Narrowing down the problem I thought I fixed

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Narrowing down the problem I thought I fixed

Post by Hidalgo »

Since Christmas my “!” red light comes on every once in a while. Not the ABS light failure. Just the “!” light. I have checked all fluids, light bulbs and even air filter. All the usual suspects. The problem does occur once in a while when I apply brakes. NOT EVERY TIME. Could this be an indication of a clogged ABS Servo system in the making? Is this how the symptoms for the ABS failure start? If so, I better hurry up and do the flush really, REALLY soon.
The bike still brakes and stops on a dime. Flawless. (I am also building up the courage to do the ABS flush all by my self!)

Best,

Gil
peels
Basic User

Re: Narrowing down the problem I thought I fixed

Post by peels »

comes on and doesn't blink. then goes out on its own? id think low fluid. yes flush asap. Little "fiddly" but it isn't difficult at all.

also, check and clean the sensors at the wheels..
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Wow!! Peels! I need to buy you breakfast, lunch and dinner as a treat! THANKS FOR THE REPLY! I go to Iowa at least twice a year! - “Also, check and clean the sensors at the wheels”? - I have not seen that procedure on Jim’s service DVD and have NO idea where to look.
I purchased both (AMAZING) service DVD’s since the service DVD for the 1150 does not include servo ABS service. The light usually comes on just before I park it or slow down at a red light. No blinking. Just comes on but not all the time. The moment I restart the bike it goes away. I recently checked the levels on the MC under the tank. The front was low. I wish I didn’t like the bike so much. The fact is, I absolutely love this bike. I test rode 3 other bikes before I bought this one. I also wished I had better mechanical skills, but I am ready to learn as I go!
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Never mind Peels…I think you mean the anti-lock sensor. (Duh!…I am feeling pretty silly)
That would make sense that they need cleaning. Not sure that would trigger the “!” light.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

LOL dang had that breakfast picked out. :)

i just read one time that crud can get in the ring, and the sensor misses one its an error. when I had my problems I just checked as precaution. my problems all were voltage and fluid level based. but I remember it blinking...

any chance you have a bad brake light? cheap insurance, just change em. On our bikes,the lights are wired via the ABS module. and Iv'e heard of it popping a dash light.

found this from an online ABS tutorial:

Gen ON, ABS off = Tail light/brake light defective.

heavy read. but interesting.

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Well Peels, you have been a really GREAT member for me here. Thank you VERY much. I have read many, many threads and websites regarding the “!” red light. No one has really said that it’s a disaster but assured me is a minor thing. There are a few who claim I should tail light and clean the wiring. Others say to clean the ABS sensor. One told me it’s just a glitch and these bikes are known for that. Lastly, somebody said that if the front brake reservoir in the handlebar is a little low, which is slightly low, the system may not get enough pressure and trigger the warning light. This could potentially be since the light does come on most of time when I press the front brake and have not notice it when I press the back brake. It may be that in the near future, perhaps shortly after I flush the system, the bike may need the ABS to be bypassed. Either way, this bike is a ton of fun! Much more enjoyable than I ever thought!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

well thanks. I'm only relaying what I learned from those before me. your post reminds me of me when I got the bike. Just weed through all the useless info on the net, get stressed out, then just do some maintenance.... then... just relax and ride..

Youre getting into territory im unfamiliar with, because I just removed MY abs. LOL. so thats out the window.

also, want to say. thanks for admitting you go to Iowa twice a year. everyone I know from elsewhere avoids it. Saying its a "flyover state" :lol: jerks.

WInter has a firm grip here. I haven't ridden the bike but two times since November. :(