I'm selling my 07' R1200R.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new BMW R nineT.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

I'm selling my 07' R1200R.

Post by Lost Rider »

I always figured I'd wait till I hit the magical 100K mark I'm nearing now with my trusty R1200R before considering something new to replace it.
While my copy of the 12R has proven to take just about anything I can throw at it and then some, I have no illusions about the costs it will take to keep on going like I've been for years to come. There's so many wearable parts that are still original on my bike, it's just not feasible to start dumping a bunch of cash into it and I'd be concerned about reliability for long trips soon enough without doing so. When I'm not away it's my only daily driver plus a few long trips a year the miles keep adding up quick.
It doesn't really burn any oil still, runs like a champ and still looks sharp, at least to me.

But it's time for something new. I've been keeping an open mind, hitting all the various bike shops, poking around online for whats out there currently and making a realistic assessment of what purpose a bike to replace my R would need to fill. I have a DS bike capable of riding donkey trails or long haul adventures with the Husaberg, so any big heavy DS bike is out of the question.
I kind of liked one of the naked Guzzi's, but no ABS killed that thought, didn't care for any of the all too sexy Red Ducati offerings and Triumph isn't my cup of tea either. MV or Aprilla don't cut it for me and forget about anything else with an inline 4 from Japan. You couldn't give me a HD to ride, well you could give me one and I'll sell it without ever riding it.

There's there's this place, I mean, I can't give up this forum just because I decided to get another brand bike...

SO, all that takes me right back to the Motherland of BMW.
I've always been keep on the new 1200R Classic since they came out...
Beautiful bike, reliable, ABS and almost as cool as my pinstriped 12R. ;)
The promise of a wet head BMW roadster has been something I'm interested in though, I mean I rode a GSW and that motor was amazing. From all the looks of the new wet head bikes though, I don't have faith that BMW will keep the spaceship/fighterjet look out of the R, what if I wait another year only to be disappointed?...

But now there's another option.

The BMW nineT.
Simple modern classic, again almost as good looking as my pin-striped 12R.
OK, who am I kidding, that bike to me is pure art, a perfect blend of old and new without looking too "retro" or too modern.
No windshield options for now, no pannier options for now, but yet I think I can make it work for what i need a replacement for my 12R to be. I like making bikes work for me without buying a specialized bike.

It's been decided, I'm officially 7th in line at my local dealer for a shiny new nineT and my bike is going to Nancy so it can stay in the family because lets face it, nobody would want to buy my bike. :lol:
We're trading in her G650GS, she doesn't ride it much now that she has a smaller, lighter Honda bike for our adventures and I figure with the low miles she'll put on the R I can make it last for years without major work.
Plus, I get to stay around here on this forum! :mrgreen:

It's a win win situation, now if BMW would just hurry up and get those R9T's in the dealer showrooms....

Get Lost!
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: I'm selling my 07' R1200R.

Post by MTBeemer »

It is a gorgeous motorcycle. Think you'll be pleased with your decision.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

• Cool bike selection
    Glad that a nineT will be ridden hard by a real rider
    Happy you'll remain involved here on the Roadster board.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

I've always found my R1200R Classic makes it difficult to rationalize getting a second bike (for me the contenders would be an R1200RT, R1200GS, K1600GT, K1300S, Monster, CB1100, Griso, or even a Road King). You have found a clever way, but I doubt Nancy is fooled.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Congrats on your decision! I would never have guessed the R9T would be your next bike due to front suspension and seemingly difficult to set it up for long distance adventures but if anyone can do it you can. :smt023
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

