Fuel leak question

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Maitre
Basic User

Fuel leak question

Post by Maitre »

Hello everyone,

About a year ago I had a serious fuel leak between the tank and the engine that was fixed by the BMW dealer at no cost since the bike was in warranty. 8 months later I have the same problem. Bike is in shop now, but the warranty is gone so it will cost me some $.

My question is - is this a common occurrence on this model? If yes, what exactly is leaking? Is anything that can be fixed for good and never look back, or something prone to future failure, that will prevent me from taking the bike on any long-lasting trips? If the latter, I would probably need to sell the bike.

Forgot to add: I ride very little due to the nature of my job (overseas assignments) and I keep the bike outside under cover. Would this lack of regular riding (translated in lack of regular fuel line lubrication) have any influence on this?

Thank you.
telliott
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by telliott »

Way too common! Do a search on quick disconnets and you'll find all the info you need. Don't put the stock ones back on it.
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
Maitre
Basic User

Post by Maitre »

Well, I asked Wild West Honda/BMW here in Houston/Katy that happens to be a BMW certified dealer to replace the 1-year old, plastic quick-release clamps with metallic screw-type rings and they refused. Motive was that they do not alter BMW bikes even if mine is way out of manufacturer's warranty.

So they put similar ones in. They told me that they encounter this very often, on all models.

That's a shame. Maybe I will do it myself one day. I'll just have to find the right clamps.

But the problem is not even the inconvenience of it; is the danger of catching fire and killing someone as a result. BMW should do something about it.

Happy riding,

Maitre