends, attend the Republic of Texas rally, and generally exploring areas of the West I'd never seen before.

5000 miles, 10 states: WA, OR, ID, NV, UT, CO, NM, TX, AR, CA
Here's the route:
https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=evere ... 12&t=m&z=9

The bikes:
My husband Brad: 2006 Buell XB12X
Our buddy Joeh: 1998 Harley Davidson Road King
Mine: 2002 R1150R

This trip was the most amazing experience of my life so far, hoping to have more trips like this to look forward to – especially as now I'll have much further to travel to get to roads I haven't seen before. We averaged around 450 miles a day on the road. We mostly stayed at cheap motels with walking-distance bars and free breakfast in the mornings.

Highlights:
Deadman's Pass, OR: a short but fun pass with a spectacular curvature-of-the-earth view. Rode through the Bonneville Salt Flats. 3rd day riding through Utah was the hottest I've ever experienced – that is one brutal desert. We were repaid for our ride through burning hell with a (still hot) jaunt through Arches National Park. Just a couple hours later rode into Durango, CO and we were welcomed with lush green hills and glorious cool air. (And beer!)

In Austin, the Rally was fun: terrible music, excellent people watching. A lot of interesting bikes (stretched Hayabusas?? I didn't even know that was a thing). Downtown Austin was shut down and filled with motorcycles for a night – the strip wreaked of oil and exhaust, it was awesome.

On the rode home:
We got some relief from the burning sun in New Mexico on the way to Farmington. Storms in New Mexico are breathtaking. Clouds were sporadic, tall, and heavy, so we'd ride between windows of burning sunlight and patches of steaming heavy rain, winding between epic southwest mesas.

Riding with wild horses: On the way to Monument Valley in Utah, we encountered a couple of wild horses on the road. We slowed down let them get out of the way, and as we passed by (with caution) one of the horses picked up pace and galloped after us for a piece. About a mile down the road a few more wild horses, same deal: slowed down, let them get off the road, watch them get a little excited as we pass. A few minutes later, we came across an entire pack of them, maybe 10 total, all different colors and ages, taking up the whole road. Brad on the XB12X (was leading), slowed to a stop and revved his engine. The pack accumulated to one side orderly enough, and as we passed again they got excited and the entire pack started running with us on the shoulder as long as they could keep up with us.

That evening we did Zion National Park (incredible, impressive, indescribable).

Nevada is amazing – desolate but beautiful, we were expecting a torturous ride through the burning desert. Instead we had 85 dry degrees through the empty high desert. Took "Extraterrestrial Highway" – 150 miles with no services, but there was a quirky little town of conspiracy theorists, and we passed the "black box": a mailbox in the middle of nowhere next to a dirt road that goes off supposedly for 50 miles which is where Area 51 may or may not be. Honestly that stretch of nothing would be a great place for a secret government facility.

Stayed overnight in Reno, the next day in Bend, OR. Some gorgeous roads through California on the way home.

PHOTOS

I am generally terrible at taking photos when I'm having a good time, but I got a few on my cell phone and some the guys shot, so here's a few worth sharing.

Dead Man's Pass, OR

Arches National Park

Utah coal country

Washed my bike in San Antonio – it poured rain about 10 minutes later and ruined everything.

Zion National Park at sunset

B. F. Nevada
mnnden
Basic User

Re: Seattle to Austin and back: my ROT rally ride

Post by mnnden »

Really a great ride!!, some of your pictures brought back memories of past rides, Great pictures & Great write up!!! Thanks for taking the time to post,

these two photos didn't load for me

We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Great report, thanks for posting!

I got to see a desert before I kick it....
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Nice photos thanks for sharing.

Is that an "S" fairing on that roadster? Looks great, does it "manage" the air for you?

And I noticed the leather...in the desert ? was it cool?
frkn_toaster
Basic User

Post by frkn_toaster »

The fairing is a universal-mount Emgo I picked up and chopped so it wouldn't bump the oil coolers. I like it for ducking cafe-style – beyond that it doesn't offer a ton of wind protection.

My jacket's a textile, but I had major leather envy – both the guys had leather and claimed they were kept cooler. My method for dealing with the heat was to soak a headband in water and pour some into the jacket at each gas station – usually dried after about 50 miles in that heat, but definitely helped.
clutchpuck
Basic User

Post by clutchpuck »

ron prior wrote:Nice photos thanks for sharing.

Is that an "S" fairing on that roadster? Looks great, does it "manage" the air for you?

According to this IBA article about heat management ( http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/iron ... 66_Hot.pdf ), under about 93f, mesh gear should keep you cooler. Over 93, it's better to hide from the wind however you can to minimize how much heat you pick up from convection.
In Summary…
The magic number is 93. Below 93°F, it’s fairly easy to stay cool on a motorcycle as long as you are moving fast enough to get some wind against your skin for convective cooling. A mesh riding suit feels great.

Above 93°F, it’s a different world. The wind is no longer your friend. For long distance riding in temperature higher than 93°F, you need to (1) minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast; (2) wear wicking undergarments, including a helmet liner; (3) carry an adequate supply of cool water and drink frequently; and (4) insulate any parts of your body exposed to engine heat or radiator discharge.

Dress right, drink right, and enjoy the ride
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

clutchpuck wrote:
ron prior wrote:Nice photos thanks for sharing.

According to this IBA article about heat management ( http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/iron ... 66_Hot.pdf ), under about 93f, mesh gear should keep you cooler. Over 93, it's better to hide from the wind however you can to minimize how much heat you pick up from convection.
In Summary…
The magic number is 93. Below 93°F, it’s fairly easy to stay cool on a motorcycle as long as you are moving fast enough to get some wind against your skin for convective cooling. A mesh riding suit feels great.

Above 93°F, it’s a different world. The wind is no longer your friend. For long distance riding in temperature higher than 93°F, you need to (1) minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast; (2) wear wicking undergarments, including a helmet liner; (3) carry an adequate supply of cool water and drink frequently; and (4) insulate any parts of your body exposed to engine heat or radiator discharge.

Dress right, drink right, and enjoy the ride

Frankly @ that temp & up?...it is {for me anyway} stop at the air conditioned motel...hopefully one that has or is near to a dingle lounge =D> It just seems at some point the heat wins...I don't care what you do :-k And then there is the humidity!!!
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

frkn_toaster wrote:The fairing is a universal-mount Emgo I picked up and chopped so it wouldn't bump the oil coolers. I like it for ducking cafe-style – beyond that it doesn't offer a ton of wind protection.

My jacket's a textile, but I had major leather envy – both the guys had leather and claimed they were kept cooler. My method for dealing with the heat was to soak a headband in water and pour some into the jacket at each gas station – usually dried after about 50 miles in that heat, but definitely helped.

Heat management comes down to what ever works for ya...

The fairing looks great!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Thanks for the report. Brings back mems of my trip out there in May. I loved Nevada, the surprise of the trip.
The black mailbox is white. :D
just sayin'

Do it again! Wanna see more!

John

PS "The music was terrible"?????
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates