Rocksters Headlight question

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Rocksters Headlight question

Post by sykospain »

My current lighting problem concerns the project of bringing the UK Rockster to Spain to live here with me, and trying to source an EU right-dipping dipper lamp for inside the bucket. The UK installed lamp dips the wrong way for the tester guys at the annual ITV test - known in UK as the MOT. Because they drive on the left of the road - sorry, they drive on what's left of the road.
And you can't stick bits of black tape on the glass like visiting tourists can, if the bike lives here.
The Greedy Berlin Pig new price just for that one dipper lamp ( luz de cruce ) is no less than 390 snoojits. GASP !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

I'm sure that not just I would be very interested in seeing your final Squadron 4-LED installation inside the Rockster lamps-nacelle. As mentioned above, please keep us posted. Thanks in anticipation. Here in Spain, i have a buzzing bee in my bonnet about being _ S E E N_. Based on unpleasant being-knocked-over experience(s).
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Page 38 of the Rockster's "Maintenance Manual" small booklet that comes with the bike, gives us clear instructions on how to access and swap-over the dip beam lamp's throw between LHD and RHD.
BUT
The instructions on how to access the swap-over switch are WRONG.
It tells you to undo the four sunken cross-heads visible in the front surface of the headlamps nacelle.
NO.

Those 4 screws are for fine adjustment of the beam-throw of both lamps. If the bike successfully passed its last roadworthiness test, don't touch 'em.

The way to split the plastic shroud of the nacelle, which is in 2 parts, front and rear, is to undo the four small sheet-metal self-tapping torx-head screws located at the top and bottom edges of the plastic moulding. Of course, as is normal, in order to undo the bottom-edge ones, you need a torch and have to stand poised carefully on your head.

The instructions also gloss over how to remove the triangular small fairing above the lamps before you begin.

In fact that fairing is simply held on by three rubber-grommeted spikes on the back of the moulding. Dead easy as it just yanks off.
Lube those rubbers with Surgical Spirit ( USA = "Rubbing Alcohol" ) on re-fitment for reduced danger of snapping off the spikes next time you remove the moulding. Surgical Spirit is available in 250 mil or larger bottles from your local farmácia.

Tastes awful, knocks your legs out from under you with one swallow and may make you go blind, but at least the liquid leaves no residue and costs a tenth of the price of branded "Rubber & Nylon Lube" in spray cans. e.g. Halfraud's.