Added a USB port

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

Added a USB port

Post by RedRyder »

Nothing earthshaking about this add on, but it is becoming more important to have a USB port for phone, camera, gps, etc. The USB port pictured here is "water resistant" not water proof, but has a nice fitting cover and it is behind the wind screen. I used heat shrink tubing to cover the wires and give it a cleaner look. Just tuck the wiring up under the tank cover and thread through seat mount or wherever you choose. I used a right angle DIN plug for the socket under the right side of the seat. Also used heat shrink tubing to cover the wires that led into the plug. You could also just purchase a right angle DIN plug that has the USB port. I wanted to have the USB port up by the handlebars to accommodate my tank bag and or when I use my RAM mount for the phone.

Your looking to get 5v/2a output to charge/run your devices. It has a no-load drain of about 0.006 to 0.007 ampere. You could install an on-off switch, but since I use a Smart Charger most all of the time when not riding the bike, I'm going to leave mine connected.

Remember the days when you just rode - no phone, no gps, no gadgets? There is however, a good reason for being connected.... safety.

What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
peels
Basic User

Re: Added a USB port

Post by peels »

very nice.

much better than my cobbled together system. :lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Added a USB port

Post by Eagle6 »

These are now available from Optimate that fit in a standard BMW DIN plug.

Sales blurb:
The OptiMate USB’s dual output plug meets important rider criteria:
• Turns off automatically to avoid excess current drain.
• Will not flatten the battery.
• Slimline – protrudes only by 38mm from the socket.
• Waterproof when in use or when not in use.

The OptiMate 90 degree DIN plug with 2 USB outlets delivers 3300mA USB charging power through two USB outlets with one outlet positioned perfectly for motorcycles with a side mounted 12V DIN socket. Charge your phone after parking your motorcycle without worrying about the battery! This plug shuts off after 3 hours or immediately if the battery voltage is low!
2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC