Getting to know You, Rockster!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Getting to know You, Rockster!

Post by Hidalgo »

Now with a few weeks under my belt riding the Rockster to work every time I can I have become hyper sensitive to every vibration, noise and bump. Perhaps still a little paranoid over anything I hear or feel that may appear new. So perhaps sharing some of the things I notice will prompt somebody to share.
1-When ever I have the clutch pressed, mostly waiting for the light to change or in heavy stop & go traffic, there is a distinctive hiss sound. In all my previous bikes, I have never heard anything like that. I am guessing that’s normal.
2-Every day I hear a new rattle in the gear box. Sometimes when shifting. Sometimes at low speeds. Nothing really new considering I used to have a 75 R90. Beers are known to have calypso bands in their gearboxes.
3-I have searched the web and articles about the shocks on these bikes. I can feel any slight road bump. I twist to the left and to the right and never notice much difference, so then I go back and find a middle setting. Is there a trick or formula to finding the optimal position for the shocks.
Thanks for reading folks! Loving the Rockster much more than I could ever imagined.

Gil
dustburm
Basic User

Re: Getting to know You, Rockster!

Post by dustburm »

I've had my Rockster for about 6 years and the transmission seems, for lack of a better term, agricultural. I seem to have the same clunks, rattles and ker-thunks now that I had 6 years ago. I try to pre-tension the shifter vs poking at it. It is what it is. If your previous experience was with a jap bike less than 30 years old it probably is a bit disconcerting. Or at least different.

I do not sit with the clutch pulled in. I can't remember why but I'm sure there is a very good reason.

On a totally different note, I got rained on in Phoenix yesterday. What a shock. I never carry a jacket, much less rain gear. Holy c***. I did dry out pretty much un affected except my face shield needed de spotting.

Dusty Burman
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Dustburn. THANK YOU FOR THE MESSAGE. It’s encouraging and totally comforting to know somebody else experiences the same things with their Rockster as I do. Your comparison to the gearbox to a farm equipment is dead on. How many miles do you have on your Rockster? Have you had any glitches or small mechanical adjustments that keep coming back?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

a clunky transmission can be a positive. WHen you always clunk....and you get the shift JUST right, with no clunk, its that much more rewarding. :lol:

I LOVE the in traffic clunks. Sewing machine quiet bike at idle... cars all around, windows open, you know people are staring at you like, "what is that not-a-harley motorcycle rider doin with a helmet on and being so quiet and respectful for?" Light turns green(i sit in neutral to conserve the slave, plus I have tennis elbow in my left arm lol) , clutch, shift to first... KAAAAAA-CHINK-CLUUUNK. and away we go :lol: :lol: :lol: Always forget to wait a sec for the trans to stop spinning.

It may be agricultural, but its pretty hefty(inside not including spline issue), ill take that any day. :mrgreen:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Some of the noises can be a bit disconcerting at first but you will soon come to learn what's normal and what isn't.
There's a 1100GS round my way that's like a sewing machine so they don't all have to sound like a bag of nails.
I did find tightening the rocker spindle end float clearance made a differance. Pretty sure I have some throttle body ticking as well so I'll sort that this winter.
Trans, I can get to swap gears smooth as silk for mile after mile then for seemingly no reason we're back in tractor mode again! Up changes are almost clutch less....just a quick dip of the lever, no need to pull it right back to the grip. Shifts better if you spin the motor, around town it's more CLUNK!
dustburm
Basic User

Post by dustburm »

My Rockster has about 81k. I have put about 35K on, mostly riding to work, running errands and the occasional run up the hill from Phoenix, AZ to Prescott via the Yarnell hill. I've put about 185k miles on various bikes since 1969. 1967 350 Yamaha, 250 Ossa, H2(?) Blue 750 Kaw, 350 Single Honda(don't ask), 900 Kaw, 850 Suzuki shafter, 20 year void, Rockster.

My Rockster has had the big($$$$) spline fail. Knew immediately what happened. Rush Hour, 90 degrees, car pool lane, 70mph, yee-haw, special moment.

My tires go about 20K, both looking equally done. Front had maybe a little more life but it was cupped. Being almost 65 and ready to retire I'm thinking when this set goes so does the bike. I really enjoy Italian tune ups and doing the ton so I may have a rethink on that.................

I've put rear brakes on every 10 or 12k. According to prev owner the fronts are original. Which I find to be strange as I use front brake almost exclusively. I guess the auto-magic super brake system decides when to use the rear. There's no apparent drag on the rear so who knows. I have cleaned the brake parts and carefully put Permatex anti seize on the pins and pad holes. They seem to now wear perfectly even inside to outside.

My buddy bought a brand new 1966 r59 or r60 and that thing was agricultural also. Plus his clutch 'glazed' and made tormented sounds to complement the percussion of the transmission. The dealer said 'no problem' it will last forever and it did. So there is a heritage to the agricultural transmission. Before 1966, I don't know?

My suspension is shot. If I had $3000 I could cure that but I'll suffer thru and enjoy my bike as much as possible.

My current problem is a weeping oil fill. I went to Moto Ghost in Phoenix to get the parts and the owner said 'I'll fix it for you'. So Omar installed the o ring and plastic part and it started leaking a few months later. He carefully cleaned every thing up before he snapped the parts in. It's not the plug, its the socket it turns into.

Now that it's cooled off a bit I'll go back and get another set of parts and install them to my plan. My plan will probably involve some nasty sticky gasket sealer to complement that o ring. It will not involve a big buck locking filler.

More than you need to know but I have shared my Rockster experiences. Except for this priceless list we really are somewhat isolated do to make, model and vintage .

