r1150r rockster 2005 engine noise

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

2cv6club
Basic User

r1150r rockster 2005 engine noise

Post by 2cv6club »

Hello to everyone out there and wish you a many miles and kilometers easy riding.
I become a owner rockster year 2005. Unfortunately I have an issue with clank sound ( please listen sound on link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVEtP4IFQU ). Valve clearance OK on both side, left chain tensioner is upgraded model 15 mm head, oil pressure OK, no leaking, clanck sound is increasing after 1800 RPM. Before I disassembly engine to find source of that noise, is there anyone had a issue with new type tensioner for a failure? Or if someone has idea what else to check? It is horrible sound like someone do hammering inside engine. Rockster has 97 K on it. Thank you, and best regards.
Now: BMW r1150r rockster
Before: Suzuki GSR600
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: r1150r rockster 2005 engine noise

Post by riceburner »

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound good. :(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: r1150r rockster 2005 engine noise

Post by Tigcraft »

I can’t put my finger on it so I think it’s a full strip down.
2cv6club
Basic User

Re: r1150r rockster 2005 engine noise - update

Post by 2cv6club »

Thank you all for participating in topic. I done first issue in cylinder head valve pushrod 3 of 4 are defect. Second issue is bigger, freeplay is on connecting rod at crankshaft end point that is source of engine noise. Right hand cylinder connection rod need to be replaced, all bearing on crankshaft as well. Crankshaft is subject of inspection with micrometer to check journal wear, it is small chances for not replacing crankshaft it self, but "hope dies last" :-) This is the link to check and help other people https://youtu.be/nTvgWmrrfOI . it is pity for previous owner avoid taking a care for this type of engine, because it is long lasting and require regular interval oil change and pay attention for overheating.
Now: BMW r1150r rockster
Before: Suzuki GSR600