Last gen hex head vs. the new water boxer

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Last gen hex head vs. the new water boxer

Post by lcarlson »

I took a new water-cooled R1200GS out for a test ride before winter set in, and was frankly a little put off, at least initially. It felt strong, but the vibration level seemed surprisingly high, and somehow I just didn't really care for it at first. After about 45 minutes, I began to appreciate it more, and maybe I'd eventually love it, but my recollection of riding a loaner R1200R was was that I liked that motor better, power notwithstanding. I wonder what others have concluded in comparing these motors. Full disclosure: I still have an R1150R which I still like a lot, although I found the hexhead R1200R motor to be a little nicer in most ways. Just wondering, especially since the new R nine T will use the older motor.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Steve H.
Basic User

Re: Last gen hex head vs. the new water boxer

Post by Steve H. »

My opinion is,The hexhead/camhead is the "last of the mohikans".Beginning in 1923 boxer engine+dry clutch+transmission+drive shaft+final drive.A 90 years of tradition.Today's competition forses BMW to go for changes,maybe going to keep one type as a"classic concept.Who knows?But it is hard to believe.Boxer beemer got in to my heart in 1973(I was 16 years old) have had a chance to drive an R60 abouth 20 mls only.Love on first sight.Todays R12R I own,is a fallow up of 1973 event in my life.
Very honestly,I do not like waterhead overall concept.But,probably I am aconservative person.It is a lot stronger,but I don't care.It is not my Beemer boxer anymore.Sorry,but I can not explain myself better.I like classic boxers.

Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

The oldest BMW I ever drive was an 1950 or 1951 R25 single cylinder 250 cc,12HP.I have had chance to drive it for 2-3 hrs only.That happened in 1970(Iwas 13 years old).I yust loved the engine wibration compared to two cycle bikes"smootness" and liked wery much its idling...puf-puf-puf.That time,the bike was 7years older than me.After driving it it was wery hard for my heart to give it back to it's owner.The simplecity of that bike is amasing,that's why it was durable and wery good.

Steve H.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I believe BMW may plan on offering other than a classic "Roadster" with the new water cooled engine. It appears they want to appeal to a younger demographic (as the R-nine-T does) that values form over function.. ie - more cafe' racer like styling. Scuttlebutt is - there won't be a simple classic roadster offered with the new engine.

If I needed to buy a bike today, it would be the current R1200R - again. The engine is well sorted out. The vibration that the 1150 motor had is greatly reduced by the counter-rotating balance shaft in the engine. Maintenance is easy and there is a strong base of enthusiasts who have mostly been-there-done-that on any project you might want to do on it. There is also a lot of aftermarket support already available for the R12R.

Plus - the function of the R1200R suits be perfectly. Putting me on a cafe' racer style bike, aside from it being painful for me to ride and useless for touring - is like putting teats on a bull - it would look similarly awkward.

If you're thinking of upgrading your R1150R to something newer - and want to buy one of the last classic mostly air-cooled boxers as a roadster new, the chance is now. I'd guess in a year that option won't be available.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

My thoughts exactly, Don. My hexhead is the best bike ever, and I'm keeping it. I will probably wear out and come to a standstill before it does!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I'm still hopeful we will see the water cooled engine on a r12r, maybe next year.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

I've got to believe that BMW will eventually migrate the water cooled motor to all of its R bikes (with the likely exception of the R Nine T, assuming that remains a limited production model). And it seems unlikely that they would abandon the classic naked roadster after all these years, though only time will tell. Integrating the radiator(s) will be a challenge (the type of shrouds that look ok on the "eclectically" styled GS wouldn't really cut it on a well-styled roadster). Anyway, it's going to be interesting to se what they do....
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

You might also want to think about whether Telelever is important to you or not. Assuming some of the spy shots that have been taken are accurate, it seems the current R1200R will be the last naked BMW roadster to have it.

http://www.motorradonline.de/news/erlko ... xer/517100

Could be for a combination of reasons. I assume it's too difficult to have both telelever as well as a larger radiator for the water-cooled engine. Why not use the Duolever "forks" of the water-cooled K1300R instead? Cost might also be an issue; maybe BMW wants R bikes to be a bit more competitive price-wise with other open-class naked bikes like the Monster 1200 and the Speed Triple. New entrants to the BMW brand might be more comfortable with the feel of traditional forks as well.

I'm still pretty happy with my 10-year old Rockster. Once that is irreparable, I guess an R1200R will be my best bet (I really like Telelever).
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I'll stay with my love,R12R.
I don't need any other bike after her.If she dies,I will be without a bike for rest of my life.If I die,she stays for my son or grandsons.Never ever going to sell this bike.

Brgrds,Steve H.
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Steve H. wrote:I'll stay with my love,R12R.
I don't need any other bike after her.If she dies,I will be without a bike for rest of my life.If I die,she stays for my son or grandsons.Never ever going to sell this bike.

Brgrds,Steve H.
I stupidly sold my '07. This is how I feel about my "11.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

The oil level sight glass and the filler cap are both on the right side, which is good. However, the location of the oil filter right over the left exhaust header is not so good.
Under the engine is best for ease of access, avoiding the hot pipes, and using longer filters.
The hot exhaust pipe is on the right side. This is a much better place for it. Kudos!
Not a fan of the delayed feeling of fly-by-wire throttle, but having electronic cruise control may soften the pain.
Slipper wet clutch supposedly helps control wheel skip when gearing down the Boxer, but I have never had the rear skip or slide very far,
unless I botched my rev matching, or got greedy and snicked down two gears at once. Never had a problem down shifting one gear at a time.
Like my big dry clutch! A wet one is perhaps cheaper, quicker and easier to change out. So what! A dry disc lasts 75,000 miles!
I do not really need any extra power. Sure, it's nice to have more low end torque, but the smoothness and quiet of the LC engine is nice.
The dynamic suspension combined with ASC, ABS, lean sensors, gear & engine sensors have made the S1000RR much less prone to crashing.
BMW MINIs are getting dynamic sus. too. Whether we like it or not, this trend will continue in BMW's line of street touring motorcycles. IMO
I do NOT like the idea of my oil & air-cooled DOHC engine changing to liquid cooling.
BMW calls it Unstoppable. Noise and emission requirements being what they are, maybe a LC_Boxer was simply... Unavoidable.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I for one like the evolutionary changes, with a few caveats. The water cooled boxer engine is a great idea, more effecient cooling provides more power, better combustion and I would presume better emissions. The majority of the engine remains air cooled. Wet clutch, can not comment more than saying I've had great luck with them in the past and never had any issues. The double overhead cam, also cant complain, easy to check clearance's, seldom need adjustment. My concerns are two things really; fly by wire, not sure Im comfortable with that technology yet (I thought a fuel gauge would have been simple), cables can break but spares can be carried and replaced in the rain on the side of the road if necessary. No telalever suspension I feel is a step backwards in technology, I value the handling of my R1200r above all others that I've had and atribute that mostly to the telalever front end.

I hope they keep the roadster, mine has been a very good mix of back road quick turning fun and cross country touring comfort.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I'm an R1150R owner. Not been keen on the hex head R1200R because of the ugly low mounted radiator. At first glance I like the looks of the new R1200R LC .
The new R1200R LC has a much more pleasing (to me ) high mounted radiator. I like the looks of the vertical intakes but and not sure about the exhaust pipes going straight down. I do wonder about heat going back up into the motor when stationary rather than convecting away as with horizontal exhausts. I guess the water cooling copes with that.
What is the net result for maximum angle of lean and centre of gravity I wonder? A whole new bike, just retaining the boxer layout, rather than another step in the evolution. Must be a rational packaging reason to move the final drive to the other side. I think we can guess the reason for the different transmission with the wet clutch.
But will I sell my R1150R for an R1200 LC? Hmmm.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

I think the net result will be an evolution, as others have commented the difference in advancement from the r1150r to the r1200r is comparable to the r1200r to the LC. I'm looking forward to a test ride when my dealer gets one.. Haven't seen it in person yet?
Member #1
Paul-from-VA
Lifer

Post by Paul-from-VA »

My dealer has a demo and I'm going to go over next week for a ride. Went to look at the RS yesterday but it was too wet to ride the R. The RS was the gray color and I was a bit disappointed, guess I don't think they can do any better than the original 70's RS.
Paul
sandycruz
Basic User

Post by sandycruz »

Whatever you do DON'T test ride the new LC roadster. I did and here is what I found:
1. The engine makes way more seat of the pants power and torque. Acceleration was noticeably greater than my 2007 R.
2. Clutch and throttle manipulations are more precise and take way less effort.
3. Turn-in is faster more precise and the steering is more "think about it and it happens".
4. I kept thinking "Wow, I could get in trouble with this bike, or at least a few tickets.
5. Yes, the front end dives on hard breaking.
6. The instrument panel will take some getting acquainted time.
7. I felt the same "wow this bike is so easy to ride" as I felt the first time I rode a 2007 roadster. Came from a R1100S.
8. The exhaust note is so incredibly sweet, louder than my 2007, but not by a lot, just right. What you hear is the exhaust note above all mostly because the engine is so quiet.
9. Yes this is a much more technologically complex bike: Wet clutch, water cooling etc. More to go wrong. But the complete package is so easy to ride; yup its a major improvement.
10. Danger - Danger Checkbook damage ahead!
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
grin factor
Basic User

Post by grin factor »

Have to agree with sandy there. had a test ride on the new LC a couple of weeks ago and its an amazing piece of kit. Didn't do any deals as weather changing now, but come spring time, its a very strong possibility.