Hello

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mun
Basic User

Hello

Post by Mun »

I am hoping to pick up my Rockster in the next week. Any other members in U K or Europe..
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Hello

Post by Doug »

I'm sure we have some! :)
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I'm UK based. SE to be a bit more exact.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

I'm roaming around Lincolnshire, welcome.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I WISH i was there.... it's smack in the middle of English Football season. :) the only sport I half care about.

welcome! i'd certainly like to visit there someday.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Wildy
Basic User

Post by Wildy »

Just joined this forum and just got my 2003 80 edition rockster, I am in the south East s well.
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome!!
Member #1
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

I'm on my second UK-version year-04 non-ABS Rockster tiger-stripe.

Recently imported at vast expense into Spain and matriculated into the Spanish white rear number-plate system. About a grand and a half inc transportation costs. Thankfully it's worth more here in Spain on the used market than in the UK by about a couple of grand in €.

You might find that straight Rockster handlebar a bit of a strain on your wrists on long rides. I swapped mine for a 2nd-hand roadster bar from MW in Meltham Bridge, a bar which has a better angled lift and is more acceptably angled backwards at the ends. Easier on the old wrists and elbows.

Otherwise a great much-underrated version of the 6-speed R1150S. According to my pals in the trade, back in the day, new Rocksters languished for months in the showroom before finding an owner. Mainly 'cos the bike trade newspapers panned it.

AL in still-sweltering Andalucía.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Hi Al, welcome.
Member #1
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Sykospain, Do you know why the bike was panned? I will be in Sheffield, England next August. Wish I could bring my bike with me for a spin around the countryside.....
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I think the Rockster (and the R for that matter too) were panned because the R1150S had 20% more horsepower with a motor that looked identical.
I still feel a little cheated about that :(
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Wildy
Basic User

Post by Wildy »

Fitted some MV tech adjustable bar risers, that has made a difference for me more upright and slightly nearer.
I noticed the difference as I had to ride the bike back from York to East Sussex on my first ride, I was very much riding on my wrists, much better now.

I had an R1150 R back in the day, I toured on it never had that feeling. Still all sorted now.

Bike rode pretty good for 15 years old, much more differently from my Harley Roadglide!!
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

A mention to hya1..
I gather that the critical reviews were written during the period when bike journos - not the most inspired wordsmiths in the world - simply concentrated on critising BMW's unusual winker-operation system, instead of writing objective reviews about he marque's positive aspects as durable, comfortable vehicles.

As an owner of two almost identical Rocksters in recent years, as well as 2 almost identical R1100S models earlier in the millenium, I don't think the S model that inspired the Rock had all that much more power in the 1150 version. My only real criticism is the too-short 6th gear. Too buzzy for high-speed autobahning. The first gear is too tall and the top gear is too short.

Otherwise, a very good general-purpose roadster; easy to maintain and in the early 2000 vintages, all-German quality and not half-Chinese like today's models.

In our provincial capital city of Almería the other day, I chatted with a Kymco concessionaire who told me that the motor in the current BMW large-capacity scooter is made by Kymco in China ! Their equivalent model is no less than five grand cheaper in snoojits than the C650 Sport BMW vehicle.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I for one like very much the short (.7) top gear ratio on the rockster (1st is too high for all the 1150s especially the GS). It really puts the cruise ('bout 4500 at 80 mph) in a good part of the power curve and mine actually gets better mileage (MPG) at that speed than the R1150 I had with the .8, and will pull smartly away from same in top gear roll ons. Ha!

R1150S??? whatzat?

I'm sticking with the old Rockster, it fits me and I can take care of any problems myself. Hired 1200s in Europe and they are more powerful but if I was looking for power I'd buy something else, like a Japanese machine for the bang for the buck.

My .02
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:I for one like very much the short (.7) top gear ratio on the rockster (1st is too high for all the 1150s especially the GS). It really puts the cruise ('bout 4500 at 80 mph) in a good part of the power curve and mine actually gets better mileage (MPG) at that speed than the R1150 I had with the .8, and will pull smartly away from same in top gear roll ons. Ha!

