How do you cope without centerstand?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

cug
Basic User

How do you cope without centerstand?

Post by cug »

Hi All,

I'm thinking (very vaguely, will likely not happen) of adding an R nineT to the the stable and thought about the fact that the lack of the centerstand might drive me nuts. It's not as bad as on bikes with a chain, but still ...

In my experience with the boxers, if you leave it sitting on the side stand for extended periods of time, oil will run into the lower side cylinder head and burn with some smoke when starting. Is that still the case? Do you use a different stand when in the garage? Just don't care when on the road, but for "storage" prop it up somehow? Or does it just not create the issues I have seen with older ones?
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Re: How do you cope without centerstand?

Post by lcarlson »

My R1150R blows some smoke on cold startup after sitting a few days, but really, what difference does that make?
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
cug
Basic User

Post by cug »

I'm just curious. That's all. I prefer to put my bikes on the centerstand in the garage and when I park somewhere where I want to use as little space as possible. Other than that, it really only annoys me when I either have a flat or the bike has a chain.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Here's how I do without a center stand while on the road:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/wheels ... r-diy.html

And here's how I park it in the garage with a wheel choke/stand:

Never really noticed any smoke coming out on cold starts on my 1200R, which 90% of the time parked on a side stand.
Hope that helps!
Get Lost!
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

My R9t doesn't burn any more oil than my previous R1200Rs with the same DOHC engine. In fact, after only 3,700 miles it's remarkably frugal in its oil consumption. I may have added a half a quart once in all that time.

I don't miss the center stand at all.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)