BMW Motorrad Site...Neat Thing to Do

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

BLAIR1200R
Basic User

BMW Motorrad Site...Neat Thing to Do

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Lots of discussion on 2015 models .... I found this to be a fun visual comparison of the R1200R and the R1200RS -

Go to the BMW website http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com
Click on the Motorcycles menu
Select the R1200R, then do the same for the R1200RS, but in another tab on your browser
Expand both bike images using the full pane expansion (square box with arrows pointing outward)

Now both bike images are available to view in 360 degrees. The images are positioned EXACTLY the same, so you can click back and forth between the browser tabs and see the bike features change. Make sure both bike images are oriented, within the 360 degree spin, in the same position for the best effect.

I just thought it was a cool visual to see what's different (... or not different) on the two models. When I first saw the R1200RS leaks, I thought I was going to get one, no doubt. But the more I looked at this comparison, the more I see that the RS and R are the same bike, so why would I spend the money going from my current 2012 R1200R to a 2015 R1200RS ? My bike does everything great (city/commuter bike, sporty-ish bike, tour bike....) and in my opinion, has a more interesting look.

I love the 2015's, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll spend the difference on a track bike :D

Cheers,
Rb
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: BMW Motorrad Site...Neat Thing to Do

Post by Catchina »

They are the same bike but the RS has wind protection. I'm going to test drive one when available and make up my mind then. The new engine is enticing. The fact is that most r12r owners have spent a lot of time and money discussing windshields and helmet options to cut the wind, if the RS takes care of it out of the box then upgrading my 2011 makes sense to me. I have a feeling that there will soon be many 2011-2014 R's for sale.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Catchina wrote:They are the same bike but the RS has wind protection...
The RS also has significantly lower and farther-forward handlebars. The footpegs and shifter are in the same place on both models, and have the same relationship to the seat. This continues long-time BMW practice that creates different models by small alterations to an existing platform.

For me, the new models are less attractive than the old, both because of their oh-so-current styling (Hans, we must have lots of complication and angles and intersecting joints, eh? ) and the lack of the Telelever. While the wind management on the new bikes (particularly the RS) is likely better, I'm not convinced it's better enough for me to pay big bucks to switch.

And if Motorrad really wants web traffic to stimulate interest and sales, they oughta get a faster server.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

BLAIR1200R wrote:Lots of discussion on 2015 models .... I found this to be a fun visual comparison of the R1200R and the R1200RS -

Go to the BMW website http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com
Click on the Motorcycles menu
Select the R1200R, then do the same for the R1200RS, but in another tab on your browser
Expand both bike images using the full pane expansion (square box with arrows pointing outward)

Now both bike images are available to view in 360 degrees. The images are positioned EXACTLY the same, so you can click back and forth between the browser tabs and see the bike features change. Make sure both bike images are oriented, within the 360 degree spin, in the same position for the best effect.

I just thought it was a cool visual to see what's different (... or not different) on the two models. When I first saw the R1200RS leaks, I thought I was going to get one, no doubt. But the more I looked at this comparison, the more I see that the RS and R are the same bike, so why would I spend the money going from my current 2012 R1200R to a 2015 R1200RS ? My bike does everything great (city/commuter bike, sporty-ish bike, tour bike....) and in my opinion, has a more interesting look.

I love the 2015's, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll spend the difference on a track bike :D

Cheers,
Rb
I don't think that difference is worth any money extra spent.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

It looks like the geometry is different. Too soon to say what the differences really are. A couple of test rides will tell the tale...

What will we talk about of the RS windscreen is almost perfect? That and the uncomfortable seats were some of the main topics on this board.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
SteveK
Basic User

Post by SteveK »

I think its funny its classified as a sport model (extra plastic I suppose) and the S1000R is a roadster. I would take the S1000R in a heartbeat between the two of them.
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

You can not compare the S1000R with the two other bikes...and i have to say that i like the new RS the more often i look at it.
SteveK
Basic User

Post by SteveK »

Scota wrote:You can not compare the S1000R with the two other bikes...and i have to say that i like the new RS the more often i look at it.
Never said you could. I just find it odd that BMW classifies the RS as a sport bike after basically bolting some additional plastic on it.