1200 injector upgrade fo the rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

1200 injector upgrade fo the rockster

Post by kirby »

Well I have been on two long journeys since installing the 1200 injectors. One a 6000 mile trip to the east coast and back to CA and then to the MOA rally in Des Moines IA. (4000 miles+)

I'm thinking its a worth while mod. After 10,000 miles they have steadily improved in both hot and cold operation (engine temp) and the mileage is improved over the 1150 stock ones. The throttle response seems a bit better and the idle is smoother. A couple of times on the interstate I recorded about 50 mpg at 80 to 85 mph between fill ups to a known quantity. They seem to average about 44/45 over all in normal street ops.

I'm running no cat w/staintune exhaust w/oxygen sensor.

Not recommending just say'n

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: 1200 injector upgrade fo the rockster

Post by riceburner »

Is it just the injectors you changed? (I haven't seen the thread), or did you swap the pressure regulator too? I've seen an 1150GS with an 1150RT pressure regulator (0.5bar higher pressure I think?) that flew
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

Just the injectors, they are shorter than the stock ones so they have a short extension (machined aluminum) to make it work. I can look up the company site that makes the kit...I think it was about $170 for the kit with two brand new bosh injectors with flow chart.

Same pressure as the stock.
I did not reset the ECU but instead let it "learn" from riding and they worked great from the start but the mileage was a bit low for a while (2 or 3 mpg) but has retuned to what it was before or maybe a bit better.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Mike, did you get the kit from tills.de in Germany? That’s the link posted in Roadster section’s recent tuning topic.

I’m interested in the modification, if for no reason other than spare injectors set to have cleaned and ready, given our ethanol fuel.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

Got it from www.injector-rehab.com
Comes with a flow sheet, very well done. Have no idea of any increase in power but it surely isn't less!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:Got it from http://www.injector-rehab.com
Comes with a flow sheet, very well done. Have no idea of any increase in power but it surely isn't less!
Cool, thanks. Injectors plus another AF-Xied plus y-pipe are on the menu for Rockster2.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

My two 1200 spray-pattern jobbies are now on the way from Germany; Jürgen Tills was very prompt following my on-line order ( tills.de ) sending them off by Deutsche Post for only 10 snoojits shipping to Spain....he says they're plug'n'play, just unhook the fuel feed with its special swivelling clip and yank out the old, bang in the new.
We'll see...
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

I’ve just installed them and written a comprehensive report for anyone interested, here: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ ... t-35805911

They definitely can smooth out your engine but don’t expect any added performance.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Thanks Roger but I'm a bit confused. From you advid write up:

"Installation on my 2001 R1200GS was very easy and took about 15 minutes because I took my time. "

Does this mean that you put the new 1200 injectors on a 1200?

Wait I see it couldn't be a 1200 'cause its a '01.

I have put up on this site my experiences with 1200 injector conversion on a rockster..about 12K miles so far. Just seat of the pants, I don't do electronic gismos for this sort of thing.

My originals(stock 1150) had 250K plus on them, still worked good but had been ultra sound cleaned a couple of times.

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Mike, Thanks for pointing out the typo, which I fixed. It is a 2001 R1150GS. Is there a link to your report?

Wait, I see you’re referring to this thread. Rockster, R1150R, R1150GS ... the engines and Motronic all work the same. In your report you said you “weren’t recommending, just say’n” so I added some added detail from my report that I hope can help others.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Yes,
I don't like to recommend anything as its so subjective. I've ridden bikes(1150) that the owner clamed it was "surging" and to date have never agreed to that condition. I think its many times the rider input or pavement undulations that are causing the effect. (properly tuned machine)

Having said that there will be some whom will think I am completely wrong, ha! hence the no recommendations just my thoughts.

Its good to hear feedback regardless.

I restate my belief that the upgrade is worthwhile and I let the ECU figure it all out w/o my input.

I'm happy.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

I applaud you for not making subjective recommendations. There are so many engine performance mods for our bikes that do nothing. Since I have the time, equipment and background, I try to make tests and measurements to figure out what works and what doesn’t. As far as I can see, the main benefits of these injectors are: better cold weather starting and a much smoother engine with no loss of economy. I am a fan of them too, especially when added to a bike with an LC-2 or AF-XIED.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Roger 04 rt wrote:I applaud you for not making subjective recommendations. There are so many engine performance mods for our bikes that do nothing. Since I have the time, equipment and background, I try to make tests and measurements to figure out what works and what doesn’t. As far as I can see, the main benefits of these injectors are: better cold weather starting and a much smoother engine with no loss of economy. I am a fan of them too, especially when added to a bike with an LC-2 or AF-XIED.

Amen to that and I might add that the throttle response seems?? crisper.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER