Oilhead Cam Chain tensioner and Guide Rail

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Oilhead Cam Chain tensioner and Guide Rail

Post by Hidalgo »

Wanted to get some feedback. I have had my Rockster bike for over a year. It’s got less than 48,000 miles. I have done a few maintenance procedures including the Servo Assisted Brake flush as well as fluids, oil, filters and misc things. All great! However for the last few days I keep hearing a squeak followed by an occasional rattle from the left side. After some web reading I think it’s likely the tensioner. At times the squeak is loud and the rattle as well. Very loud agricultural noise. It’s come to my attention that I should change the tensioner. However I also have read that if I hear a lot of noise, by now the cam chain plastic rail may be very damaged and a new tensioner is useless. It would be a headache repair. Hard to tell what’s going on. Any experience from any of you of what should be my next step?
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Oilhead Cam Chain tensioner and Guide Rail

Post by riceburner »

Is the noise DEFINITELY coming from the left cylinder?

Have you upgraded the tensioner on that side to the updated one? (there's plenty of discussion about it).

When does the noise occur?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

I noticed the sound coming from the left about a month ago. It was a very low pitched squeal at best with a little rattle not all the time. Seldom. I figured it could be the tensioner. I realized that the upgrade would take care of that but did not realize till yesterday that a bad tensioner is a really serious mechanical issue. Not just a little rattle.
On Sunday I went for a ride and a few times I hear the squeal and the rattle significantly louder. When I got home I heard what sounded like small pots and pans rattling from the left side and a faint squeal from the left side. Bike run good. In fact, it’s really a great ride all the time. My concern is the tensioner guides getting chopped and the lower part of the tensioner falling into the engine. I heard it’s a possibility. Any experiences with that?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'd do a thorough service first : oil, valves, including the end float gap, and throttle bodies (in that order) to be sure it isn't any of them (which is more likely). Then I'd sort out the replacement cam chain tensioner.

If you're still hearing it - I'd also suggest checking that the clutch slave cylinder push rod isn't squealing against the spring plate. I had this really weird issue where the small bearing at the slave cylinder/push rod interface seized (at least I think that's what happened), and the push rod part-welded itself to the spring plate (because it wasn't free to rotate, thus causing enough friction to weld), which in turn led to all sorts of odd issues with the slave cylinder. It manifested as a loud metallic squeal from the left side of the bike, especially bad at start up.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

A bad tensioner is really a "rattle" not a squeal, and usually only when starting then goes away when the tensioner fills with oil.
Listen to Riceburner's advice, you have an issue that needs to be corrected..for sure.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

It's the squeak/squeal that's the interesting part. JUST a rattle may well be the valves or cct (easily solved with the updated part), but the squeak is odd.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

riceburner wrote:I'd do a thorough service first : oil, valves, including the end float gap, and throttle bodies (in that order) to be sure it isn't any of them (which is more likely). Then I'd sort out the replacement cam chain tensioner.

If you're still hearing it - I'd also suggest checking that the clutch slave cylinder push rod isn't squealing against the spring plate. I had this really weird issue where the small bearing at the slave cylinder/push rod interface seized (at least I think that's what happened), and the push rod part-welded itself to the spring plate (because it wasn't free to rotate, thus causing enough friction to weld), which in turn led to all sorts of odd issues with the slave cylinder. It manifested as a loud metallic squeal from the left side of the bike, especially bad at start up.
Thanks Riceburner!!
This does sound like a real possibility. It makes some sense. In fact, it makes more sense than any other alternative. Was this a simple solution for your issue or was it a really involved and extensive repair? Can’t thank all of you enough for the experience shared here!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hidalgo wrote:
riceburner wrote:I'd do a thorough service first : oil, valves, including the end float gap, and throttle bodies (in that order) to be sure it isn't any of them (which is more likely). Then I'd sort out the replacement cam chain tensioner.

Thanks Riceburner!!
This does sound like a real possibility. It makes some sense. In fact, it makes more sense than any other alternative. Was this a simple solution for your issue or was it a really involved and extensive repair? Can’t thank all of you enough for the experience shared here!

err - complete clutch strip out I'm afraid. ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburne ... 9080960209
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Well…Not exactly the pep talk I was hoping. If I have to remove and disassemble everything as you showed in pictures, then this is absolutely out of my realm of abilities. I will do as advised. I will service the oil, valves, including the end float gap, and throttle bodies and hope for the “magic” to reappear in my bike!
Thanks to all for helping me keep riding this best. It truly is a Gremlin bike.
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Well Riceburner, I think you nailed it. When I press the clutch, the noise goes away. It’s definately clutch related and like,y the master cylinder. Besides a new slave cylinder, what else did you have to do to repair the bike. Can I ride miles to the nearest BMW independent repair with this issues.

EST
Gil
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

In my case I had to replace the slave cylinder completely, and (IIRC) the push rod and the spring plate (the compression plate was ok).

I left mine until it completely screwed up - IIRC it caused the starter motor to burn out eventually (or that might have been a different issue I can't remember). But you're probably ok to ride it to get it repaired (I've not heard the bike obvs!)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

slave cylinder! I had a faint noise like that just before mine went completely away rolling up to a stop sign..... when it failed, I still rode home. I just had no clutch at all.... so... neutral...walk bike forward, get it moving, pop into first.... not the most fun, but I wasnt stranded!

and, not all that difficult a repair...comparatively.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Hidalgo, don't despair. If it is the slave cylinder / clutch issue as diagnosed in the above posts, splitting the bike in half is no big deal, unless you're one of those "I can't even change a light bulb" kind of guys. Provided you have a decent work-space to scrawple about in ( Olde Englishe word ) on both sides of the bike, you can surely save yourself hundreds of snoojits by watching the various Clutch Refurb videos several times and then gritting your teeth.

The hydraulically-actuated single plate dry clutch on these bikes requires consistent and careful maintenance, if the cheapo, inadequate Magura push-bike-component Slave Cylinder is not going to wave a gentle bye-bye by having its paltry inner bearing seize up and then foul up your clutch plate with hydraulic fluid sucked down the actuating-rod tube and onto the plate.
And you can always console yourself with the knowledge that once the split-bike job is attacked and the clutch dis-assembled, you can nowadays replace the equally-incompetent 'Sachs' brand friction plate with its inadequate short splined hub, with the newly-available Thailand-made plate with its extended hub, thus reducing the future possibility of spline wear by a very comforting amount.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just for reference - I discovered the thread I posted up on trc (my usual forum) when I had the 'squealing clutch' issue.

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads ... ting-to-it
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life