Idles, dies with throttle

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

cardsixteen
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Idles, dies with throttle

Post by cardsixteen »

So I'm new to the board as well as my Rockster, and I'm having this issue already!

Yesterday on the home stretch the engine started to die whenever I would hit about 4000rpm in 1st. Now, if I can get any engine speed at all, it jerks it's way up the block and eventually dies, although starting and idling seems normal. Any ideas?
Last edited by cardsixteen on Sun May 26, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Idles, dies with trottle

Post by riceburner »

does it run ok at 2-3000 revs?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
cardsixteen
Basic User

Post by cardsixteen »

riceburner wrote:does it run ok at 2-3000 revs?
So to update this; it was running ok in that range, but yesterday after chugging down the block in 1st and dying, I can barely get the engine started and running. Any attempt to give any throttle stalls the engine.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Miles/kms on the bike?

Stick coil(s)
Fuel supply system
Hall effect sensor system (less likely)
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
cardsixteen
Basic User

Post by cardsixteen »

Just shy of 14,000mi
BruceinLA
Basic User

Re: Idles, dies with throttle

Post by BruceinLA »

My vote is for a split fuel line in the gas tank.

any recent service history showing a fuel filter change?

In any case it is a good time to change (or inspect) filter / hoses / o rings since this bike is new to you.

beemerboneyard has filters / clamps / o rings, hoses are dealer only and about $60.00 for both of them.

I just went thru this on my K1200...
Bruce B.
Ventura County, CA.

1999 K1200LT
2004 R1150R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I saw that a couple of years ago on a friends rockster. It may not be your problem but his turned out to be the hall sensor harnes.
wish you luck!
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
WillAinsworth
Basic User

Post by WillAinsworth »

Same issue with my 2004 R1150R with only 8600 miles on it. Thinking it was bad gas, I drained the tank, put new gas in and some Sea Foam fuel cleaner, but still had the problem. Took the tank off and opened it up and found the fuel hose between the fuel filter and the fuel pump had cracks in it. With only 8600 miles on it, the problem was obviously age of the hose, not miles on the bike. So I replaced every hose in the tank (including the filler cap vent hoses) and the filter while I had it apart. Once back together, my bike started right up and is running noticeably stronger than it has in recent memory. I bet I was running on reduced fuel pressure from pin holes in the fuel line, up to the point it finally cracked.

Tips:

* I drained as much of the gas out of the tank as I could by holding a bucket under the quick disconnect hose and opening it with a thin Phillips screw driver. Not too messy, really. There was still a lot of gas in the tank, so after I got it off, I turned it upside down over a dishwashing tub, but still had to use the "turkey baster" tip to get the last of the fuel out after I removed the fuel filter cover plate. Glad I did because there was a lot of debris in the tank from the deteriorated hose.

* Print and follow J Brooks' instructions on removing the tank, which are dead-on accurate. http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/te ... emoval.htm

* Make the cardboard "punch card" to hold and mark all the screws removed, which someone else mentioned. I used the top of an old shoe box. Punched a hole in it for each screw removed, put them in the card in sequence removed, and labeled them as I went along. Putting the tank back on was simply a reverse of the procedure.

* The thread on "Fuel Filter Change Procedure" really helped. http://www.r1150r.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18075 I used tape to make my alignment marker for the fuel filter cover plate and the gas filler before I removed them. But a felt-tipped marker might have been better. MAKE SURE YOU MARK WHICH VENT HOSE GOES ON WHICH NIPPLE BEFORE YOU REMOVE THEM FROM THE FUEL FILTER COVER PLATE! Same goes for marking them on the fuel filler cap before removing them on that end. I didn't to that, and ended up spending over an hour looking at various pictures and parts diagrams to make sure I had it right before re-installing the filler cap and the filter back on the tank.

* The factory clamps are a major pain and I ended up going back to the dealer to buy replacement screw-type clamps. Might as well buy them up-front when you are getting the hoses and filter.

If you need more info or pictures, feel free to send me an email. [email protected]
Maxwell 11
Basic User

Post by Maxwell 11 »

Hi Guys
My bike is doing the same. Have taken fuel tank apart all seems well, hall sensor seems to be working will sit and idle but as soon as you touch the throttle it stalls.need help as live in remote place not sure if anyone here will be able to fix and need bike fixed asap
Thanks
Max