Helmets

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jobooth321
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Helmets

Post by jobooth321 »

Simple enough... What helmet do you wear? I'm in the market for a new lid. I'm lusting after a Roof Boxer V8 Black Shadow but I'm not sure I want to order from the web. We all know how differently helmets fit...
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Helmets

Post by ldeijkva »

Schuberth S1 Pro. Picked it up a few months ago for 180 Euro. Dirt cheap for a helmet like this. Had a S1 & S1 Pro in te past, perfect fit. 8)

Three years ago I was in the market for a new helmet & did some research on falling impact etc. Interestingly almost none of the known brands score high in the safety department. According to US & European safety standards useally the midrange segment scores highest in impact endurance. The test methods are a bit macabre. Snell used to have a philosofy that a helmet needs to be able to endure a primary impact of x Nm, and a secondary impact of a lower value of Nm. Assuming that if you fall your head bounces of the pavement etc. UK/EU standards are different, where you need to take two blows of the same Nm. :|

Airoh scored high on all tests. Schuberth, Suomy, Arai & Shoey all scored around 3 out of 5 stars.
jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

That's the EXACT helmet I had. Mine fell apart on me and Schuberth wouldn't help at all. I totally got the run around.

I hope yours last longer than mine did! While it was in shape, it was a great helmet. One of the best fitting/best looking ones I've ever had.

I just picked this up over my lunch hour on sale:

It actually fit better than the Schuberth S2 or the Bell Star. I wanted an internal sun visor, but the shield on this one is transitional so it gets dark in the sun. Nice!
sukizilla
Basic User

Post by sukizilla »

I like my Bell Revolver.

tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

HJC RPS-10. Mine's yellow, they were out of the white in my size.

jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

sukizilla, how's that Bell Revolver do in the wind? Does your head get pushed around?

ldeijkva, the Schuberth S1 Pro was probably the most stable and quiet helmet I've ever worn. I had to work to turn my head and it would snap back into place looking straight forward. Uncanny!
jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

update

Aerodynamics are great. The Vortex is stable at 80. Airflow is GREAT! You can open vents and feel the air on your head. Cools you right down. You can also close up the vents and it's like having the windows and doors shut. It'll be great in winter.

The negative, though... this thing is NOISY! Noisiest helmet I've ever worn hands down. Noisier than my open face. The wind rush starts at about 30 mph and escalates. Don't ride without ear plugs!
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

I've got a Nolan N43.

Goes well with my Edition 80.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Black Shoei X-11.
Rockster
Gimbel | Sargent | AFXIED | LeoVince | BoxerPerformance | EBC | Metzeler | RS Ducts | UNI | Bitubo
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I'm still sporting a Shoie RF-1000. Just replaced the face shield and side plates this year, she's getting long in the tooth, but will make another year. I've had HJC's in the past and found them very loud, the Shoie also fits my punkin head better.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

scorpion EXO 1000. I bought it when I got the bike

Since on my way to go buy the bike, I realized id gotten rid of ALL my motorcycle gear when I got out of the sport when the kids were little. Couldn't find my helmet :(

Got it at 50% off. Very nice helmet for the price. good venting, somewhat quiet. Comfort is good, sunshade is very handy. the little "reebok pump" cheekpads, I could do without.

I am pleased with it. IF i get really into touring, Ill get something better i think though.

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
harrisphil
Basic User

Post by harrisphil »

i like an openface helmet worn with industrial sunglasses currently I have an airoh bought from an off road shop works great with no lift at speed
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

Caberg Trip Flip Front jobbie for me. Getting on a bit now and I'm pretty sure this model is discontinued. One-handed open/close easily and intuitively, and the flip-down sun visor is dead useful - you can even drop it just a bit to shade your eyes without dropping it fully (which you can't on many flips with retractable sun visors).

I cant see me ever going back to a full-face - the ability to open up the front of the lid is just too handy. I find a full face kinda claustrophobic except when moving at pace on the open road, and tiresome in town or stopped at lights etc.

So for me a Flip is the best of both. Problem is they are (a bit) heavier and I think a bit harder to get one that is a good fit.

The Caberg was not expensive (compared to Arai, Shoei etc. etc.) and fitted me better than more expensive ones too. Not too noisy either. A cheaper lid that fits you will do a better job than an expensive one that doesn't fit as well anyway, so I've been more than happy with it (& even happier not to actually test its protective qualities!).

G.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Still in an old Arai - I 'think' it's an Astro X, but then I've had a Quantum, an Astro J, and one or two others.

Needing a new one to be honest, but I'll stick with Arai for the forseeable - having seen and experienced what they can take I simply won't compromise - plus - the Astro/RXX shell shape is the only shape that seems to fit me. :(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
R100CS
Basic User

Post by R100CS »

At the moment a Schuberth C3, no problems with that.
It replaced another C3 that was damaged in a crash.
Before that I had a Nolan Classic N103? (internal sunvisor), but that fell apart after 20.000km (2 years). Some hingeparts flew away when I opened my visor.
Before the Nolan I had a BMW system 4.
The system 4 had, in the inner lining, 2 holes on the stirn.
These holes were pressed closed after a while so watervapour couldn't escape.
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
NorCalSaint
Basic User

Post by NorCalSaint »

Arai XD3 for me & I have no complaints...

04 R1150r Rockster
Old - 02 Buell S3T, 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 01 F650GS Dakar, 76 Suzuki TS250