Where to get Decals other than OEM

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

lpnb12

Where to get Decals other than OEM

Post by lpnb12 »

Hi all,

does anyone know where to replacement decal sets? Specifically for the Rockster to match OEM. The BMW ones are very pricey.

Otherwise I think I can get vinyl colour-matched from a place like this:https://www.colorxlabs.com/products/col ... aint-color

but of course I'll have to custom cut it and that brings me to other options.....

does anybody know of some templates site so I can then get them cut on a vinyl cutter.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Where to get Decals other than OEM

Post by sweatmark »

Good questions. I don't recall anyone having replicated the OE graphics or produced a pattern.

Removing Rockster tank stickers was in vogue for a while, but I like the iconic stripes - which are semi-vertical and thus slimming!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

sweatmark wrote: but I like the iconic stripes -
Me too. I was looking at a used Rockster without the stripes at my dealer in 2006 and I didn't like the look at all. I priced the decals back then and thought the price was reasonable......I'm sure those decals will get harder to find as the years go by. :-k
Buckster '03R
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

I repainted mine using the same scheme but I’ve altered the colours. I went over the top of the existing colour blocks and just replaced the ‘r1150r’ decals. They were exact copies although I requested them in bright red to go with my scheme. I have a spare set in a two colour set which was slightly different as they were very cheap so I could choose which I fancied at the time. Cant post pics on here as this must be the worst forum for posting that but riceburner posted some on my behalf a few months back.
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

I actually Like them too and want to replicate them. On the tank anyway. though I have some ideas about changing the rear design. thin it up a bit.

The Dealer quoted some sick price for them like I dunno 700 + for all of them.

Thanks Tigcraft, I'll see if I can find the pics.
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

My Frontend - Let there be light.

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

What are those lights? Especially the thin strip under the main lights? How did you mount them and what is the beam pattern from them?

I don't believe using lights for 'conspicuity' helps, but I do want to have good full-beam lights so always on the lookout for lights that have a good spread pattern and intensity. (I wire my auxiliary lights in with the full-beam).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

I agree....no not for 'conspicuousness' (LOL)

Cant have enough light at night! right?! esp riding at night in Australia with the our two legged bouncing wildlife that tend to be invisible and jump out at the last minute. My night vision not as good as it was also.
left one is Aurora brand flood beam, Right is a spot beam and the middle one is just a cheap eBay one that is surprisingly good and is also fairly floody. That one is permanently wired to High beam.

I screwed it to the plastic housing. its very light weight and also has some big flat washers with rubber to eliminate the possibility of cracking.

The Other ones are on some custom ally brackets screwed to the frame.

Also LED H7's that are very good.

Sooo much better and more relaxing at night.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Would you have a link to the middle one? It looks like a nice neat solution.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

Tigcraft wrote:I repainted mine using the same scheme but I’ve altered the colours. I went over the top of the existing colour blocks and just replaced the ‘r1150r’ decals. They were exact copies although I requested them in bright red to go with my scheme. I have a spare set in a two colour set which was slightly different as they were very cheap so I could choose which I fancied at the time. Cant post pics on here as this must be the worst forum for posting that but riceburner posted some on my behalf a few months back.
I wonder if they would go with the bronze?? hmm.
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/7dw6KzcLD

it wont blow your mind but its decent
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

lpnb12 wrote:https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/7dw6KzcLD

it wont blow your mind but its decent
Cheers - I'll check it out.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

lpnb12 wrote:I actually Like them too and want to replicate them. On the tank anyway. though I have some ideas about changing the rear design. thin it up a bit.

The Dealer quoted some sick price for them like I dunno 700 + for all of them.

Thanks Tigcraft, I'll see if I can find the pics.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THE DECAL AMENDMENTS???? :D
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

I'm leaning towards removal of the rear graphics. There's a YouTube Rockster thusly modified, and repeated viewings have had hypnotic effect.

There's plenty of "visual interest" with just the front half and iconic Rockster cap. Rear side panels would be good spot for bike model designation, like on K bikes.
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

Oh yeah nice idea!

do you have a link to said video?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbfrbQY8p8

Note the blacked out Rockster cap and oil cooler covers. I'm undecided about the covers but will keep my green Rockster cap, pre-crashed & scratched, with waterproof Band-Aid I applied on purchase day. My right side oil cooler cover is also scratched, along with a tank ding... adds character.
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

I think aftermarket will be a problem with these but I would say it's possible, I had this one made up special from phone pics and gave them some scaling dims but what you need to do looks, to me, to be significantly harder to do that way...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

sweatmark wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbfrbQY8p8

Note the blacked out Rockster cap and oil cooler covers. I'm undecided about the covers but will keep my green Rockster cap, pre-crashed & scratched, with waterproof Band-Aid I applied on purchase day. My right side oil cooler cover is also scratched, along with a tank ding... adds character.
hmm yeah must say not a fan of the black covers, love the original oil cooler covers.

can't decide about the "hat" either. I was considering black for mine. but can do that any time.

I think I might just trace my decals using tracing paper, scan them in and do a slight re-design. then either order color matched vinyl or order paint and spray myself.

I going to to gloss, Not a fan of the matte....looks great new but gloss also looks great and so much easier to clean.