Not Starting

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ganipganek
Basic User

Not Starting

Post by ganipganek »

I purchased an 04' R1150R Rockster last fall. Bike ran great, garaged it for the winter (Heated garage). I had a trickle charger on the battery all winter plus, started the bike up periodically throughout the winter. I Started the bike and rode it home. The next day the bike would not start.
The bike turns over and almost starts. It seems like it's out of gas, but I have fresh gas in the tank.

I can hear the fuel pump operating.
I have spark (replaced the right hand stick coil, as it was bad). All plugs have good spark.
I have removed the injectors and they are pumping out gas.
New battery.
New air Filter.
No blown fuses.
Wired a by-pass on the side stand kill switch, so the switch sends a signal to the computer that the stand is always up. I though the kill switch may have gone bad telling the bike to not start, so I ran a by-pass. Still, no luck.

What next?
What am I missing?
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Not Starting

Post by riceburner »

Check the throttle cables are seated properly on the throttle bodies
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

Its should have done at least something even if it’s a pop or a bang. I would possibly try a ‘sniff’ of easy start ether based down the air intake before we go any further.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

One of the fuel injector electrical connectors is not fully seated, or otherwise disconnected. Edit 6/2/19 : Wrong - not if you are starting and riding the bike as described below.

2nd guessing - battery as suggested by James, or wiring fault at forward subframe.
Last edited by sweatmark on Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
ganipganek
Basic User

Post by ganipganek »

Tigcraft wrote:Its should have done at least something even if it’s a pop or a bang. I would possibly try a ‘sniff’ of easy start ether based down the air intake before we go any further.

Tigcraft,
I did spray a small amount of starter fluid into the intake and it worked. I ran the bike for the weekend, starting the bike multiple times with no problem. Rode the bike to work Monday and it left me stranded when it was time to go home. The same problem-turns over, almost starts, but just doesn't quite get there. It's like it's out of gas. This time the ether didn't do the job.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

ganipganek wrote:
Tigcraft wrote:Its should have done at least something even if it’s a pop or a bang. I would possibly try a ‘sniff’ of easy start ether based down the air intake before we go any further.

Tigcraft,
I did spray a small amount of starter fluid into the intake and it worked. I ran the bike for the weekend, starting the bike multiple times with no problem. Rode the bike to work Monday and it left me stranded when it was time to go home. The same problem-turns over, almost starts, but just doesn't quite get there. It's like it's out of gas. This time the ether didn't do the job.
That might actually be a failing battery
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
ganipganek
Basic User

Post by ganipganek »

riceburner wrote:
ganipganek wrote:

Tigcraft,
That might actually be a failing battery

Tigcraft,
New battery installed.
It is an intermittent problem. I charged the battery, sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the air intake and it started on the second attempt.
What changed from yesterday to today?
Full charge on battery. I had the bike towed from the garage, where it died, home. Moving the bike did something?
Loose wire bouncing around?,
Sticking fuel pump is jostled free?
With the bike running I wiggled on all the wires I could reach to see if there was a negative effect. Nothing.

When the bike starts, it runs great.
ganipganek
Basic User

Post by ganipganek »

riceburner wrote:Check the throttle cables are seated properly on the throttle bodies

All fine on the throttle bodies.
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

It’s really a strange situation. Without the bike in front of me I really am stumped. Anything else to report this last week?
ganipganek
Basic User

Post by ganipganek »

Tigcraft wrote:It’s really a strange situation. Without the bike in front of me I really am stumped. Anything else to report this last week?
So, now it's running. I rode it to and from work all week and logged about 100 miles Sunday, with no problems.
I have not found the culprit. Thought it may be an electrical problem, but have yet to locate any issues.

Today is a new day and a new problem. Now the bike is backfiring and running like crap and died twice on the way home from work - 2 mile ride.

WTF!

Backfiring? Is that plugs, timing issue, both? Or is this an electrical problem- some computerized timing sensor poo?

I'm about ready to introduce this german P.O.S. to a good old American Colt 1911 .45!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Get the bike running on the centre-stand, then turn the steering back and forth.

If it cuts out then you've most likely got broken wiring in the cable looms that run past the steering head. Common issue.
You can actually replace the ignition switch wiring loom without replacing the ignition switch.

It's one of those faults that only shows up under very specific conditions - riding along and you turn the steering JUST enough to cause the wiring in the break to part and the bike will cut out. At all other times the wiring is pushed together just enough to make it work.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

Well explained riceburner