Dusty Burman
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Good information Dusty! So what I have gathered is, not if the splines may fail, is more like when they will. OK. I can live with that since nothing really lasts forever and nothing is really bulletproof. At how many miles did your splines fail?
There are a few videos out there with tutorials on spline inspection and repairs. Some of them are useless. I find that Chris from New Hampshire has the most consistent advise. I may consider buying the $600 custom spline from his vendor and having it ready for the day it fails.

So, let me ask to the general public here; Is there anybody out there with over 90,000 miles on their Rockster that has not had any spline issues? My 1988 K75 has 145,000 miles and I mostly did the splines lube every 15,000 miles and it served me well for many years.

Thanks to all,

Gil
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

218,000,' crabbed at 169,000 minimal ware no damage.
'04 bought new. I'm only rider,95% solo.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Awesome record for the splines Kirby! So at 169,000 you changed the splines that had minimum ware. That gives me hope with my 04 Rockster as well. The more I ride this bike the more I get used to it’s Chitty Chitty Bang Bang noises. Thanks for the great feedback.
Gil
kirby

Post by kirby »

No didn't change any thing still running all original parts.

mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

kirby wrote:218,000,' crabbed at 169,000 minimal ware no damage.

After the original freakout. I crabbed Mine at mileage 26k i think? ZERO wear. Iv'e stopped worrying about it almost completely. Might do it again around 60. I ride my bike pretty hard. Normal cruising for me is 80-90mph. and some 2up. Panniers always loaded with something. Its my little 2 wheeled station wagon.

i think the message should be just to check and lube them. If there's wear, do something about it. Not that you're riding a ticking timebomb. There obviously must have been some quality oversights at the factory. I know of WAY more MEGA mile R bikes like Kirby's (very impressive Mr. Kirby) than there are Spline fails. I expect mine to fully outlive my use for it. And I will probably replace it with ANOTHER R bike, but of the touring variety.

but, as with anything...you know nobody squawks about all systems being nominal. :?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Hidalgo wrote:Awesome record for the splines Kirby! So at 169,000 you changed the splines that had minimum ware. That gives me hope with my 04 Rockster as well. The more I ride this bike the more I get used to it’s Chitty Chitty Bang Bang noises. Thanks for the great feedback.
Gil
oh ....you..... pretty chitty bang bang, we love you.

thanks alot. that's gonna be stuck in my head all day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kirby

Post by kirby »

peels wrote:

After the original freakout. I crabbed Mine at mileage 26k i think? ZERO wear. Iv'e stopped worrying about it almost completely. Might do it again around 60. I ride my bike pretty hard. Normal cruising for me is 80-90mph. and some 2up. Panniers always loaded with something. Its my little 2 wheeled station wagon.

i think the message should be just to check and lube them. If there's wear, do something about it. Not that you're riding a ticking timebomb. There obviously must have been some quality oversights at the factory. I know of WAY more MEGA mile R bikes like Kirby's (very impressive Mr. Kirby) than there are Spline fails. I expect mine to fully outlive my use for it. And I will probably replace it with ANOTHER R bike, but of the touring variety.

but, as with anything...you know nobody squawks about all systems being nominal. :?

When you engage the clutch the pressure plate only moves a very small fraction of an inch. It really just relieves the pressure on the plates allowing them to slip and remove the torque from the trans input shaft.
The input shaft doesn't need to be lubed for that action. Mine has only had lub from the factory and was dry when I inspected it.
Having said that, there are some that believe that even the small movement of the plates will benifet from a small amount of lub to help with the movement required to relieve enough pressure to allow the slip needed for a smooth shift.

So if your having a bit of stiff shifting then lub might help with that. ( hard to do without pulling the trans back)

No where in my manual have I found an interval for lubing the input shaft. Only real purpose for lub is to help prevent oxidation,

IMHO FWIW

mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

kirby wrote:
peels wrote:

When you engage the clutch the pressure plate only moves a very small fraction of an inch. It really just relieves the pressure on the plates allowing them to slip and remove the torque from the trans input shaft.
The input shaft doesn't need to be lubed for that action. Mine has only had lub from the factory and was dry when I inspected it.
Having said that, there are some that believe that even the small movement of the plates will benifet from a small amount of lub to help with the movement required to relieve enough pressure to allow the slip needed for a smooth shift.

So if your having a bit of stiff shifting then lub might help with that. ( hard to do without pulling the trans back)

No where in my manual have I found an interval for lubing the input shaft. Only real purpose for lub is to help prevent oxidation,

IMHO FWIW

I Agree. preventing corrosion maybe, which leads to wear? i SUPPOSE it could help on a HEAVILY loaded bike. as you release the clutch, it SLIDES on the splines, not jerks. SOme people really ride their clutch. specifically, heavy bikes. clutch banging in and out on those splines. I try to be wary of that when I ride, but overall... Like I said, I really stopped worrying about it.
kirby

Post by kirby »

The clutch plate hardly moves at all, only the pressure plate moves and it is as I have said a very small fraction of an inch. I suspect that only hard used, (water crossings), GS's suffer from real rust/oxidation on the input shaft. Riding the clutch will just cause plate ware not spline ware.

There are hundreds of thousands of autos that use manual transmissions with dry clutches and many go hundreds of thousands of miles with no lub on the splines.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Evan
Basic User

Post by Evan »

There are some shocks that you can adjust individually for example from Hornig https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... 50Rockster
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Chris Harris insists that there should be n o attempt e v e r to slip the clutch on a hydraulic-clutched oilhead. He says many times in his various videos that doing that will wreck the splines. The clutch on such bikes should be operated like a switch - in or out with one quick movement.
And n e v e r sit at idle with the lever pulled in. I go by what the expert says....
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike