Heated Grip Question

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Guitarmike
Basic User

Heated Grip Question

Post by Guitarmike »

On a Rockster with heated grips,can you install aftermarket grips over the existing tubes?I'm mounting R1150 standard bars and after getting over the cost of the bars I was shocked to find out what the stock grips cost.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Heated Grip Question

Post by kirby »

Everything about BMW prices are shocking!
I have standard bars on my rock, but I'm not sure I understand your question. The standard heated grips on the rockster bars will fit right on, why buy new ones?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

I don't care for the standard grips or the price of the grips.What I'm asking is if you can remove the outer rubber grip from the sleeve and install aftermarket grips over the sleeve.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I have never done it but having had them off I would say yes. I believe I remember a guy I knew once that replaced his stock rubber covers with new stock rubbers because the original ones were cracking.
I know that is non definitive answer but....

Good luck, let use know.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

Thanks for the info guys.I'll give a little more thought to whether I like the original style spiral grips or not,I do like the later model grips available from Wunderlich and I'll go with one or the other.At $40 it's kind of hard to beat.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Haven't had a chance to install them yet, but I did get a set on eBay, $36 sent from Germany. They seem like an exact match for the originals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-ha ... 1127501801
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Check Pirates Lair Newsletter Archive Sept/Oct 2011 "grips review"
Helped with my selection.. PM me & I can tell ya how removal of grips is easily accomplished.
You may happen on the same information there too..
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I've always considered it to be a bloody awkward job mainly because you have to be very careful not to damage the heating wiring.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

I've already removed the old grips and ordered new ones from Wunderlich.Any tips on swapping out handlebars?
Guitarmike
Basic User

Post by Guitarmike »

I got the old bars off and am waiting for a length of self closing braided wire loom wrap to cover the control harnesses where the original shroud has dry rotted and exposed 1 1/2' of harness on one side and 1' on the other.Can't put it back together without fixing this,the bike is too nice to be let down by crappy looking control harnesses.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

I fitted a used Roadster bar to my Rockster - dead simple, plus much comfier for the old wrists and elbows - but careful attention is needed to the braided hose feeds to the clutch and front brake levers.
To make sure the front brake hose wasn't too tight ( a roadster bar is elevated whilst the standard Rockster bar is insufferable straight, thus the braids are quite short ) I had to gently slacken off the banjo union without letting in any air, so as to slightly alter the angle, relieving the extra strain.
But not at all a difficult conversion.

Incidentally, ¿ are your HG elements open-circuit ? If not, ¿ why not use them on the roadster bar ends ?

The replacement BMW rubber grips are made by the Italian firm Ariete at a much cheaper price on amazon than the outrageous one charged by the Greedy Berlin Pig and its concessionaires.

I also fitted the lower GS footpegs each side. A rather more complicated project lining up the control brackets, etc., but leads to a much, much more comfy riding attitude than the elbows-out, scrunched-up knees posture with the standard Rockster bar and pegs.

Us oldsters have delicate, over-used, decaying joints and our head-down racing days are long gone.
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike