Rockster Headlights

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Wildy
Basic User

Rockster Headlights

Post by Wildy »

Hi Guys

Is it standard that the rockster headlights have lots of movement, mine seem to shake about a lot, just wondered if I just need to tighten them up?
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rockster Headlights

Post by riceburner »

Yes. No.
If you look at the mounting points, they're actually not bolted to anything but are held on rubber isolation blocks. So yes, they shake about. Doesn't really affect their night-time performance though.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Wildy
Basic User

Post by Wildy »

ok thanks
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Disassemble the front end:
Remove Rockster "cap", pull straight up at each of 3 corners.
Remove top and bottom headlight shell, just a couple of fasteners.
Detach headlight - remove the 2 screws mentioned above... you can leave wires connected.
Inspect the 2 flexible inserts that the headlight fasteners screw into. If those parts are damaged, or the fasteners were not originally tight, then excess headlight bounce could happen.

But I'm guessing you're bike is ok... the Rockster headlight does move - a lot more than expected - but the module is also visible to rider from rear, unlike other bikes.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

Not much movement in this forum is there? Well add my two cents worth.

I didn't like the way mind bounced around either so what I found was a couple of judiciously placed cable ties around the rubber grommets dramatically reduce the movement although I didn't do them too tight so I still had some adjustment possible. Actually I may have only put one cable tie on the top right hand corner. Just make sure there are adjusted right before you do that.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

lpnb12 wrote:Not much movement in this forum is there? Well add my two cents worth.

I didn't like the way mind bounced around either so what I found was a couple of judiciously placed cable ties around the rubber grommets dramatically reduce the movement although I didn't do them too tight so I still had some adjustment possible. Actually I may have only put one cable tie on the top right hand corner. Just make sure there are adjusted right before you do that.

Not a huge number of Rocksters around. :) (sadly).

Got any photos?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

riceburner wrote:
lpnb12 wrote:Not much movement in this forum is there? Well add my two cents worth.

Not a huge number of Rocksters around. :) (sadly).

Got any photos?
sorry no but i will next time i have covers off.... which is oon probably for testing a diy improved heatsink LED bulb. :-}
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

I wrapped the little white plastic ball-joint receptacle that is screwed to the bottom of the light housing that is for the large adjuster. mine was quite loose. you might have to experiment with how much tape. I used fabric loom tape but im sure electrical tape will be fine.

Also the top left adjuster had a lot of play, looped a cable tie around that adjuster....just make sure you are close to being adjusted correctly cause it will limit movement.

and here's my very custom LED conversion. the threaded heat-sink is custom made. retains some level of factory sealing with the original cap. should extract enough heat to keep it cool. its a modified one from Aliexpress. Its has quite good light output.

ImageImageImage