Haynes Serv/Repair Manual R1200 LC twins - '13-'16

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

Haynes Serv/Repair Manual R1200 LC twins - '13-'16

Post by RedRyder »

Bought the new Haynes service manual for LC twins the other day and wanted to share some impressions.

* First the cost was $45.95 from Amazon. That's pricey.
* the type font must be a 9 pt. or 8 pt. I'm not a font expert but smaller than typical newsprint. get out the magnifying lens!
* a few pages of color, but only for the history of bmw and colored shots of the tools needed for repairs in the back section
* honestly, the photography is a bit better than for example, my 1983 Haynes manual for Honda CS/GL's. that seems wrong, with the incredible advance in digital photography.
* one area I like to check on repair manuals is how valves are checked and adjusted. the new Haynes manual devotes around 700 words and 7 pictures to this procedure. shim removal and replacement gets 1 picture and a couple paragraphs.
* i like table of contents that have the sections for each bike component printed vertically on the right edge with a corresponding black line for that section on the outside pages. this table of contents is printed more like a textbook.
* has 4 pages of technical terms in the back just before the index. not a bad thing. the index uses bold type for the terms. that helps.

here are 2 photos that show some changes in style. the first is from the new book and the 2nd from the 1983 vintage repair manual.

my review is not intended to convince anyone to buy it or not. just thought you might like to know whats out there for repair. there is going to be more and more youtube and forum videos and pics as time goes on. there already exists a pretty good video of a valve check on a water-cooled RT on the web.

do your own maintenance and save some coin. you can have the dealer plug in the diagnostics tool and reset the fault codes for under $50.
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
Paul-from-VA
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Haynes Serv/Repair Manual R1200 LC twins - '13-'16

Post by Paul-from-VA »

Thanks, good to know something is available.
Paul