Miles To The Tank

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Guitarmike
Basic User

Miles To The Tank

Post by Guitarmike »

How many miles to the tank are you guys getting?When does your low fuel light come on?
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Miles To The Tank

Post by sykospain »

45 to 55 mpg, depending on how I ride.
So it's roughly between 160 and 220 miles from ram-jam full to the point where the tank's reserve light comes on.
Here in Spain, when favouring non-autovía roads, it's possible to have a minor nervous stress attack when you realise that the low-level lamp's been on for over fifteen minutes and there's not a single sole sign of a gasolinera anywhere in sight.
And the heart rate jumps when you see one coming up and then when you get there, you see that it's "la hora de comida" and he's closed. Don't ask....

Moral of the story - don't push your luck when thinking about refuelling, or you'll end up pushing the bike.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

sykospain wrote:45 to 55 mpg, depending on how I ride.
So it's roughly between 160 and 220 miles from ram-jam full to the point where the tank's reserve light comes on.
Here in Spain, when favouring non-autovía roads, it's possible to have a minor nervous stress attack when you realise that the low-level lamp's been on for over fifteen minutes and there's not a single sole sign of a gasolinera anywhere in sight.
And the heart rate jumps when you see one coming up and then when you get there, you see that it's "la hora de comida" and he's closed. Don't ask....

Moral of the story - don't push your luck when thinking about refuelling, or you'll end up pushing the bike.

I get 180/210+ depending on wind and speed but my tank is modified w/holes in the filler neck. When the lite comes on and the next fuel is in doubt I go to "econ mode" as in slow to 1/3 throttle or less. (increases the mileage 3 or 4 mpg.)

Always when trecking I carry a 2 ltr bottle of fuel in the right side case. Been there done that but it wasn't lunch/dinner it was out of business!
2 ltr got me to the next station!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

I've never been able to get better than 44 mpg,but then I live in the mountains of North GA and do very little steady state riding.What's the purpose of drilling holes in the filler neck,to fill the tank higher?What kind of 2 litre bottle do you use?I had a 1999 VTR Superhawk for a while,they are carbureted,don't have a petcock and the low fuel light didn't work.Until I figured out how far I could go,I carried a water bottle full of fuel under the seat but was always afraid of having it there.
kirby

Post by kirby »

The filler neck tube is to keep an air pocket in the top of the tank (mostly). If you drill holes (I have 3 1/4" about 1/2' or so from the top of the filler and it allows you to use more of the tank capacity by cutting the air pocket to a min. But... if you do this and fill to the top of the neck (on the center stand) and leave the machine in the sun for a couple of min the tank will start to vent fuel due to expansion, that is what the filler tube is supposed to prevent.
It will allow about 3/10s (to 5.6/5.7 gals to be loaded depending how close to the top of the tube you drill the holes. A little extra range.

I only fill past the holes for a gas and go stop, if you need some time before riding you can brake the cap and let it vent there.(use the key and just unlock so will vent ).

The 2 ltr bottle I obtained from wunderlich and is made for that purpose. (Its a bit of a pain to refill without a funnel but beats sitting on the side of the road due to a miscalculation on range). I suppose you could "do your own", much cheaper as wunderlitch is $$$$ on most stuff although generally good quality. It would need some thought and a water bottle would not be a good choice.(IMHO)

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

I only used a water bottle until I knew how far I could go on a full tank,then I quit carrying it.I found this: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Prod ... gL6-vD_BwE
looks like it would fit easily in a saddle bag.
kirby

Post by kirby »

OK that one is only 1000 ml and the item shown 90828100 is 2000 ml which is like the one that wunderlich sells for about twice the price as I recall.
Either will fit nicely in either rockster side case, I put mine in the right side on its side in a ziplock bag.

IMHO you need at least 2000ml (little over 2 lt (1/2 gal+ us) for a range extender on a 1150 bmw. With a little eccon riding that should get you 20+ miles (2ltr). The 1 lt is not enough.
FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:IMHO you need at least 2000ml (little over 2 lt (1/2 gal+ us) for a range extender on a 1150 bmw. With a little eccon riding that should get you 20+ miles (2ltr). The 1 lt is not enough.
FWIW
Mike, those are words of wisdom.
I carried a liter metal fuel bottle in the past but this year started packing 1gallin Rotopax. Needed it last month during Denver trip, in the desert of eastern Oregon. Should have filled up before leaving civilization but thought I was good until known gas stop. But gas stop was closed, and too much WFO throttle reduced MPG. That extra gallon saved me.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Maitre
Basic User

Post by Maitre »

I'm in Houston, so lots of traffic. Abt 42-44. Always refill at 150 miles.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I used to have the drilled holes in the neck, but I ride it like I stole it so the fuel light would come on anywhere between 145-160 miles. Then you've got about 45 miles to "empty".

Then there's about 0.5litres in the left side of the tank which will get you a bit further if you can get it over into the right side. (Lay the bike onto it's right side, then lean it over so the bars touch the ground, then slowly lift it back vertical, and do NOT let in lean to the left before riding off.)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life