Before I disassemble more than I have to!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Before I disassemble more than I have to!

Post by Hidalgo »

For any of you with Rockster experience. I took the afternoon to do some preventive maintenance. I watched a few videos including a popular R1150 DVD instructional video that has instructions on removing the gas tank and much more. It seems the oil cooler is connected to the gas tank. For sure the Rockster is a unique bike like no other!! Before I start disassembling a lot of needless components I thought I would ask. Do I just simply disconnect hoses and lines from the two small oil coolers or can those stay put when removing the gas tank? I'm trying to get to the two master cylinders for the servo brake system as well as the battery.
peels
Basic User

Re: Before I disassemble more than I have to!

Post by peels »

not complicated.

the oil coolers just held on by a few screws, hoses stay attached to the cooler, and they just sorat flop outta the way.

here is a vid from a member here. watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXbNYhDNpkg
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
edbikerii
Basic User

Post by edbikerii »

I've seen that video. Helpful.

Short answer is, oil coolers can be unscrewed from tank and moved out of the way a couple inches so that the tank can be removed. Each of the plastic painted parts are secured on the bottom by two screws (longer T25s), then lift out of grommets on top. Then each of the oil coolers are mounted to the tank with 2 shorter screws on top, one long screw on the bottom.

I want to warn you that you should not even bother to try to avoid removing the tank. The trouble of trying to work under a still-connected tank is just not worth it, and it increases the risk of dropping the tank, damaging the electrical connector or the fuel lines, or damaging something else on your bike. I was very reluctant to remove the tank because I have heard horror stories about people breaking their fuel line quick-connects. Mine were no problem at all, but the male ends had been replaced by BMW years ago under a recall with metal units, and they had been greased, so a simple press of the buttons released them quickly and easily. I have still ordered the beemerboneyard kit to replace the female sides preventatively. Just take the tank off, it really is not hard and makes life a lot easier and safer!

Also, after replacing the tank, if the fuel pump squeals instead of pumping fuel don't panic! The quick disconnects are probably not connected properly, so fuel flow is shut off. Undo and re-do them better.

Good luck,
Ed
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

....just to add to that.....mark one of your two vent lines so you hook it back up correctly! :oops:
....or when you take them apart, leave one of the barbed fittings on the tank side and leave the other on the opposite side...that way they can't be hooked up wrong.
Buckster '03R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I have very small zip ties of different colors on my vent lines, just match the colors when installing the tank. I have had that tank off many times, once in the parking lot of a motel 6 due to a dead bat for replacing same. (original bat..6 years old).

I have just the right tools for such a caper in my kit when traveling.
Choose well and the tool take up surprisingly small amount of space.

FWIW
I cut my vent lines about even with the quick disconnects and used a connector to tie them back together with the zip ties on each end near the connector. All I have to do is pull oil cooler fairings and coolers (I have replaced all fasteners with Philips head screws), release the quick disconnects ,pull the vent lines apart and the pump connector and I am done.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
edbikerii
Basic User

Post by edbikerii »

re: the drain line vs. vent line, one of them (drain line, I think) has 'X's printed every couple of centimeters on the whole length of it, so just make sure you hook the hose with 'X's to the hose with 'X's and you'll be fine. I'm sure that now that I've jinxed that, I will accidentally mix them up one day, and ruin my charcoal canister, so "touch wood" as they say.