R1200R out of production

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

rclbaker
Basic User

R1200R out of production

Post by rclbaker »

Maybe not known for everyone, but the R1200R cannot be ordered any longer from the facory.
Apart from the Nine T this means the end of the very familiair air & oil cooled boxer set-up since year 1923 with the R32.

As far as I know stock in Europe is fairly low. In Germany second hand R´s are popular, possibly because in comparison tests the R1200R scored much better than the Nine T, especially because of the Telelever (German Das Motorrad, March 14, 2014).

Strange that BMW stops with the Telelever for the new liquid cooled R. On the other hand, BMW knows fairly well what new customers want, referring to the Nine T.

So, if you still in doubt to buy one (personal note: you will not regret...) a little bit hurry is needed to buy one.

Regards,
Rob
Antoine31
Basic User

Re: R1200R out of production

Post by Antoine31 »

I got that impression when I bought my new Dark White last month. I feel very fortunate to get that one before it was too late. BMW will probably produce a water cooled version, but I don't want or need that. Got to be heavier and more complicated. Isn't the real purpose of the WC bikes to reduce EU emissions? And the end of the Telelever? Certainly one of the best inventions in motorcycling in the last 25 years. I looked at the R9T but it seems to be a joke of some kind that I don't think is funny.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Exactly why I purchased my Dark White a few months ago, although, love the NineT.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

bummer.

hope the water cooled is cool enough to sway me...but air cooled boxers are what brought me to the Beemers many years ago..

hell, maybe it'll be a good thing. as long as complexity is outweighed by the longevity ... Id bet its more fuel efficient at least.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

As I mentioned before staying with my 2012 camhead to the end.Don't need or want watercooled one.The engine/transmission/drive system is a lot more complicated than on air/oil cooled boxers.If I would be interested in watercooled bike,Iwould look toward Japanees bikes for a lot lower price.BMW doing a big mistake eliminating the classic boxers the REAL BMW motorcycle.

BRGDS
Steve H.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

New water cooled R is fine with me, looking forward to seeing it and test drive. No telelever is not a deal breaker for me but linked brakes and ABS are a must.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Given how fast BMW went from the Concept 90 to delivering the RNineT, I think the Concept Roadster will be out soon to replace our boxer twin R bikes. Given what I know of the water boxer I would not mind having one, but am a little sad it won't be in the 1200R configuration I currently have.

Have to say, the new bike looks really cool to me. I like it better than the retro version that is currently selling so well.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/04/bm ... n-cameron/
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Thank you Don E. and Lost Rider!!

I learned a lot from you both.Re.R1200R maintenance=longevity.Thank you guys!!! I assume the R1200R lifespan is undeffinied.That whot I suspect of these bikes.If I want to keep this bike for longer period of time-witch is definetly right.When my R12R going to got "heavy"for me I'll switch witth my son's F800R a lot lighter bike for old bones.I have had opportunity to drive that bike few times and it is amasingly light and nimble.Curves?Just fly in put it down and fly through those curves.F800R easely doing that.It is playing with curves.But...R1200R I am weird for.I just love my bike.

Thank you for reading my BS..es but I tried to be max honest with you guys.
stephenmarklay
Basic User

Post by stephenmarklay »

I kind of hope it does not look like the prototype bike. The R1200R is a nice do all type of bike now and that looks like an S1000R with a boxer kind of bike.
The R1200R is not a big seller so who knows what they are thinking. I can say that the new water boxer is an extremely nice motor and any bike that uses it has a high probability of being a really nice bike.

Whew got my first post jitters out of the way :)
2007 R1200R
2014 F800GS
2011 TW200
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

I took a GS wasser boxer out for a few hours about a month ago and absolutely loved it.
Very comfortable seat. Geared more like a car in my opinion than a bike and absolutely buckets of torque compared to my R.

However it's not £9,000 better than my R so I kinda think I'll be staying where I am for now.

This news makes me think about keeping it as an investment as well (modern classic in the making). :D
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!