R bars on an RS?

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

tinytrains
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

R bars on an RS?

Post by tinytrains »

I really like the RS, but the bars are too far forward for my short arms. The top of the triple clamp has slots for conventional bars under the cast aluminum RS bars. Has anyone tried putting the tubular bars on the RS?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: R bars on an RS?

Post by roger l »

Scott:
Below is a link to a web site that lets you compare the ergonomics of different bikes. I was looking at the R1200RS. I currently have a 2008 R1200R that I installed bar risers on to get the handle bars to the place I like them. I compared the ergonomics of my 2008 R1200R with 1" X 1" bar backs to the new R1200RS and there is no way that I can get the bars back far enough to get the lean angle that I have for the R1200R. Look at it for yourself. Even with the R type bars on the RS you will not get anywhere close to what you currently have with your current R

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Just my 2 cents
Roger L
jreinhardt
Basic User

Post by jreinhardt »

Scott,
Yes, the R bar is a direct bolt on to the RS with no clearance or cabling/wiring problems. A guy on r1200rsforums.com has posted a nice write up and pictures on his conversion. His dealer did the switch when he bought the bike.

If you want to test the riding position before buying all the parts ,just go to a BMW shop and sit on a new R1200R with the high seat (not the standard R seat) and you will experience the same riding position as an RS with the R bars and the standard seat that comes with the RS.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Can you just get risers?
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
RT-Mike
Basic User