The LC forum is a ghost town

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

The LC forum is a ghost town

Post by lcarlson »

It’s amazing how moribund this forum is — other than Moishe Levy’s product reviews, there has been nothing posted since last June.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Roger 04 rt

Re: The LC forum is a ghost town

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Given that mine is the first reply in a month, your point is proven. Hello ... is anybody here?
Paul-from-VA
Lifer

Post by Paul-from-VA »

Sort of I guess.
Paul
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

A ghostly response.
I've got an R1200GS Adventure on loan (2018 model). The controls are so complex I'm completely stumped. The headlight switch was invisible while sitting on the bike and I still do not know how to view the odometer and mileometer (any ideas?). I like the digital gear indicator but not the digital speedometer. A speedometer should give some sense of the rate of acceleration by the needle sweeping around faster or slower. Not suddenly whoops I'm doing xxxmph.
The width of the tank and radiators is OTT, I thought mine was chunky.
I think a more basic and naked LC boxer would be more to my taste.
Discuss!
I'll be glad to get my simple R1150R back.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

I’ve never really wanted a GS — too tall and too ugly. I did test ride a new R1200R recently, and it is a very nice machine. It did not have the ESA, but the standard suspension felt pretty good. When I got back on my Ohlins/Hyperpro equipped ‘50R though, I knew I had all I needed. It’s my “Goldilocks “ bike, not too big, not too small, does all that I ask it to.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

As a boxer rider of several decades vintage, I can say what an amazing machine the redesigned R1200R glycol- air-cooled downdraught wet-clutched product really is.

I had a morning's test-ride in the UK the other week, courtesy of a palatial BMW concessionaire in Yokk-shurr - Allan Jefferies in Shipley / Baildon. They seem to say they're in both places but they're actually in Shipley. You can't miss 'em 'cos the place is like a Walmart in size; never seen so much BMW Motorrad metal in one place...unlimited coffee and biscuits all part of the browsing deal.

Anyroad up, the pleasant un-pressing salesman handed me the key to a pristine 10-month-old R1200R naked roadster with all the bells'n'whistles. Plus around two grand's worth of accessories including the tall touring screen, Pro-Shift, rear-wheel hugger and front-engine mud-protector, Comfort seating, expensive Akrapovič end-can and satnav installation.

"Go off up into the boondocks, and if you get lost, just hit this button and it'll point you the way back here.." said he. Amazing. And it did.

But WHAT a machine ! Takes off like a Harrier jump Jet with a flick of the throttle, with 123 brake-horse-power surging beneath your bollocks, and raring to go. Goes round corners like a railway train, and if you overcook a corner, as you're likely to do after only about 20 minutes aboard, due to the massive amount of over-confidence this vehicle inspires, the Lean Angle Sensor cuts in and makes darn sure you don't run out of road and make a fool of yourself - or strawberry jam on the tarmac.

Long have I decried BMW's current money-grubbing pricing policy, now aimed at maximising profits whilst outsourcing as many Chinese components as possible.

But this vehicle is a true revelation, compared to the 4-valve, dry-clutched oil-cooled bike that owes most of its heritage to the wartime Wehrmacht sidecar outfits, and has doggedly continued with many of those design concepts of the 1940s.

This totally-revised Boxer motor and chassis / drivetrain / suspension is a real achievement in the modern world of motorcycling. The combine seems to have genuinely had Safety as its major watchword. Everything about the electronically-controlled motor and ride seems to have Rider Safety uppermost in mind on the designer's draughtboard.

I was truly blown away with admiration and thrills after but a short time astride it.
What a machine ! Wish I could afford one.

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Great description and its tempting.
I just can't bring myself to have a machine in the barn that is smarter than me! and I would have to take to a dealer for any problems other than regular service.
Even a modified 9T which is something with mods I could get on with but....nearest dealer is 140 miles..canbus ...ugh!

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Eagle6 »

@sykospain
I had the same experience at the same dealers. Can't fault them.
Bought a new LC Exclusive Dec 23 2016, had it 3 months, rode it for 1,700 miles and sent it back. It rusted, rotted and bubbled paint everywhere.
I did enjoy it but within a few weeks the switchgear self destructed, and then it went from bad to worse, so handed it back and got a full refund. Jeffries were very good and I have no complaints about their service.
Things I didn't like about the LC were the footrest position, higher and further back than the TC, and the instruments are a joke. Black figures on a dark amber background. I didn't notice how bad they were on the test ride but were a PITA if you haven't got 20:20 vision.
Back on a 2012 TC and enjoying it.
2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC