Cat Removal..?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Wheezer!
Basic User

Cat Removal..?

Post by Wheezer! »

Anyone got advice about this. I have an aftermarket exhaust can on order (for my 800R) which I understand will come with a link pipe to enable the removal of the cat. There appears to be a wire coming from the cat, which I assume is for the sensors for the fuel management (?)

So should I just have the can fitted and leave everything else well alone? Or if I use the link pipe to get rid of the cat what about the sensors..??

Thanks.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Cat Removal..?

Post by sweatmark »

Recommend you ask over in F800 Riders... Oh, I see you've done that already. Few of us here with F800s, fewer still with any modifications.

But if you wanted to chat about R1150R modifications...
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Wheezer!,
On our ST and S models the stock O2 sensor is on the header pipe before the clamp joint that goes to the muffler/Cat assembly. Is your R model the same? If you are adding just a muffler, it will likely need a "link pipe" to connect to the stock header clamp joint, turn the corner and reach the new muffler's inlet. The O2 sensor is a necessary component for a street bike engine to run properly, essentially fine tuning the fuel injected as the barometer, throttle opening, RPM, engine and ambient air temperatures change.

On the S/ST stock muffler, the Catalyst component is invisibly incorperated inside the beginning portion of the muffler, making the whole thing look like a regular muffler.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Thanks for your reply CRob. What I think is the cat is under the bike immediately after where the '2' goes into '1' and before the pipe to the can. There is a wire through a metal sleeve coming from it...? I'll try and take a pic!
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

Wheezer! wrote:Anyone got advice about this. I have an aftermarket exhaust can on order (for my 800R) which I understand will come with a link pipe to enable the removal of the cat. There appears to be a wire coming from the cat, which I assume is for the sensors for the fuel management (?)

So should I just have the can fitted and leave everything else well alone? Or if I use the link pipe to get rid of the cat what about the sensors..??

Thanks.
Wheezer,

While not really answering your question I will offer an interesting link. I'm seriously looking into a new F800GT to replace my aging R1150R, so I was surfing for exhaust systems for the supposed new bike and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71497MI-COLLECT ... 263wt_1212

It's a full Arrow header system, no CAT. The price is reasonable. If you install the new Two Brothers muffler with it, the price will still only be 7 or 8 bills for the whole system.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Wheezer!
Yesterday I looked at an F800GT in the showroom at the Atlanta BMW bi-annual open house. The Cat is about a 3" diameter welded on bulge near the end of the header pipe, about a foot before the exit end of the header pipe. That means you can add any aftermarket slip-on designed for the F800GT and not concern yourself with the O2 sensor and it's wires. That seems to have "fixed" the problem of loosing the catalyst when aftermarket slip-ons were used on the previous generation S/ST models. The ($$$) full racing systems are designed to favor maximum power at the sustained high RPM's on the racetrack, so choose wisely.

BTW, I put on 116 miles for that ride, and, except for the occasional heavy traffic congestion it was a nice ride in 78+ degrees F.
`09 F800ST

Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Thanks all. I'd not understood that the link pipe is just to connect up the new can. So I'm just gonna go with the replacement can, which arrived last friday...Not got it on yet. It's just for looks and a better sound really. I hope that performance and fuel consumption will be unnaffected. Will that be the case??
Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »

Update. Well the cat thing was all a misunderstanding on my part. To get rid of it a complete new system would be required. That's an expense too far at the moment. So the new can is on. Was a struggle as the new fitment was not quite perfectly round so it had to be 'rounded out' with a clever tool. Luckily the guy doing it had one... and even then it was VEEEERRRY tight. The supplied strap was too short so had to order another which took a little time...
But it's on. Got one db killer in and one db killer out. Sounds fab....Loud but not obnoxiously so and not harsh.
Performance and fuel consumption seem unaffected...!! And I think it looks great
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Wheezer!, After reading about your installation woes, the link pipe (adapter?) may have been necessary for the F800R model bike to eliminate the too small muffler inlet and the too short mounting bracket.
`09 F800ST

Wheezer!
Basic User

Post by Wheezer! »