R1150S??? whatzat?

I'm sticking with the old Rockster, it fits me and I can take care of any problems myself. Hired 1200s in Europe and they are more powerful but if I was looking for power I'd buy something else, like a Japanese machine for the bang for the buck.

My .02

Agreed.

The only thing that will stop me getting a Rockster again is if I wind up working within London's UltraLowEmissionZone when I return to the UK. The Rockster is too old to get in for free.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

For emission zone commuting you'll never find a better two-wheeled non-scooter than the Honda New Concept 6-speed auto / manual 750. On mine back in the UK when riding 'normally', I get around eighty-five, yes, 85 mpg. It's a proper motorbike that I've toured the Picos de Europa on, easily keeping up with a bunch of rocketship riders - and a 2-year-old used one dating from before the 2017 upgrade will cost you only around three-and-a-half grand. A truly revolutionary motorbike, entirely made in Japan with commensurate build quality, durability and finish.Try one for a coupla hours at a Honda dealer and you'll be amazed.

https://vimeo.com/190066422

AL in s.e. Spain
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:For emission zone commuting you'll never find a better two-wheeled non-scooter than the Honda New Concept 6-speed auto / manual 750. On mine back in the UK when riding 'normally', I get around eighty-five, yes, 85 mpg. It's a proper motorbike that I've toured the Picos de Europa on, easily keeping up with a bunch of rocketship riders - and a 2-year-old used one dating from before the 2017 upgrade will cost you only around three-and-a-half grand. A truly revolutionary motorbike, entirely made in Japan with commensurate build quality, durability and finish.Try one for a coupla hours at a Honda dealer and you'll be amazed.

https://vimeo.com/190066422

AL in s.e. Spain
For me, riding is fun, no matter what riding it is - I'd rather ride a fun bike in mid-december in the freezing fog, than a "less than fun" bike in France in the middle of July, hence why I owned Rocksters for 12 years and rode them all year round for all purposes: because I like riding them regardless of their mileage, maintenance or performance. :D :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Believe me, RiceBurner, commuting on 2 wheels inside the London emission zone can in no way whatsoever be described as 'fun'. It's a fecking nightmare, even without the mad law-breaking bicyclists shooting red lights and cutting you up on the inside. And the London cop-cars now finally agreeing to see-ff the ubiquitous scooter thieves by ramming them into the tarmac. At last, a positive solution to a previously out-of-control problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtoKz1FLVh8

Personally, I'd Taser the miserable thieving scroats - all of 'em...
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:Believe me, RiceBurner, commuting on 2 wheels inside the London emission zone can in no way whatsoever be described as 'fun'. It's a fecking nightmare, even without the mad law-breaking bicyclists shooting red lights and cutting you up on the inside. And the London cop-cars now finally agreeing to see-ff the ubiquitous scooter thieves by ramming them into the tarmac. At last, a positive solution to a previously out-of-control problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtoKz1FLVh8

Personally, I'd Taser the miserable thieving scroats - all of 'em...

I did over ten years of daily commuting (Reading to Borough, then West Sussex to Bond Street then Faringdon). If you don't learn to enjoy it, it'll kill you.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hyja1 wrote:Sykospain, Do you know why the bike was panned? I will be in Sheffield, England next August. Wish I could bring my bike with me for a spin around the countryside.....

IMO, it's too weird looking for BMW enthusiasts (especially the market around that time), and it's too 'BMW' for people who like non-BMW bikes. It was supposed to be a factory built 'street-fighter' of sorts, but wasn't hugely powerful or fast (regular streetfighters of the time were stripped down 1000cc super-sports bikes), and was quite heavy and too 'BMW' to be of interest to that sort of crowd.

It's made it's own niche though, which isn't too bad for a parts-bin special. (the only items unique to the Rockster are the eyebrow, the top 'yoke' and the headlight supports - everything else is R1150R, or raided from other bikes of the period).
Last edited by riceburner on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life