@l Lost Rider: I'd like to be in your place now.... :P A very good decision
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thanks all!
Yeah it took some time for me to look around to get right back to where I'm at with a boxer motor. The R9T at first glance didn't do it for me, the first photos I saw were of the no tail section flavor bobber and I thought it looked stupid and couldn't work for me. Then more photos started coming out with the various options for the rear end, including passenger foot pegs and then it started to grow on me. If there's room for a passenger, there's room for camping or photo gear... and the rest of the bike is gorgeous.
I feel confident I can figure out how to pack this bike, I mean I can pack a little dirt bike with everything I need to travel, I will figure this one out. I don't need full size hard panniers anymore, some soft bags will work, BMW is supposedly coming out with some sort of luggage for this bike soon too so we'll see. Heck, the photo above with the tail bag is more than enough room to carry camping gear for me.
It's going to be fun figuring it all out. A little sport screen or bikini fairing will be welcomed too. As for standard forks, I'm actually looking forward to having a little more feedback when in the canyons, I've always like the tele lever on the 12R, but am fine without it too on other bikes like the f800r we had, it's certainly no deal breaker for me. ABS and heated grips are the only must haves for me.
Either way I'm very excited about getting a new boxer and passing on the torch to Nancy as I think she's going to greatly enjoy the 12R too, once we get the shocks re-sprung for her weight and a low seat. She's ridden it many times, but I think it will be much different and better for her when it's hers.

It's going to be a long spring waiting...

How many R1200R owners are interested in buying a 9T to replace your current bike?
Get Lost!
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Your choice of new bike is acceptable to me on the condition that you promise to share your upcoming photos of it in various unsuitable environments with us ;)

I'd love a R9T but I'm not yet at a place where I would be willing to give up my pinstriped R. Use my R as do it all and would not be willing to give up the nice lockable luggage on it. I'm guessing the R9T will be a little more cramped as well?

Figure I'll probably hold out for the wethead R. Still got plenty of life on my pinstriped 07 with only 90k kms on it so far.

Smart move to give your bike to Nancy, I bet she wont protest you buying a new one then =D>
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Yeah it took some time for me to look around to get right back to where I'm at with a boxer motor. The R9T at first glance didn't do it for me, the first photos I saw were of the no tail section flavor bobber and I thought it looked stupid and couldn't work for me. Then more photos started coming out with the various options for the rear end, including passenger foot pegs and then it started to grow on me. If there's room for a passenger, there's room for camping or photo gear... and the rest of the bike is gorgeous.
I feel confident I can figure out how to pack this bike, I mean I can pack a little dirt bike with everything I need to travel, I will figure this one out. I don't need full size hard panniers anymore, some soft bags will work, BMW is supposedly coming out with some sort of luggage for this bike soon too so we'll see. Heck, the photo above with the tail bag is more than enough room to carry camping gear for me.
It's going to be fun figuring it all out. A little sport screen or bikini fairing will be welcomed too. As for standard forks, I'm actually looking forward to having a little more feedback when in the canyons, I've always like the tele lever on the 12R, but am fine without it too on other bikes like the f800r we had, it's certainly no deal breaker for me. ABS and heated grips are the only must haves for me.
Yup to all that. My dealer has promised me one if they get it. To me it'll be a beefed-up version of the 650X Scramber I owned (G650X), and save for a couple of ponies, and a rear sub-frame too fragile to handle weight without cracking, it was really my perfect bike. The R Nine T is everything I've always wanted my R1200R to be.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Joe - glad to hear the R12R is staying in the family.. Will hopefully be out in the left coast area sometime in March for a week or two - bringing my riding gear this time (hint!).. :)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Woland wrote:Your choice of new bike is acceptable to me on the condition that you promise to share your upcoming photos of it in various unsuitable environments with us ;)

I'd love a R9T but I'm not yet at a place where I would be willing to give up my pinstriped R. Use my R as do it all and would not be willing to give up the nice lockable luggage on it. I'm guessing the R9T will be a little more cramped as well?

Figure I'll probably hold out for the wethead R. Still got plenty of life on my pinstriped 07 with only 90k kms on it so far.

Smart move to give your bike to Nancy, I bet she wont protest you buying a new one then =D>

Photos are a given. :D
Though honestly, as shown around here my 12R was my gateway drug to Adventure riding, now that I have choices of bikes in the garage there will be no need to put the 9T through the same type of riding I did on my R... gravel roads for sure to get to neat out of the way places, but I'll leave the unsuitable environments to better suited bikes.
It's kind of funny though if you watch the BMW official video on the BMWUSA website for the 9T, it shows those guys riding on gravel roads, something that surprised me since it's marketing from BMW that you don't need a 600 pound $20K+ GSA fully loaded with touratech gear to get off the beaten path. Something many of us 12R owners here have known for a while. :D Still thought it was out of character for BMW to show that.

