I'm Baaaaaaa-aack!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

I'm Baaaaaaa-aack!

Post by riceburner »

:D :D :D

Meet Rockster4, name of Elmer, just found last week on ebay and picked up this afternoon for the princely sum of £2400. :D

Some minor niggles:
The rocker-covers are weeping - obviously the previous owner "who did his own servicing" didn't know how to reseat the seals properly. Easily fixed, I'll be going in there soon to check things over and do a major service to my own standards.

The factory cable ties!!
ImageImage
FIRST thing I did - cut the damn things off! We'll see how long it lasts (fingers crossed)!

Standard crappy brake line fittings: will replace with my usual parallel lines soon enough!
The brakes are also binding ever so slightly, which will be the cheap Tokico callipers. I'm going to budget for some Brembo replacements (2nd hand natch), and replace almost the entire front system.

Something I've not experienced before - when you fire the bike up, it ticks over nicely - but I can hear the fuel pump constantly running, and running harder when I rev the bike. Would I be right in thinking there's a leak in the high pressure system? I assume this is in the tank, as there's no fuel running out of the system visibly. I need to replace the fuel filter anyway, so I'll be going in there soon.

I'm also very open to swapping the low seat for a standard or high option if anyone in the UK wants to do a swap?

Other than the above - it seems to be in very good nick for a 16 year old bike with 46,810 miles on it. I'm pretty damned sure that there's another 100,000 in there, if not more. ;) :D

oh yeah - anyone want a good condition K1200R?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: I'm Baaaaaaa-aack!

Post by sweatmark »

Looks good! UK bike? Does not look like it's seen much winter weather.

I took your advice a few years ago and bought Brembo-version calipers that need rebuild, then replace Tokicos on my Rockster2.

Congrats on the new bike.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

.....and the same color too! Congrats!
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Looks good! UK bike? Does not look like it's seen much winter weather.

I took your advice a few years ago and bought Brembo-version calipers that need rebuild, then replace Tokicos on my Rockster2.

Congrats on the new bike.
Yeah - I'm going to do the same on this one, a set of parallel lines and all the bits will be around £100, and used calipers are something like £80 each from Motorworks, but it's worth it for 2-finger stoppies. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Buckster wrote:.....and the same color too! Congrats!

Cheers! - yeah - I much prefer the bronze to the washed out green.

I reckon the green would have sold much better if it had been a vibrant metallic colour.

BTW - has anyone heard of that issue I mentioned with the fuel pump? I've tried searching the forum but haven't come across anything yet.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote: ... I reckon the green would have sold much better if it had been a vibrant metallic colour.

BTW - has anyone heard of that issue I mentioned with the fuel pump? ...
Agreed. My Rockster2 is green, and - despite BMW's attempt to make the Rockster urbane edgy - I'm not sure Citrus Metallic fits the bike's design brief. Might have to work on that problem.

And you're probably right about a potential inside-tank problem causing abnormal fuel pump noise. Hose, or pump? No doubt there's some info out there on UK GS or ADV or BMWMOA.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'm sure i read something about a similar fuel pump issue, but can't remember when or where.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

Any of you lot fancy taking a picture for me underneath the rear poo guard at the far back where the fixings are by the number plate? Ive had mine in bits down to the bare frame for a bit of 'tweeking' but a bit confused over some bolt orders as one of the previous owner chopped the guard short and its been in bits before.

On another note @ Riceburner, I cant hear the fuel pump operating on mine so obviously yours has possibly a fault. Re- Seat, where in the UK are you?

On a third note, @sweatmark, mine was poo citrus green until this week as it had to go and Ive painted it 'Ice blue' over black metallic. Ive absolutely hated the green from day one as its just not thought through from BMW and clashes with the blue grey frame colour. My options were either paint the frame and rocker covers satin green grey to balance and compliment the colour which would have been a massive job or do the tankset instead. So tankset won. It took me a long time to plan the colours as I really fancied the copper/orange over black but I thought Ill do another colour combination that would still be recognised as a Rockster. Pics to follow if I can work out how to do it.....
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Tigcraft wrote:Any of you lot fancy taking a picture for me underneath the rear ----- guard at the far back where the fixings are by the number plate? Ive had mine in bits down to the bare frame for a bit of 'tweeking' but a bit confused over some bolt orders as one of the previous owner chopped the guard short and its been in bits before.

On another note @ Riceburner, I cant hear the fuel pump operating on mine so obviously yours has possibly a fault. Re- Seat, where in the UK are you?

On a third note, @sweatmark, mine was ----- citrus green until this week as it had to go and Ive painted it 'Ice blue' over black metallic. Ive absolutely hated the green from day one as its just not thought through from BMW and clashes with the blue grey frame colour. My options were either paint the frame and rocker covers satin green grey to balance and compliment the colour which would have been a massive job or do the tankset instead. So tankset won. It took me a long time to plan the colours as I really fancied the copper/orange over black but I thought Ill do another colour combination that would still be recognised as a Rockster. Pics to follow if I can work out how to do it.....
Easiest way to do pics is to use an external hosting site. Would love to see the photos, sounds like a good scheme.

I read something about the fuel filter being choked up will cause the pump to over work, so a full service including fuel filter is on the list.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'm hoping that this is the root cause.....
http://boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... mp#p194855
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

Interesting find...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Tigcraft wrote: ... On a third note, @sweatmark, mine was ----- citrus green until this week as it had to go and Ive painted it 'Ice blue' over black metallic....
Yes, please post some pics. For my bike, I'm thinking about fluorescent/neon green as befitting a "wanna-be edgy & urban" BMW.

James - thanks for the link. So, fuel pump cavitation from filter restriction? Sounds plausible.
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

@ sweatmark , some other forums are easy to post pictures for me as I use an iPhone but I can’t find how to do it on here and it’s just headache to use some other vessel to do it through. If your on WhatsApp then pm me and leave me a phone number as I can forward some pics and you can post them for me for all the view? I will tell you before hand that the wheels are still to blast and paint but you can get an idea from the tank set to how it’s going. Eric
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
Tigcraft wrote: ... On a third note, @sweatmark, mine was ----- citrus green until this week as it had to go and Ive painted it 'Ice blue' over black metallic....
Yes, please post some pics. For my bike, I'm thinking about fluorescent/neon green as befitting a "wanna-be edgy & urban" BMW.

James - thanks for the link. So, fuel pump cavitation from filter restriction? Sounds plausible.

Will find out tomorrow, service pack from Motorworks turned up today. First job is tank off and fuel pump out. If the new filter lets the pump work properly , I'll cut the old filter open and take photos.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Well - that might explain it.....
I've no idea of the previous service history, but pretty sure the pump's not been removed for a long while....
Hopefully the new one will help.

(despite being over 2 years old)

Doesn't look like it's been running brilliantly recently - possibly due to the fuel filter?

Air filter didn't look to bad.

Fuel filter internals (as promised)

Actually - I don't think the bike's been serviced for a while - I had to prise the rocker cover seals off and the inner seals are so dry I think that was why there was an oil weep in the plug tunnels.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

What’s the verdict on the fuel filter? Just old or clogged?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Tigcraft wrote:What’s the verdict on the fuel filter? Just old or clogged?
Well - it looked pretty clogged to me.

Just waiting for a new filler-neck seal to arrive before I reassemble everything and see if the fuel pump is any better - but I think this will be the main issue.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Bloody annoyed with myself today.

this morning I thought I'd try to get the exhausts off and see about painting them (with hi-temp matt black exhaust paint, obvs). I'd put some ACF-50, which is supposed to be a penetrating fluid, onto the studs 2 days ago.

Of course I managed to snap the 2nd stud I tried. GAH!! Well - the consolation is that it looks like the holding ring is so rusted to the stud it won't make any difference for the foreseeable.

grumble grumble mutter mutter.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

riceburner wrote:Bloody annoyed with myself today.

this morning I thought I'd try to get the exhausts off and see about painting them (with hi-temp matt black exhaust paint, obvs). I'd put some ACF-50, which is supposed to be a penetrating fluid, onto the studs 2 days ago.

Of course I managed to snap the 2nd stud I tried. GAH!! Well - the consolation is that it looks like the holding ring is so rusted to the stud it won't make any difference for the foreseeable.

Do you have access to a mig? Burn them out
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Tigcraft wrote:
riceburner wrote:Bloody annoyed with myself today.

Do you have access to a mig? Burn them out
Not immediately.

I'll sort it out later.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life