Advice on Routes to Nova Scotia

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Advice on Routes to Nova Scotia

Post by fastdogs2 »

Having survived the heat in the 2011 Bloomsburg, PA and the 2012 Sedalia, MO MOA Rallies, I am ready for some cooler riding in 2013. I am considering a trip to Nova Scotia in July 2013 and need some advice on possible routes.

I intend to take US 15 north from North Carolina to the Corning, NY area and ride the Finger Lakes area before heading northeast.

What are the eastern routes I can take to traverse the New England states to arrive in Maine for the border crossing into Canada?

If necessary, I can take Interstates, but would prefer to travel some of the better riding roads enroute.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Advice on Routes to Nova Scotia

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Having just gone up to New England, I wanted to avoid i 81

US220 and US219 deserve a look and will get you some of the way up there. 219 was better, but both were good.The riding around Lake Champlain is pretty good and vermont, for me, was pretty much dart board, I found Vt roads much emptier than NH and Me, and esp less than Mass. I crossed Lake Champlain on a ferry and that was pretty cool. There is a road along Lake george and lake Champlain in NY that is pretty nice, I think NY9.

I would have considered Va16 up into WV 10 and 16-done those before, I think, but the storms had made many roads impassable. That may be farther west than you'd want though.
The thing about riding up there, at least for me, is that there are lots of people, read more traffic than if you head west. Others should chime in as this was my only foray up east, so far.
Expect motel rooms to be more expensive than in the south or west. And, they fill up more quickly.

My trip was in July, so my experience could be skewed a bit by being there during a touristy season.

It was very neat though, on the whole.

john
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

The 2 across Maine is where it's at if you're coming from upstate NY. Can't really pick a bad secondary road in my experience through VT and NH. It's all pretty good. If you're coming through southern NB when you arrive in East Kanuckistan, look me up.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

+1 for Rt2 You can pick it up in Burlington Vt and take it to Bangor, Me. then Rt9 to the border. Maine is seriously lacking in 'motorcycle roads' and IMHO 2 then 9 is the best way across.

Also in Vermont and New Hampshire route 2 is near many of the more popular motorcycle touring spots and they could easily be worked into the trip.

tiPirate - leaving for Larrys River,NS in a couple of weeks (Salty Fog Rally) and will stop in Fundy National Park, I'll shout HI when I ride by.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

If the timing is right for a coffee or other libation, feel free to say more than "HI" from the freeway. :)