The best motorcycle

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

The best motorcycle

Post by lcarlson »

Most of these boards are so moribund, I hesitated to post something new, but WTH.

It’s been many years since I’ve owned a middleweight motorcycle, as I always thought I needed “more”. But in early June, a friend and I rented bikes for a week-long tour in Northern California. I chose an F700GS, a machine that I figured would be fine for a rental, but which I’d never considered buying. A modestly powered parallel twin with chain final drive? Meh. Well, after close to 1000 miles on all sorts of roads, from construction zones to the freeways and everything in between, my eyes had been opened. I thought, “this is probably the best all-around motorcycle I’ve ever ridden.” I bought a new one as soon as I got home, and every ride since reinforces my conclusion.

It’s far from the highest performance bike I’ve owned, but it does everything I need it to do, superbly. It’s effortless to ride, and everything just plain works together. Somehow, BMW made this one more than the sum of its parts. That rental was serendipity.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: The best motorcycle

Post by Buckster »

Enjoy!
Buckster '03R
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Congrats.

The F700GS low suspension model is on my shortlist for a new bike.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
airhead_irl
Basic User

Post by airhead_irl »

A very underrated bike from what I'm reading. They have a slightly de-tuned 800 cc motor, right ?
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

airhead_irl wrote:A very underrated bike from what I'm reading. They have a slightly de-tuned 800 cc motor, right ?
That’s correct — claimed 75 hp vs. 85 hp for the F800GS (which is too tall for me).
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

"The best motorcycle" IS a relative term, relative to the person that rode or rides one. Being a street rider, I can echo your enthusiasm for the BMW water cooled twins. You can ride it fast, slow, solo or 2-up, in traffic or backing it out of the garage, it requires less effort than my OilHead did. Way back in 2009, I rode my `02 R1150R to the Atlanta BMW open house for a new model look-see, a Coke and a couple of grilled Bratwursts. Saw the dark Blue WATER COOLED, BELT DRIVE, DOHC F800ST, heard it running and decided to test ride it. Out on the road the lightness of the bike, the flawless and impressive response from tiny throttle changes, Honda-easy shifting, pleasant exhaust notes, hub-less brake rotors, steel valve stems threaded into beautiful lightweight mags and advanced next generation engine/electrical technologies had me hooked. I sat down at a salesman's desk and ordered a Champagne Silver non ABS model. The Best unexpected quick decision I ever made (besides wanting a second date+ with my wife of 31 yrs, Ann). Now 9 years later the bike has only needed, besides tire and fluid changes, a signal light bulb, headlight low beam bulb and then a Yuasa GYZ16H battery @ 6years 9months. Factor in 58--72 MPG the way I ride, on regular grade Shell/Texaco/Chevron since new and it is money well spent!
Recently turned over 30K miles . . . with the original drive belt looking like new. Serious responsibilities and old age have encouraged me to abandon those A-Rider thrill rides and since Bash number 1 in 2004, miss a few recent Bashes (2013, 14, 16, 17, 18), but the F800ST is still the bike to own for me.
BTW, when Boxer lived here, an hour away, we had bike work appointments there and here, so I am familiar with that impressive F800GS model too.
When the sky clears from the remnants of hurricane Florence, I'm going for a ride.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

The only fly in the ointment for me is the chain final drive. After I sold my Diavel I swore I’d never own another bike with a chain, but the GS was just too good. The solution: I just had a Scottoiler installed (BMW has an official joint venture with Scottoiler), which is claimed to eliminate the need for both manual chain cleaning and lubing. I’ve only had it for a couple of hundred miles, but the gunk on the chain from lubing with chain wax is indeed disappearing as I ride! If this device lives up to its promise, anybody with a CFD bike would be insane not to have it.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
lcarlson

Re: The best motorcycle (now Scottoiler)

Post by lcarlson »

Update: Seven months later, the Scottoiler has entirely lived up to its promise. I haven’t had to touch the chain in 5000 miles. It is always lightly lubed, is self-cleaning, and has not needed adjustment. I have no financial interest in this product, but it is the very first modification I would make on any chain drive motorcycle.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

I like the story from the start of you riding a hired one to now. Part of me wants an f800 series and I nearly bought one recently but decided for now to keep the Rockster as I’ve refreshed it.
Last edited by Tigcraft on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

In much the same way as the best camera is the one in your hand: the best motorcycle is the one between your legs. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tigcraft
Basic User

Post by Tigcraft »

Back to what I’ve said in the upper post, I’ve just stumbled on a high mileage f800gt pampered to death example with no expense spared at handy money so I’ve just added it to my fleet. Not even rode it yet due to weather and had it a fortnight!!