I think that as options come out for the 9T, it's going to make the decision harder for some of which to buy since they are very similar bikes.

You got it Don, my bike is your bike to ride anytime.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Lost Rider wrote:Thanks all!
Either way I'm very excited about getting a new boxer and passing on the torch to Nancy as I think she's going to greatly enjoy the 12R too, once we get the shocks re-sprung for her weight and a low seat. She's ridden it many times, but I think it will be much different and better for her when it's hers.

It's going to be a long spring waiting...

How many R1200R owners are interested in buying a 9T to replace your current bike?
I sit here reading this somewhat stunned, but not surprised! I have not seen one in person, however, my thoughts might be different after I see one in the "flesh". Have been leaning toward a '14 WhiteBlack R12 without anything but the windscreen and hand guards, as that is my dream bike! I won't be getting hard bags, just the tail-bag/tank-bag setup. Not sure my inseam can handle the RT9, however, hope to ride one soon. You and Nancy stay out of trouble!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Yay, Joe! I hope yours arrives before summer and can't wait to see your photos. With no ASC, I fear you'll have a tough time avoiding wheelies. :D

Is it true the brakes aren't linked on the nineT? (If so, how old school!)
Bill
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thanks Bob! We're trying.... but not too hard.

Bill,
Wheelies, me?

I do believe the 9T has the same braking setup as out R's, but listed below it says integral but can be turned off. I've really just started scouring the web for the little details. I did hear though that the lighting is separate from the CANBUS system to allow for easier customization, it will be interesting to see how they implemented that. The details are a little confusing and since nobody really owns one yet...

Here's some more info from BMW:

Get Lost!
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Good write up here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... eT:+Review

Is it saying the ABS and brakes are not linked?

"With the NineT Roland had a very clear impression of what the bike needed to be and that's why it is lacking virtually all electronic gadgetry. No traction control, fuel modes, power modes or even water-cooling. ABS was allowed, but only on the insistence that it wasn't linked front and back so that the rider could impress their mates with a burnout or two."
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
Linked brakes, no linked brakes, as long as ABS is an option I'll be happy. No burn outs for me though, I need those tires to last!
Get Lost!
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

I just saw and sat on the R nine T at the bike show in Vancouver. The seat height is lower than my 2013 90th R, and alittle more upright stance when sitting. The build quality is outstanding. The forks are huge! The tank is a work of art. All I use on my R is a tankbag and tail bag, sometimes a duffle roll strapped on. I had hard bags on my K1200S and never used them. If I can get my money, or the right trade in value, the 90th will go and the 9 will be the ride.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hey, Joe,
Disclaimer: I have the flu and when I have fever I get dense(r) and stupid(er).

So, other than the lure of the strange (dopamine spikes are hard to resist) and aesthetics, what does the r9t offer that the new r12r would not?

I fully appreciate your reasons to retire your 12, but isn't the r9t arguably a step down? No hard case ava, only a sport screen, no linked brakes, no telelever. It may have all the quality Berlin is able to incorporate, but those things lacking seem important for long distance riding, at least to me. Coming back from Big Bend last week in 38 degree rain/sleet, I was glad I had all of those things, ie a big enough cee bailey screen, linked brakes, hard cases and telelever suspension.
Looking at it the other way, if you had a r9t for years and it was approaching retirement for the resaons you list, wouldn't all the things it lacks vis a vis the r12r make a compelling argument to get the r12r?

Not challenging your decision, but I'me sure you thought about these things?

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Sheer beauty and form may be enough reason alone to buy a bike, all the rest will fall into place. From the little emblem in the center of the headlight to the attractive air intake (why does the intake on the R1200R look like a donkey penis?) the Nine is an affordable production work of art. I'm sure with those forks and BMW brakes, it will be a joy to ride, and capable. I could be blinded by love!
PhilSB
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by PhilSB »

I bought another bike last week. 500cc in line twin, shaft drive, 1956 Sunbeam S8.Totally emission free, until I get the engine back in :lol:
I can't decide what to change my 07 R1200R for. I thought a 1000R would do the trick but I think 169bhp might be just a bit too much for me. Meanwhile I'll play with my classic toy.

Phil