NineT Owners Photo Thread

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Re: NineT Owners Photo Thread

Post by machew01 »

I'm really liking the various versions of the RNineTLR models! (for Lost Rider)

mac
nylife
Lifer
Donating Member #: 956

Post by nylife »

Hey lost, what screen is that? thanks in advance
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects handlebars to the saddle.
2009 R12R
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

nylife wrote:Hey lost, what screen is that? thanks in advance

That's a Wunderlich Daytona fairing.

EDIT: Just realized how long ago you asked... so sorry.... been on tour working.

Some changes are afoot...

Get Lost!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Lost NineT Nach Maß Gemacht! :mrgreen:

Get Lost!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Lost Rider wrote:Lost NineT Nach Maß Gemacht! :mrgreen:

Finn,

Speechless! That new paint job turned out EXCELLENT!!!!!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rochsan
Basic User

Post by rochsan »

Hi There,
In my opinion, the new paint is really nice. The best part of the bike is the front, including the screen, and up to the tank and seat. The rear is disappointing. The tool box is ugly (and used to be too on the 12R) and spoils the whole "silhouette" of the bike. I am sure some well designed leather bag on the bike's sides would look more appropriate. The tail which holds the rear light is too long. But anyway, this is only my taste and humble opinion.
Cheers.
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Hi There,
In my opinion, the new paint is really nice. The best part of the bike is the front, including the screen, and up to the tank and seat. The rear is disappointing. The tool box is ugly (and used to be too on the 12R) and spoils the whole "silhouette" of the bike. I am sure some well designed leather bag on the bike's sides would look more appropriate. The tail which holds the rear light is too long. But anyway, this is only my taste and humble opinion.
Cheers.
You should learn to keep your "humble" opinions to yourself.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

rochsan wrote:Hi There,
Cheers.

I agree completely! Some well designed leather bags would certainly "look" better from a style point of view, the kind of view formed while sitting at home looking at bikes on a computer, or maybe at the local starbucks or pub.
From a functional point of view there's no better solution to carrying thousands of dollars worth of camera gear in every possible climate North America has to offer, something this particular NineT will be ridden in.
Same with the tail section, yeah, it's not ideal if I was going for the retro bobber uber-cool look, as most people on forums have commented. Thing is, nobody but me has to clean all the dirt, mud and road grime off their back so I find it quite useful.

For the last Adventure I did move the box from the rear to the tank to make my bike even more - functional. Putting my camera where I can get to it easier and putting my tent on a rack on the tail. I'm sure the box on the tank is even worse from a style point of view, but for me function is beauty and it certainly doesn't change how well this bike feels while riding it.
But hey, at least I have a blue bag with red lettering for my tent to match the paint, to keep a few style points. :mrgreen:

Get Lost!
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

Paint job a huge improvement, IMHO. Your bike is starting to look like my beautiful Dark White 12R. All you have to do now is change that silly dual muffler for an SC Project carbon can and you're golden. A few questions: Are the front forks an improvement over the Telelever (with Ohlins) like you had before? What make is your plastic camera box? What make are your head guards? And BTW, your adventures on your old 12R were instrumental in my recent 12R purchase.
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

:smt022
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Antoine31 wrote:Paint job a huge improvement, IMHO. Your bike is starting to look like my beautiful Dark White 12R. All you have to do now is change that silly dual muffler for an SC Project carbon can and you're golden. A few questions: Are the front forks an improvement over the Telelever (with Ohlins) like you had before? What make is your plastic camera box? What make are your head guards? And BTW, your adventures on your old 12R were instrumental in my recent 12R purchase.

Thank you! There was a Dark White 12R on the dealer floor when I bought the NineT and it was very tempting to just go with a (LOST) proven design in such a perfect color. In the end the allure of a standard bike with a Boxer motor was too much.
As for the forks and handling... now that I have a fair amount of miles the honeymoon of the stock suspension is over. Don't get me wrong, the Ninet with standard forks handles wonderfully, especially on two lane twisty roads. There's no real noticeable fork dive under heavy braking.
IMHO, a better cornering feel than the 12R with Ohlins after riding them back to back on local awesome roads, BUT where the 12R with Ohlins shines and is much more comfortable is on an Interstate highway. When Nancy and I rode the two bikes cross country this spring, we traded off a few times and the NineT is very harsh on highways compared. If I soften up the compression it doesn't feel good or inspiring in the twisties, there's no happy place in the stock suspension for me so I go with better performance for now.
I don't think the problem is because of the forks vs tele lever, I think it's because the OEM suspension has typical BMW cheap crappy components.
I expect when I install Ohlins forks and a shock I'll be able to dial it in and get the most out of the bike, just like on the R12. Overall I like the standard forks better than tele lever for sure, I just need to upgrade to Ohlins so I can dial it in.
Remember though, to be objective, I'm comparing a high milage bike to a brand new bike. The NineT will never be as comfortable as the 12R for touring, but thankfully for me comfort can take a back seat to more fun for now!

My Box is a HPRC 2200, though there's been a 2100 and 2300 in earlier photos too. 2200 is in the most recent photos.

The head guards are http://machineartmoto.com

Glad I could help you find an awesome bike!

Cheers
Get Lost!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Minimal, beautiful, tasteful.

and badass. I am HUGE fan of naked standards, as well as of the BMW race colors.

well done.

=D>
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Lost Rider wrote:
rochsan wrote:
function is beauty
quote edited for simplicity.

Indeed. I agree.

If I have another person tell me "not a fan of how those two engine heads sticking out looks" I might just snap. lol really? no....seriously...I mean it....REALLY? How is that even a conversation you bring up to someone?

I mean I REALLY REALLY dislike the Humungoloid blimp sized primary drive on the side of Harleys, but I cant argue that it matters...they work just fine, never heard of one failing. <shrugs shoulders> I certainly wouldnt go tell someone that if I see them ride to work on a new bike....

oh, also "dont those heads scrape the ground when you corner?" yeah.. sure do. "if those heads are scraping the groudn in a corner, im already off the bike sliding on me bum.

:lol:

ok. semi off topic rant over.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

peels wrote:
Lost Rider wrote:
rochsan wrote:
function is beauty
quote edited for simplicity.

Indeed. I agree.

If I have another person tell me "not a fan of how those two engine heads sticking out looks" I might just snap. lol really? no....seriously...I mean it....REALLY? How is that even a conversation you bring up to someone?

I mean I REALLY REALLY dislike the Humungoloid blimp sized primary drive on the side of Harleys, but I cant argue that it matters...they work just fine, never heard of one failing. <shrugs shoulders> I certainly wouldnt go tell someone that if I see them ride to work on a new bike....

oh, also "dont those heads scrape the ground when you corner?" yeah.. sure do. "if those heads are scraping the groudn in a corner, im already off the bike sliding on me bum.

:lol:

ok. semi off topic rant over.
Feel better now? :D
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Here are 4 Japanese custom versions of the R-9T
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/17/ja ... torcycles/
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

angellr wrote:
Feel better now? :D
yes, moderately better. thank you. :lol: :lol:

cool article cyclerob. this one is particularly cool. looks factory..... somewhat.

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/up ... 161328.jpg
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

One more question, LR. Are those stock bars on your bike? Somehow they look flatter, with less curve back to the rider. Thinking that might suit me better. If they are aftermarket bars, was it necessary to drill and tap them?
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Stock bars on mine, with ROX risers.

A photo from a LA Ninet meetup we had.

My bike in Naked form, without the risers.

Get Lost!
Antoine31
Basic User

Post by Antoine31 »

LR: So I see that the bars on the R9T are not the same as the R12. Different part numbers and I assume different bends, the R9T being flatter with less bend to the rear. They look like I'd prefer them to the R12 bars, but I'll have to investigate further. New bars would cost $294.00.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Ok....I didn't realize they moved this part of the forum.
Bike looks awesome!!! Love the fairing! Love the paint!!
I need a third job!
Buckster '03R